Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Photography
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Kodachrome anyone??

I was reading the on-line New York Times this morning and ran across this article: http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...and-memory/?hp

I was a die-hard Kodachrome user and am still shooting slide film exclusively, with over 14,000 slides in the basement. Have switched to Fuji Velvia but still pine for Kodachrome. Don't know how much longer I can hold out on the switch to digital but will keep going as long as possible.

When our children visit a high light is always a slide show. We just let them pick out carousels at random and then we settle in for a journey down memory lane. It's a guaranteed good time.

So, my preamble over, the question is: any former Kodachrome users out there, or ANY film users left??

Curious minds want to know!!

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Sure - sometimes film, but more recently more digital. Gave up on Kodachrome a long time ago, when my 'stash' ran out, and switched to Velvia - 50 for landscapes and deep color saturation, despite the color shifts, 100 for skin tone rendition. Ken Rockwell discusses some of this here: Fuji Velvia 50 ... but you've gotta' take what he says with a grain of salt at all times. But I generally agree with him on this.

And yes, putting those big ol' slides up on the screen still has some magic to it, doesn't it? I've also got boxes of Kodachromes, Ektachromes, etc. in the basement. One day it'll flood, and that'll be the end of that. And one day there'll be that big magnetic pulse, and there'll go all the images I've got on hard drives too. Entropy at work.

+RHH+
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
I have a Nikon N-55 you can buy that I bought right before I gave in to the digital photo world. I held out until I started selling things on the internet and found that people want pictures and they want them right now. In my opinion you just can't get a true to life shot of a sunset or sunrise if you don't have a camera with a good roll of film in it. Stand your ground, and pack a few rolls of film while doing it.
OldVwHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I was always more of a print guy.

I am mourning Agfa Ultra 50 and Kodak Ektar 25. (Both in 35mm and 120)
Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
There is nothing like film... Period.

As I am forced to observe our grandkritters grow up on Facebook, I wonder, when the EMP devices go off, what will remain?

We cherish the few remaining pics from family after ravages of house fire, hurricanes, and psychosis, etc.

The beauty, depth and capture of the soul that film gives, can only be appreciated by a few of us.

From the cost standpoint I have to say digital rules. I have all family pics on a "chip", that includes my Dads baby book which I carefully scanned in then shared with my siblings.

As long as you can, shoot!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I think I read that even if you have any Kodachrome there is only one place in the world that still can process it, and I read that several years ago. I think it was in the mid west, like Iowa...

It was a lovely film, especially old Kodachrome 10 which is what I started with. But, both the world and I have moved on. I like my digital cameras now, and can process things all by myself (download) and make prints, color changes, corrections and so on. When I was doing color printing at home, I could make 4 prints in 5 hours using Cibachrome print process. If I wanted, now, I could make 4 prints in about 10 minutes on my digital printer. And the quality of the original image never changes with digital, like it does with most film over time.

*sings* Give me a Nikon Camera.... momma don't take my Kodachrome away...

But momma did.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
I Started Out With A Nikon "S" And Now Use A Nikon d800

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
I was reading the on-line New York Times this morning and ran across this article: http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...and-memory/?hp

I was a die-hard Kodachrome user and am still shooting slide film exclusively, with over 14,000 slides in the basement. Have switched to Fuji Velvia but still pine for Kodachrome. Don't know how much longer I can hold out on the switch to digital but will keep going as long as possible.

When our children visit a high light is always a slide show. We just let them pick out carousels at random and then we settle in for a journey down memory lane. It's a guaranteed good time.

So, my preamble over, the question is: any former Kodachrome users out there, or ANY film users left??

Curious minds want to know!!

John S.
I'm retired, but for forty plus years, I owned an advertising company both in Dallas, and Branson. My last client in Dallas was American Airlines. We designed the inflight.

After moving to Branson, foodservice; I worked for companies like Tyson, Jimmie Dean and Sara Lee to name a few.

Why do I dwell on the above? It gives a sense of just how much photography has been a MAJOR part of my professional life.

Yes, in its day, the various types of film were great.

BUT…the advances in digital are beyond fantastic. Problem with many is the reluctance to invest the time and effort to negotiate the learning curve necessary to do GREAT digital.

And believe me, there are examples posted everywhere.

Go to the URL listed in my signature. Look at my stuff if you want, but more important, you'll find a lot of really great stuff done by digital shooters.

Sure there's a plethora of mediocracy, there but the stuff that keeps showing up in competitions sponsored by the camera manufacturers, The National Park System, and many other similar organizations is beyond much of the capability of traditional film.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I think I read that even if you have any Kodachrome there is only one place in the world that still can process it, and I read that several years ago. I think it was in the mid west, like Iowa...
According to Wikipedia -"During its heyday, many Kodak and independent laboratories processed Kodachrome, but by 2010, one Kodak-certified facility remained: Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, Kansas.[15] On July 14, 2010, it was announced[16] that the last roll of Kodachrome manufactured had been developed by Dwayne's for photographer Steve McCurry on assignment for National Geographic."

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
*sings* Give me a Nikon Camera.... momma don't take my Kodachrome away...

But momma did.
A couple of years ago, I sponsered a "Photo-of-the-Month" thread with this song as the subject - with some beautiful B&W photos posted.

But I too was a fan of Kodachrome...ahhh, the good ol' days!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I loved using film and have had many great cameras. But I muyst say my Nikon Digital is a joy to use and the software for editing is terrific. We will always ride bikes, but cars are generally more useful.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Trivia...I have no idea if true...

Who was the largest beef producer in the world?

I was told it was Kodak as they needed the hooves for the gelatin...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
I loved using film and have had many great cameras. But I muyst say my Nikon Digital is a joy to use and the software for editing is terrific.
I have to agree...I have a Nikon D60 and love it. One thing I do love about digital cameras is being able to take a lot more pics and not have to wory about the expense of developing "bad shots".

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I still have about twenty rolls of assorted film, HP5 and some Velvia, in the fridge but recently have been toying with the idea of selling it and my last remaining film camera on ebay.

Digital is so good these days that any quality comparison with 35mm film is pointless in my opinion - digital, when handled properly, will come out on top, especially in low and natural light situations. I've been shooting professionally for over twenty years now, working in advertising, so I've experienced the evolution of digital first-hand. If it's the film look that people are after even that can be matched.

Now, if we'd be talking large format photography, that's a whole 'nother cattle of fish of course.

One analogue camera I still use frequently, and am not ready to ditch, is my Polaroid. I love everything about those cameras.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
I know I am swimming upstream and that the end is probably near, but I have so many emotional attachments to film that it will be a hard habit to break. I'm shooting a Leica M7 that I bought new a few years ago and just love the feel of it and, especially, the Leica glass which is special. The Leica is a manual focus range finder, to further cement my hide bound ways!!

I am thoroughly enjoying the comments, keep 'em coming!

John S.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I use to process my own film and B&W and color prints. Digital is far better than film in many ways. Film does have a slight advantage in dynamic range but that edge is getting smaller and smaller as digital cameras have gotten better and better. I did like the Kodachrome slide film though.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I have been working through having my thousands of slides and prints scanned as time and money permit. I loved Kodachrome etc., but I love my Canon 60D and my Sony DSC HX9V and my iphone 4S (yep it takes fine pics and it is in my pocket all waking hours....not too many could do that with a film camera). No more "is this shot worth it" Yes I know that you can go crazy the other way, not taking time to compose and adjust settings etc., but that is up to the individual to exhibit the self discipline to do so. They all take great photos, I can share them immediately with friends and family over the web. To me that's what it's all about. My Carousel is sitting in the garage waiting for a new home. Digital gives me the ability to us my Apple TV box screen saver mode to display images on our 50" Plasma while listening to music and perhaps having friends over. In the slide and film days, few folks wanted to plow through piles of those while over for a visit. But with the Apple TV the various shots displayed become a conversation piece. Yep film was/is beautiful, but so can be digital. I love many of the great shots I have gotten with my digital cameras over the years and the ability to easily share clinches the deal for me. BTW I sold off my 1,000 plus CD's a couple of years ago to finance the 60D, don't miss them a bit, the portability of digital music agains wins out FOR ME over CDs or even vinyl (I have hundreds of albums that I will be moving along soon). In the end, there is no right answer for everyone, so to each their own.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
I'm shooting a Leica M7 that I bought new a few years ago and just love the feel of it and, especially, the Leica glass which is special. The Leica is a manual focus range finder, to further cement my hide bound ways!!
That's one beautiful camera. My last film shooter is a Yashica Electra, also a rangefinder - of course nowhere near the quality of the Leica, but it does come with a lovely f/1.7 lens.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Andy,

My first camera was an Argus C3 (rangefinder) that my grandfather gave to me and its lens was sharp as a tack. My next camera was a Nikon SLR. I thought the Nikon glass would blow the Argus away but the Argus lens was sharper than the Nikon, which wasn't the "kit" lens but a step up in quality. I was surprised that the Nikon lens wasn't better but then I got Leica and their lens quality is just wonderful. I also have my grandfather's twin lens Rollie which I use from time to time as well.

John S.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldVwHunters View Post
I have a Nikon N-55 you can buy that I bought right before I gave in to the digital photo world. I held out until I started selling things on the internet and found that people want pictures and they want them right now. In my opinion you just can't get a true to life shot of a sunset or sunrise if you don't have a camera with a good roll of film in it. Stand your ground, and pack a few rolls of film while doing it.
While some of my best are on the aforementioned Agfa and Kodak films, I am pretty pleased with this sunset over the Arkansas River:

Sony Alpha 100. No particular PhotoShop work. That's how it looked. Just before the mosquitoes carried me off.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

I have my Dad's old Nikon but.......

About ten or so years ago the professionals were spending $5000 for 7 megapixels that most people couldn't download or send. Now i hear ads for a 43 megapixel cameras. Another upside of digital is no chemicals.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I kept my old Nikkormat FTn (with a 55mm, 24mm wide angle, and my fav, the 105mm for portraits) for two reasons: nobody wants to pay much for it, and film processing quality has fallen off the table. I don`t see it any more.

You guys better invest in a decent scanner with good flexibility regarding negs and slides, as well as a good software to manipulate photos, and learn how to use those two items well...