Old 08-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I have been working through having my thousands of slides and prints scanned as time and money permit. I loved Kodachrome etc., but I love my Canon 60D and my Sony DSC HX9V and my iphone 4S (yep it takes fine pics and it is in my pocket all waking hours....not too many could do that with a film camera). No more "is this shot worth it" Yes I know that you can go crazy the other way, not taking time to compose and adjust settings etc., but that is up to the individual to exhibit the self discipline to do so. They all take great photos, I can share them immediately with friends and family over the web. To me that's what it's all about. My Carousel is sitting in the garage waiting for a new home. Digital gives me the ability to us my Apple TV box screen saver mode to display images on our 50" Plasma while listening to music and perhaps having friends over. In the slide and film days, few folks wanted to plow through piles of those while over for a visit. But with the Apple TV the various shots displayed become a conversation piece. Yep film was/is beautiful, but so can be digital. I love many of the great shots I have gotten with my digital cameras over the years and the ability to easily share clinches the deal for me. BTW I sold off my 1,000 plus CD's a couple of years ago to finance the 60D, don't miss them a bit, the portability of digital music agains wins out FOR ME over CDs or even vinyl (I have hundreds of albums that I will be moving along soon). In the end, there is no right answer for everyone, so to each their own.

AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
I'm shooting a Leica M7 that I bought new a few years ago and just love the feel of it and, especially, the Leica glass which is special. The Leica is a manual focus range finder, to further cement my hide bound ways!!
That's one beautiful camera. My last film shooter is a Yashica Electra, also a rangefinder - of course nowhere near the quality of the Leica, but it does come with a lovely f/1.7 lens.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Andy,

My first camera was an Argus C3 (rangefinder) that my grandfather gave to me and its lens was sharp as a tack. My next camera was a Nikon SLR. I thought the Nikon glass would blow the Argus away but the Argus lens was sharper than the Nikon, which wasn't the "kit" lens but a step up in quality. I was surprised that the Nikon lens wasn't better but then I got Leica and their lens quality is just wonderful. I also have my grandfather's twin lens Rollie which I use from time to time as well.

John S.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldVwHunters View Post
I have a Nikon N-55 you can buy that I bought right before I gave in to the digital photo world. I held out until I started selling things on the internet and found that people want pictures and they want them right now. In my opinion you just can't get a true to life shot of a sunset or sunrise if you don't have a camera with a good roll of film in it. Stand your ground, and pack a few rolls of film while doing it.
While some of my best are on the aforementioned Agfa and Kodak films, I am pretty pleased with this sunset over the Arkansas River:

Sony Alpha 100. No particular PhotoShop work. That's how it looked. Just before the mosquitoes carried me off.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

I have my Dad's old Nikon but.......

About ten or so years ago the professionals were spending $5000 for 7 megapixels that most people couldn't download or send. Now i hear ads for a 43 megapixel cameras. Another upside of digital is no chemicals.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I kept my old Nikkormat FTn (with a 55mm, 24mm wide angle, and my fav, the 105mm for portraits) for two reasons: nobody wants to pay much for it, and film processing quality has fallen off the table. I don`t see it any more.

You guys better invest in a decent scanner with good flexibility regarding negs and slides, as well as a good software to manipulate photos, and learn how to use those two items well...
Old 08-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Aledo , Texas
Yes I was a Kodachrome freak. I even got to use it in the 120 size for awhile. The majority of my images with Getty were shot on Kodachrome.

But alas digital is really where photography is today. It doesn't really matter what camera you shoot with or film or digital, good photography is good photography.

I still shoot 4x5 film for fun.

Hi MurreyWalker! I shot with your son awhile back.

Brian McWeeney
Old 08-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
I used to shoot Kodachrome exclusively in my Mamiya 1000 DTL. Great film. Great camera. As convenient as digital is, I don't think it can beat film when you're shooting for artistic satisfaction.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #23
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Used to use Kodachrome with the K1000. Those were great times. Alas, on my very last trip with that outfit, I had calculated that it was costing me approximately 50 cents every time I hit the shutter button and wound up shooting only three or four shots for the whole trip. Time to go digital.

Lynn
Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
brewster , New York
shoot film

I have the old Dometic refrigerator I took out of my 75 Airstream filled with film and photo paper in my garage.I was going to put a darkroom in my trailer but thought again. I do have one in my garage. The same reason I use film is the same reason I had a 75 airstream restored, it presents something which can't be duplicated.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
My dad worked at Polaroid so we were purely an SX-70 household (though he had a Hassleblad in his closet with some Kodak film he snuck around with from time to time :-) ).

Years after "instant" cameras became unpopular, I learned that an Irish company was building a factory to manufacture Polaroid film packs for the SX-70 so while you may think Kodachrome is going the way of the dinosaur, you might be surprised at the small, tenacious crowd who hangs on....and it's impossible to read this thread without thinking....

Give us those nice bright colors
Give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day
Oh yeah!

I got a Nikon camera
Love to take your photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Not an Irish company - the last remaining Dutch Polaroid factory has been purchased by a handful of enthusiasts. They've been developing their own instant film and have been making great progress towards a modern, instant, analogue camera.

Right now, they sell their film at The Impossible Project

I purchase all the film for my SX-70 from these guys and have yet to be disappointed.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I purchase all the film for my SX-70 from these guys and have yet to be disappointed.
Interesting company. An 8" X 10" Poloroid!? Wow!

Curious why you use instant film..?
Old 08-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #28

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Not an Irish company - the last remaining Dutch Polaroid factory has been purchased by a handful of enthusiasts. They've been developing their own instant film and have been making great progress towards a modern, instant, analogue camera.

Right now, they sell their film at The Impossible Project

What a strange small world this is.

On the desk before me is a treasured possession of my best friend since junior high, who died last year... a folding SX-70 auto-focus with the leather accents on the outer case. As executor I let most things go to his family except a few things that either were very important to Kelly, or really felt to me to be connected to him, or (in the instance of the SX-70) both.

Somewhere back in my mind I'd heard of The Impossible Project, but had forgotten about it. I don't think I ever knew they actually got it up and running and had film packs available for purchase again, so I thought the camera was always going to be a sentimental paperweight.

A few of our close friends are gathering at his birthday in October. Now I'll get to take some pictures of us with it, and perhaps play with some transfers like Kelly loved to do. I know the SX-70 worked fine the last time Kelly had a film pack, but I don't remember how long ago that was. A color and a monochrome film pack are on their way.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote