Old 07-01-2005, 12:16 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
....okay dying to know - how is it that you are traveling 6+months on a road trip????? cause we got to get us that kind of road trip before we are 45
Long story, but here is the short version....

My wife Angela had back surgery in April 2004. Docs expected her to fully recover after about 6 - 9 mos. But of course, she didn't. Still had a lot of the complications post surgery as she had pre surgery. Doc finally put his foot down and said, "You haven't recovered b/c you went back to work about a month after surgery. You were supposed to take at least 6 mos off, no stress, no work, no nothing except recuperation and a little bit of physical therapy. SO STOP WORKING!!!!!"

Well, we'd been talking about a trip like this for about 3 years, and we realized that our client work was always going to be there (we run our own interior design and construction/remodel management company - turn key remodels mostly), so we decided to shut down the business for a while, sell our homes, buy the A/S, and enjoy life while we can appreciate it. Now, after 7 weeks into the trip, Angela said she has been able to walk w/out pain for the first time in about 5 years (she was wheel chair bound prior to surgery). So the trip and relaxation has done her wonders. Ah yes, our dog Kenzie loves that we are around all the time to play with him. He thinks this trip is only for his benefit!

BTW, I'm 37 and Angela 34, and for anyone in any age group, I highly recommend to just get out there and start Airstreaming as soon as you can. Life is much too short....

Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:55 PM   #16
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Mike and Angela.

I want to be you when I'm reincarnated....what a trip, and just about the right lenghth of time to do what you are doing. With us there would always be the chance that we may never come home though, until money ran out.

Happy and safe travels.

Jonathan

Old 07-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Mike and Angela,

That's a great story. You're right, "life is too short". While I'm 49, and still have to work (for my family and my pension), I decided not to wait to get an Airstream. We bought a 2004 CCD last year and have had some real special family time together. While my two daughters don't show their enthusiam, I know that these times spent in some really neat places will be something they'll hold dear in their memories for the rest of their lives. I only wish I had bought an AS years sooner. Have a great adventure.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:19 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Winterville , North Carolina
We really enjoyed the pictures and look forward to the time when we can do the same! Thanks Leland and Gail
Old 07-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Photogenius

Cool photography which captures a great deal of fun and beauty.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:32 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
The Pictures and stories were Awesome !!! Good luck and good health in your travels, Your travels are what most dream of !!!!! Thanks for sharing them with us !!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 11:02 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
more to the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by scf31
The Pictures and stories were Awesome !!!
I posted the pictures of the second leg of our trip on this thread, if you want to see a continuation of our journey!

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=17222

I had given the short story last time. Here is a little longer version for those interested. Not only is this trip for Angela's recuperation and health, but we wanted to check out of the "rat race" and find something a little more slower pace. We decided that we would use this trip to also search for that ideal piece of land, or the perfect home, where we could settle down affordably, start our family, and enjoy that which we love most - the great outdoors. Well, after 8 years of dreaming about it, planning for it, and working extremely hard towards it, we have finally found the property of our dreams - and earlier on in our AS road trip than expected! On Monday, our real estate agent let us know that the seller accepted our offer!!!! We are incredibly excited. On the property, we will build the timberframe home that we designed until 4 am in the morning the night Angela and I got engaged. This will take 3-4 years of buildout as time and money allows. To raise funds, we are selling shares in our guest room for those who would like to visit and partake of some of the area's wonderful champagne powder skiing, ice climbing, rock climbing, mountain biking, fly fishing, horse riding, golfing, wine drinking, wine drinking, did we mention wine drinking, and of course, wine drinking. The IPO for our guest room will occur in the Spring of 2006 and listed on NASDAQ under the symbol BRK (Broke as hell!) So send money now!!!!!

Enjoy the photos of the property! No need to sign in or join to view the photos.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=xl8k1ah.bezymt91&x=0&y=9seadn

p.s. we are continuing our Airstream trip after we close escrow and will be back in San Francisco around Sept or Oct. We can only afford a cardboard box under the bay bridge, but we will be happy working as indentured servants until we pay off the property and construction loan. So we will go back to the rat race for a little while, but at least we know now what awaits us at the end of the tunnel! Remember, please send money now!!!

- Mike & Angela & our dog/son Kenzie
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
Old 08-12-2005, 09:17 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Man, that is a sweet piece of property you have there. I love the Breckenridge area. By the way My girl friend and I will be passing by next spring in our 19í CCD on the way to Fruita MTN Bike Festival and 18 hour race. Post picís of your Motolite when yopu get a chance! LOL
Old 08-12-2005, 09:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
fantastic pictures

Congratulations on your maiden voyage and a big THANK YOU for bringing us along! I had a wonderful time on your vacation. Gorgeous scenics, stunning reflections, interesting and unusual people (and dog) shots and a bit of humour, nice span of images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmimi
Hello everyone!

My wife and I are on our maiden voyage, and about 4 weeks in to a 6+ month road trip. I loaded a ton of low res photos onto ofoto.com (a lot easier than trying to put onto a gallery on this forum). Feel free to view the photos at:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-v34jyd

You don't need to join ofoto. Just double-click on the photo of the airstream and it will start the slide show. (Warning: 145 photos or so). If you want the whole story behind our trip, PM me! I'll responde whenever we have internet access.

Also, if anyone has advice on the following thread, please let me know:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=16895

Thanks! I'll post more photos as the trip progresses. We are currently in Santa Fe NM and on Saturday head to Durango CO. We also met our very first airstreamforums members, Mary and Gary from Texas, while we were at the KOA in Albuquerque NM. Nice to see some of us out there!

- Mike & Angela & our son/dog Kenzie

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:48 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
Titus pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipw
By the way My girl friend and I will be passing by next spring in our 19í CCD on the way to Fruita MTN Bike Festival and 18 hour race. Post picís of your Motolite when yopu get a chance! LOL
Chip-

Here's a pic of the Titus!

Some specs: Chris King head set, XTR hubs and wheels, XTR Cranks, SRAM X.0 grip shift and X.0 front and rear derailleurs, Candy Ti pedals, Fox TALAS 90-140mm, Fox RP3 rear shock, Marta SL hydraulic brakes, Easton Monkey Lite low rise handlebars, Thompson stem, WTB seat. baby weighs in at 26.4 lbs. Sweetest ride I've ever been on, and the single track around Breck is absolutely incredible. I almost like the bike as much as our Airstream!

Drop me a line on your way through Breck next spring. If we are here, you can park on our property and we can share a ride! The Colorado trail is about 1/2 mile from our driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tituslake.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	13967  
Old 08-15-2005, 12:57 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Sweet bike! I almost went with a Titus raerx last year, ended up with a Santa Cruz blur but now have come full circle back to a hardtail! LOL

By the way here are a few pic's of our airstream in action at the Odysee one day Adventure race this year:

http://www.waramos.com/displayimage.php?album=69&pos=41
http://www.waramos.com/displayimage.php?album=69&pos=43

http://www.waramos.com/displayimage.php?album=69&pos=44