Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Photography
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2018, 10:40 PM   #41
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
We do a ton of crafts while traveling: spoon carving, basketmaking, photography, cooking, paracord crafts, and now even some leatherwork. But at home, I spent time working on the trailer itself and apply my skills as a (hobbyist) furniture maker when I can.

On this last trip, I grew frustrated at stuff and produce we left on the counter in a basket: onions, limes, tomatoes, etc. This stuff doesn't go in the fridge, it doesn't feel right to put it in a cabinet, but I don't want it cluttering up the countertop.

So... I made this shelf. It has a slotted bottom for airflow and the "box" lifts out of the "frame" if needed. The box is made from maple and the frame from white oak... just scraps I had left from other projects.

As you can see in the photos, the whole thing has a pass through so you can still lower the blinds if you want.

(I also made the sink cover, also from scraps of maple, hickory, purple heart, and yellow heart...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	318497   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	318498  

thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:50 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
And answer they did. Very nice craftsmanship.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Jen made this wall hanging quilt for new friends made on the road after a generous yard surfing stay. Sized to fit in and modelled after their FC 27FB. Arizona sunset, naturally.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6033.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	318547Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6140.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	620.2 KB
ID:	318548
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:41 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
So it's really an honor to be chosen for this based on an entry, and unbelievably hard to judge! So first - thanks again HiHoAgRV for selecting me last month and thanks to Peter and DingoGirl for your compliments on my non-entry example in the original post this month. Those mugs DW made are the REAL craftwork - we drink coffee out of porcelain mugs SHE MADE BY HAND with our WBCCI number and Tin Goat trailer nickname. She's so talented!!!! Crafty! [emoji3]

As are you all! It was inspirational to see the range and depth in this month’s small slice of craftiness resident in the members of this forum! This will be long winded - I’m saving bronze, silver and gold for the end of this but wanted to acknowledge everyone for their crafty contributions; any one of which could have won...

InterBlog - #3 stunning array of mods to your AI. Labor of love, practical, and very crafty. I couldn't do 1/10th of that!

WaLee - #4 very sweet hand crafted Hawaiian canoe model, I certainly couldn't do that either!

Hittenstiehl - #5 gorgeous custom greeting cards - extra points for the "get lost" with an Airstream! And even more points awarded for reply 8 (helping a competitor rotate their picture) and 16 with a delightfully crafted compliment for another (intended or not, the first four syllables and the spelling of the first word just brought a smile to my face! [emoji3]).

Kallbabs - #6 Rosie must love the Tinker nightlight! So craftastic! Loved your painting too!

EBW - #7 what a crafty way to hide a TV (is that an Ocean Breeze?? Love those!)!

Jkrountree59 - #10 Great photo! Love the smooth curve of the silvery roof against the jagged snow caps and near-indigo sky! Great photo craft!

Mammothmama - #13 absolutely loved the craft of the fly-tie, inside an Airstream, with a happy current and no doubt future Streamer...awesome!!

bbandeddie - #14 Crafting the UFO inside the trailer with that stunning view (and required supervision by the Flamingo). And your post #43 with an example of the work product was great - what lovely work and a great gift to your yard surfing hosts!

belegedhel - #15 first the photo, an Art Deco hunk of modern metal juxtaposed on that gorgeous well-worn craftsman's workbench (at least, that's what it is in my mind - don't spoil it if I'm wrong). Great visual. Add to that the vision it takes to see a peaceful piece of art like that hiding within a violent power tool is crafty in and of itself, to say nothing of the ability to execute on that vision. Very well done!

FaN - #18 OMG! Titanically crafty veg-work! Brought a huge smile to my face! My heart will go on! [emoji3]

Lumatic - #20 I steer clear of electricity at all costs - love that you dive right in and extra points awarded for titling your crafty entry! Well played!

Azflycaster - #21 impressive array of pins displayed in your AS! I’ll bet each one can lead to some great crafty story telling!

Calstreaming - #22 wow! Your work is absolutely stunning! I especially loved "Time To Go" in your online gallery. Really lovely work!

Capastel - #24 how fun to paint your own basecamp! I had to google the medium as I wasn't familiar with the word. I enjoyed your artwork and learned something new too!

kathfred - #29 beautiful cutting board/sink cover - the wood with silver flecks is really striking!

ROBERTSUNRUS - #32 Great idea! Not having experienced those memories, I enjoyed looking at each picture in the collage - can only imagine how fun it is to relive them again personally!! Really well done!!

DingoGirl -#34 that is some very crafty trunk work! Extra points for posting extra pics to describe it in more detail in your thread “Today is the day” - much appreciated and great crafty work!

Belegedhel’s DW #35 - who wouldn’t want that for their birthday card?!?! Very crafty indeed.

GAT #37-40 - great collection of crafty woodwork all Airstream related. I especially enjoyed the cutting board with the AS trailer cutout. Well done!

theil #41 - a great “necessity is the mother of invention” crafting of a shelf and lovely cutting board made from wood scraps - very crafty! If you’re going to be at the Region 1 Rally I’d love to see that live! I can show you our uncrafty off-the-shelf shelf we put in our 27FB [emoji3]

With that, thanks for sharing all these great entries and your craftiness in the forum! The awards this month are:

Bronze is a tie for Jkrountree59 - post #10 and ROBERTSUNRUS #32

Silver is a tie for GAT post #37 and bbandeddie - posts #14 and #43

Gold and this month’s (solo) photo contest winner goes to belegedhel - post #15. Congratulations! You pick (and have to judge...good luck to you!) the August photo contest theme!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:30 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Thank you, thank you, thank you verrr-much! I am honored! I'll come up with a theme for August and start the new thread in the next few hours.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Fantastic choice SSM. This was a great choice for topic and amazed to see everybody's craftiness and craftsmanship.

Bel both of your guy's pieces are incredible. Need to meet the card maker and gather some tips.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Thanks!

Alright friends, let the competition begin!!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f415...ml#post2136970
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I know this isn’t the current photo contest and I’m not going to include photos of her work - but DW (the crafty Potter in the family) just spent 5 days in a pottery seminar about 2 hours from home and was able to camp at a campground near the seminar location. I can’t tell you how fun it was to set her up Thursday at the campground, join her (with Daisy) for part of the weekend (she was in class both days) and then come back to pack up the trailer tonight and bring it home. Knowing she was able to be in our little home away from home doing something she loved and not having to stay in a hotel somewhere was a really joyous treat! She said having me set it up and bring it back so she could attend the seminar made her feel loved and special. Blush....Count me honored. Who knew we were buying *this* when we bought the Tin Goat?? Couldn’t be happier!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:32 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I know this isn’t the current photo contest and I’m not going to include photos of her work - but DW (the crafty Potter in the family) just spent 5 days in a pottery seminar about 2 hours from home and was able to camp at a campground near the seminar location. I can’t tell you how fun it was to set her up Thursday at the campground, join her (with Daisy) for part of the weekend (she was in class both days) and then come back to pack up the trailer tonight and bring it home. Knowing she was able to be in our little home away from home doing something she loved and not having to stay in a hotel somewhere was a really joyous treat! She said having me set it up and bring it back so she could attend the seminar made her feel loved and special. Blush....Count me honored. Who knew we were buying *this* when we bought the Tin Goat?? Couldn’t be happier!
That has all the markings of happiness: being appreciative of one's partner, a dog, creativity....and no regrets about the "Tin Goat."