Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Photography
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2018, 06:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
May 2018 Photography Contest - "In a pinch"

Where and when have you used your Airstream out of necessity in the urgency of the moment, rather than because you were checking some fantastic vacation destination off your bucket list?

We tend to think mostly of our rigs in the leisure context, but in fact they can provide a vital home-away-from-home when no other good options are attainable to us.

This theme is inspired in part by the story of Mr. Don Bell of Texas, who bought a camper van specifically so that he could live part time in the parking lot of a medical care facility while his wife was being treated. His story became publicly known because a careless driver smashed his rig shortly after she died - that poor man couldn't catch a break (description here).

Your "in a pinch" story might not be a sad one like that, though. It might involve the birth of a new baby, a family reunion, traveling to your child's sporting event where no accommodations were available, using your rig while volunteering in your community, helping someone known to you by letting them stay in your rig, etc.

If you choose to depict a medical scenario, be sensitive to the associated privacy issues. To kick off the thread, here is my contribution, a lonely Airstream overnighting in a hospital parking lot where a loved one was undergoing a procedure.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I used my trailer as a disaster response base in Houston after Harvey. We parked on the airport ramp, right next to the aircraft we were using each day. With all of the rotor wash I didn't dare open the awning!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	310056  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Thank-you for such an interesting and refreshing theme.

My "in a pinch" story involves my gourmet-food business. I started out in the basement of a run-down Greek restaurant. Not the best place for potential clients to sample product, particularly those brides-to-be, amidst the clatter of banging pots, swearing in Greek -- Scata! -- and the perpetual odour of pungent garlic.

I had also retained a business consultant and professional web designer. We would meet in coffee shops. A lousy place for a consultation, IMO. Noisy and distracting.

So, I decided to make the driveway FaN my sampling kitchen and corporate headquarters. (My product was still made under the Greek restaurant as per health requirements). The FaN was the ideal place to host potential clients and other business interests. The FaN also offered quick and easy access for all, as we are close to a freeway interchange. I was proud to offer my food product and discuss business in the FaN.

Like many upstart businesses, we had our struggles and triumphs. I have recently turned the biz over to a partner, but he would like me to return. I have not decided. Regardless, I will always cherish those beginnings in the FaN. The building of a business is akin to giving birth to a child. The FaN was a great nursery.

Photo: The FaN's interior, a.k.a. corporate HQ.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Caught in a compromising position with Dale by Roy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Roy and Dale.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	310325  
Old 05-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
all white and stuck between 5th wheelers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	as22Fb between large trailers-sm.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	310340  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Hunting Camp

Last year, a friend of mine developed terminal glioblastoma (brain tumor) at the age of 44. He has always hunted with me (ducks, turkey, pheasant, etc...) and several of us took him to Michigan’s U.P. on what was to be his final hunt. Another friend drove his RV so he could sleep when necessary, and we brought a side-by-side ORV to get him as close as possible to the hunting blind.

I hauled the Airstream up to the farm where we camped, hunted, and celebrated a great life.

The photo was taken on our final night.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A692BE9B-77F6-4CA1-B399-6E6C5F484ED1.png
Views:	129
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	310441  
Old 05-08-2018, 04:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
An amazing photo and heart-warming story. Such kindness shown for your friend -- may he rest in peace.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
One Last Trip Before the Greatest Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
An amazing photo and heart-warming story. Such kindness shown for your friend -- may he rest in peace.

I agree.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Sacramento , California
Pick the winner Inter Blog...although I think we all know who it is!
silver bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
. . .
Your "in a pinch" story might not be a sad one like that, though.
. . .
Wondering also . . .

Thanks
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bean View Post
Pick the winner Inter Blog...although I think we all know who it is!
Gosh, the pressure is on me!! I'm not sure y'all will agree with me, but this boils down to OP's privilege:

HiHoAgRV. There's no way that anyone can post a Harvey-related story without putting a complete lock on the heart of a Houstonian such as myself. What Harvey did to my area was beyond comprehension. Eighty-two people dead. Fifteen thousand people displaced. One hundred thirty six thousand flooded structures in Harris County alone. Over half a million FEMA registrations for disaster assistance. As I write this, we still have people living in tents in some of our outlying areas, even as daily highs approach 100 degrees F. Houstonians are never complainers - we don't scream and wail when bad things befall us, and as a result, the commercial news media under-reports what happens here. Our composure cuts both ways - it shows our dignity, but to this day, I don't think the rest of America understands how devastating Harvey was and how many peoples' lives were destroyed by it.

OF COURSE, the highest possible honorable mention goes to Hibby for the story that transcends all other reasons why anyone would own an Airstream, or any other brand of vehicle or RV. Or do anything whatsoever with their time and energy. If we can't use what we have to be there for our loved ones, then nothing else could ever matter.

So, HiHoAgRV, the baton is now passed to you. And thanks to everyone for posting.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Oh dear, um thanks! I concur that the folks of Houston are cut from a special cloth. Nobody was standing around waiting for help, they dug in and worked thru hardship as a community. We were sent home in half of the expected time because of the local people's efforts.

Let's see what we can work up for a June theme.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
WOW......very kind !
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote