Old 02-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream
Congratulations Tim!
Now was a time when Polaroid used to produce an instant 35 mm. Yes, it was a cassette just like regular film. Had a neat little contraption you placed the film cassette into, close the lid, turn the crank, and out popped a roll of developed film.
Yeah, got a "brand new" never out of the plastic one in the box on the shelf behind me. Got it at the state outlet for surpluss equipment along with an Omega enlarger.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #16
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
The Bob Cummings Show

Wait, wait, let me get my "Topcon model D"
On second thought I might need help, it's kinda heavy and the mirror slap might knock me off balance

Michael

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #17
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
Kodak something or another. Developed with Diafine and that is about all I can say except to say thet I learned that Diafine pushes about a stop or so so I will have to remember that little fact for the next roll.
Good for you! I have to admit my most favorite was Kodak Tri-X pushed to 1200 using Diafine. I loved the harsh contrast and grain. The begining of my photo existance thrived on this process. Often I would shoot two cameras at the same time capturing the image I was going after both loaded with Tri-X and then I would develope each roll differently to acheive seperate results without losing the work I had done in shooting. Still shooting Nikons but boy you couldn't beat those F3's! Still shoot with multiple bodies these days but photoshop ES3 has changed my darkroom from red and green (infered) lights to white.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream
PS, have fun Tim and be sure to watch those temps and don't skimp on the film washing
I was watching the temps and even had a thermometer to keep my rinse temps good. But I understand that Diafine is pretty forgiving to temp variations which is good because I am not really set up for fancy stuff.

Yes, Photoshop as a darkroom is quite easy. Digital is fine but there IS something about analog images that digital just can not touch.

I am impressed at the number of people responding to this thread!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #19
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
While I was buidling my darkroom I seemed to be the Southern California repository for unwanted darkroom stuff. I have everything I need and would hate to see the extra go to a landfill. If I have it you can have it.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
I was watching the temps and even had a thermometer to keep my rinse temps good. ..
In low humidity, tray temps will fall 5 degrees in 30 minutes (if they are not in a bath), even when the air temp is at or above the tray temp. I have that problem big time here in the semi-arid and high (7300') Colorado stepe.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
I have to admit my most favorite was Kodak Tri-X pushed to 1200.... I loved the harsh contrast and grain. Often I would shoot two cameras at the same time capturing the image I was going after both loaded with Tri-X.....
We would use the same technique at the newspaper. I would bulk load 24 exposure rolls of Tri-X. Didn't care too much about the grain with the newsprint and didn't want to carry around a strobe light if we didn't have to.
Kept a short zoom on one body, 50mm on the other and a 35mm in your pocket.
When I would go out chasing trains (yea, I'm one of those) it would be Plus-X in one and one of the 'chromes in the other.

Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #22
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
...you can actually get a whole film processing lab into the wet bath of a Caravel,..... Washing is the problem--there's never enough water when you're out in the boonies.

Zep
I'm still trying to sort out how I am going to handle my 4x5 negs on the road this summer. I REALLY miss having a darkroom available. My current employer does not have one- Oh the humanity . Eventually I will have one of my own, but that will have to follow having a home with wheels I suppose.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #23
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
In low humidity, tray temps will fall 5 degrees in 30 minutes (if they are not in a bath), even when the air temp is at or above the tray temp. I have that problem big time here in the semi-arid and high (7300') Colorado stepe.

Zep
I used my cute little day tank so I wasn't worried about evaporation. But you are completely correct and it is something I forgot about - evaporation will change temperatures. Wow, how could I not remember that.

Tom - I would take it all except I have no idea what I woulod ever need. But you are right - that should not get disposed of. If that offer still stands in a few months when I know more about what I am doing I will take you up on that.

Say - can you develope infrared with Diafine???? Is the process the same?
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Oooooh, I gotta peek into my darkroom. There must be new growth in all those bottles and paper files. I haven't used the DR in 15 years. I built 4 of them in the past 45 years, one in each house we've owned. Realtors used them as a selling points. Hmmm, you know I have some very vintage dark room equipment, some 60 years old and some older and some old cameras too......do I dare peek at them?

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Now he's talking dangerous stuff. I can see Baulknob out there with a large format takin pics of the Lampliters at sundown....
Check for pinholes in those large formats or you can get some strange effects.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Keller , Texas
Great thread! My trusty F3 is still my go-to camera, along with my Hasselblad 500 if I want to get fancy. In fact, the first thing I did after getting our trailer was to break out the Hassy, load up some Tri-X, and snap a few shots.

I use a digital SLR at work, but personally, I don't even own a digital camera of any kind. My wife does, so she's in charge of digital images on our travels while I stick to film. Our local lab still uses an old fashioned "dip and dunk" tank to process negatives, with outstanding results. And, for a few extra bucks, they scan the negs to CD ... So far, I have no reason to convert.

(And the discussion about loading up 24 shots of film with a bulk loader -- I can still hear the clicks counting off frames -- and then rushing out to cover a story brings back lots of great memories. Ahh, youth.)
Old 02-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Then listening for the click or not click whether the tape held at the end of the roll to the spool? 25, 26, 27 frames, oh dammit
Old 02-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Only one place in the whole of the U.S. developing Kodachrome. Glad to see that there are those still shooting film.Those big bulky plastic DSLR aren't for me, I'll be shooting film until until they don't make it anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1028.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	54698