Old 06-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Picked up our AS fall 2013 - first trip with kids after that and enjoying first meal - diggiorno pizza
Attachment 213439
Attachment 213440
Attachment 213441

Pharmgeek- so very glad you put in pics- it has been fun following the whole process of research, buying, first camping trip with you and your wonderful family- just check out those smiles!

Old 06-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Nilesrob, that is one funny story along with a beautiful airstream!

Old 06-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Our first "real" trip was to the Finger Lakes Region. After a 6 hour drive and set up in camp, we raised our antenna to catch the local news and there was a severe thunder storm warning in the area. OUR FIRST TRIP OUT!!

Called the front desk, got the procedures if we needed them and rode the storm out.

Next day, great hiking, warm breeze during the day, Daisy's first ice cream and a chilly night by the fire with our Tin Goat mascot.

Following morning, snow on the trailer, a cold walk at a vineyard with Daisy and a surprise gift left for the Tim Goat by some anonymous (and well-cheered campers). :-)

One heck of a first outing!

Attachment 213443

Attachment 213444

Attachment 213445

Attachment 213446

Attachment 213448

Attachment 213447

Yikes! A trip to remember for sure. I remember one of our first trips to the Mts of NC- got to our land, all set up, sat down for a rest, and started to hear the dreaded sound of HAIL! No damage, just very frightening......love the Tin Goat AND thoughtful neighbors!
Old 06-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
In 2005 we traded in this for that; a new, right-out-of-the-wrapper 2005 34 Classic with slide out. Our first camping trip was just up the road to Camp Cherry Log, owned by Bates RV, and our next trip was up to Jax Center for what was called "Homecoming".

We named our new AS Vickie, which was a standing family joke that in fact the new AS was my girlfriend, and we just named her Vickie.
That is one nice looking Airstream there Brad!
The story on the vanity plate is a good one also.

Well done
Doug
Old 06-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
You never forget your first trip, and the events leading up to it.

I had been quite sick and had been housebound for almost a year.

I know this sound strange, but when I started to feel a bit better, I had to get out and buy a new bed - and found one - surrounded by an Airstream trailer!

Here it is, still on the dealer's lot.....

Next thing I know, I'm on the road to recovery, literally and metaphorically!

The first trip was to the Cascade Mountains. The fog rolls in and out of the high country quickly.....

Then one morning, the fog had lifted. I also thought there was something symbolic about that.....

Am posting this photo because it is also a good memory. Sure had a lot of fun gussying up the FaN after purchase.....

Someday, when I'm laying on another bed - that bed old age and affirmity - I will remember all of this with great fondness, and pat myself on the back while thinking, you did that! Good on you, girl....... good on you.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
FAN- that is a wonderful story- thank you for sharing- and FWIW, there seems to me that our Airstream has recuperative powers too! One day, I finally realized that the reason I was so eager to make those once a month camping trips in the Airstream is that it was the ONLY time I could totally relax! Now that we have both recently retired, we are not limited to one weekend a month, and can't wait to hit the road. Love the pics of the fog rolling in!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
First Night

Found our AS at Billy Simms Trailer Town in Lubbock TX. We completed the deal over the phone and drove from Northern Indiana to Texas three weeks later to pick it up. We left the dealership and drove south into New Mexico and spent our first night at Holloman Air Force Base. We packed everything we thought we might need into the bed of the pickup and after we got level and hooked up, we unpacked the boxes and stowed everything before stepping back and going "WOW, we did it"! Haven't had a single regret.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First Night AS-a.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	213589  
Old 06-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Found our AS at Billy Simms Trailer Town in Lubbock TX. We completed the deal over the phone and drove from Northern Indiana to Texas three weeks later to pick it up. We left the dealership and drove south into New Mexico and spent our first night at Holloman Air Force Base. We packed everything we thought we might need into the bed of the pickup and after we got level and hooked up, we unpacked the boxes and stowed everything before stepping back and going "WOW, we did it"! Haven't had a single regret.

Wow- Texas to New Mexico to Indiana- what a shake-down cruise! That WOW feeling is incredible, isn't it?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #23
3202 Ellie

1975 Argosy 24
milan , Michigan
We bought our AS a couple months ago I have been so excited it is older ( 73 ) but great condition just needs tender love and care and polishing plus painting the bottom no big hurry want to enjoy it this summer. Our first trip next week to Richmond Ky family reunion will park in cousin's yard a couple days.
I still can,t believe I own an as it is great
Old 06-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by boliversr View Post
We bought our AS a couple months ago I have been so excited it is older ( 73 ) but great condition just needs tender love and care and polishing plus painting the bottom no big hurry want to enjoy it this summer. Our first trip next week to Richmond Ky family reunion will park in cousin's yard a couple days.

I still can,t believe I own an as it is great

Great- be sure to take a pic on the trip- family reunion should present plenty of opportunity! It's Ok if she isn't spit-shined, the emotions will come through anyway!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Wow what a great bunch of stories and even better photo's!

Our story is sort of simple compared to most but here goes…. We retired a couple years ago and with retirement we decided that we better tour around a bit to see if we could not find a place that we could call home for the winter months. “You know - lets find a warm location we like and we will buy a house of something and get the hell out of winter”….

Anyway, after a bit of traveling and touring around (about 120,000 km over two years), we did find places we really liked. We also found one thing that we did not expect or were even looking for. We found that it was not the location (or destination) that attacked us, but the journey getting there… In the end, we found that we were happiest just doing a bit of a "Walk-About" and wandering around North America and were really not very interested in staying in one spot to terribly long and were more interested in just exploring.

Hence the shopping began for an RV.....

We spend months looking at different types of RV's. For a while we tried our best to talk ourselves into the 40+ Ft. motorhome. But then the reality of trying to tour in one of those things seemed to push us away from that thought. I guess they would be fine if you wanted to drive to a location, park for a month or two and I’m sure you would be as right as rain with that type of rig. Next we looked a the 5th wheel arrangements and again were pushed away by actual (drive ability) of this type of rig. The issue for us was we were not willing to sacrifice our "enjoyment" of traveling down the road for having more room or livability. (not that you actually have those things with larger rig's anyway)

So flash forward to this past spring and we located a 2013, 28' Airstream at a dealer in Seattle… We had looked at the Airstream products in both TX and AZ the month before so we had a vague idea what we wanted. (Or at least we hope we have!) Almost on a wing and a prayer, we jumped in the truck and drove about 2400 km to Seattle to look at the Flying Cloud that we had found on the net. It was in very good condition and had been very gently used by it’s previous owners. So without much fan-fair we emptied our bank accounts (LOL) and became the owners of a (new to us) 2013, 28’ Rear bedroom Flying Cloud:

We hooked up and before we knew it we were on the road heading home:

Our trip home was a bit of a "Learn As you Go" affairs as we had never pulled anything before so hooking on to a large trailer and hauling it across the Rocky Mountains for 2400 km in early April with ice, snow and below freezing temps just to add a bit of interest to the trip... Here is a shot in Montana after coming down a 6% grade for about 13 miles.... I think it was time to pull over and empty my shorts.....lol

Anyway - before this turns into a book. We made it home and here is a shot of our first night camping with our new baby! I call it "Out of The Clouds" as I feel we have come full circle in our lives and can now see us coming out the clouds and into a period of clarity as our new adventure begins....

Hope everyone enjoys the image and hope to meet our fellow travellers as we move down the road of life:

Old 06-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies View Post
Wow- Texas to New Mexico to Indiana- what a shake-down cruise! That WOW feeling is incredible, isn't it?
Also got to Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Tennessee, Kansas, Illinois, and Missouri, before getting back to Indiana. Heck of a shake down cruise. Didn't have one problem the entire three weeks. Billy Simms treated us like gold. Great dealer!
Old 06-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies View Post
FAN- that is a wonderful story- thank you for sharing- and FWIW, there seems to me that our Airstream has recuperative powers too! One day, I finally realized that the reason I was so eager to make those once a month camping trips in the Airstream is that it was the ONLY time I could totally relax! Now that we have both recently retired, we are not limited to one weekend a month, and can't wait to hit the road. Love the pics of the fog rolling in!
FGs, congratulations on your retirement. "Recuperative powers" - that's a wonderful expression.

You chose a good subject for this month's contest. Reminds me of a quote - the road ahead looked so familiar, going back.

Am also laughing at the first Cascades photo. Note how truck is still hitched to trailer. I was scared I wouldn't be able to hook-up again! Now, unhitching/rehitching is a relative breeze, even if I have to do it solo.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Arctic Fox- that is a great story, and I love the "Out of the Clouds"photo and metaphor.

Tsunami, if you have one of those maps of the states, you could have filled up half of the states on your FIRST trip- way to go!