Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Steelegood: That is a terrific story - congratulations on your win .... was it the morning brews on a hot day that made the difference? ..... would you advise others to try this technique??

Ladybug: a very unique photo contest - quite a gutsy deviation from the norm - although there may not have been a lot of entries - the ones that did take the time to submit were more than a refreshing change from the standard fare - very well done - congratulations to yourself - and to all the entrants.

Everyone: if you haven't taken the time to read these stories yet ..... you should!! - you are in for a real treat.

Thanks - and looking forward to the August theme! - this has been an interesting year! - all tough acts to follow!!

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Congratulations to the winner.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Wow, and Dumbfounded!

Thanks Sharon, for putting out a great July Photo Contest and being an outstanding Judge (so methodical) and lastly for choosing me as the winner. You really pushed the envelope for July and I think you gave everyone a “Huh?” moment. It really was a curveball and I “jumped in” at the last moment. Actually I feel a bit guilty being chosen the winner, because from where I stand, everyone that chose to open up and share a bit of their lives this month....., well, we were all winners. I feel privileged to be among such awesome people, not just July’s participants, but to all who participate in the forums - be it a learning subject, a debate, a game, or in this case a “contest”, who just happen to have at least one thing in common, an Airstream.

August 1st. was our anniversary. I say our 29th, Natalie says our 27th., and we can’t find the marriage certificate to validate, so who knows.... we may not be married at all! (another story, another time), and yesterday we spent the day in Knoxville helping our daughter with her new abode, thus the delay in setting up the August Contest.

I really did enjoy Sharon’s choice, even before I officially entered, and for all those who have won in the past or have thought “what if”, well.... let me tell you, I found it difficult to come up with a theme or subject which hasn’t been done before! However, Sharon set a new example/standard with the “essay” component, and a few others have pushed the boundaries with multiple themes, etc., so I feel compelled to follow in her footsteps (thank you Sharon) and the others, and decided to push the envelope even a little further.

We are in the middle of the impending presidential election , record inclement distressing weather, incredible economic times , multiple wars worldwide , and the Olympics! (ironic isn’t it). Also we find ourselves in “The Dog Days of Summer”. Now, what does this all mean for our August contest you ask? Well, simply put, sometimes it’s difficult to know what is real or not, even the “evening news” can be deceiving depending on how they portray their story, or did that really happen, or “WOW” or “I can’t believe that”. For all you doubters out there, don’t worry August’s contest is simple, no, really..... “this won’t hurt a bit”! August’s theme won’t be difficult, just some thought and imagination and a little fun. If you can read the back of Natalie’s shirt..., it says “Everyone has a Story to Tell”, and that is what I am asking, tell me and the forums a story with pictures (airstream included). So without further ado, August’s Theme will be “Is it Fact or Fiction?

We’ve all sat around a campfire, or under someone’s awning and have listened to someone else tell a story, and sometimes you’ve ask yourself “really, is that true?” Let me expand a little on the deciding factor of my topic of choice. When I write something to send out, most of the time I have my daughter “proofread and do some copyediting” (in my mind; english is her forte, as writing is my worst enemy) and to embarrass myself a little, let me tell you; when I ask her to look over my entry for July’s contest, in spite of her knowing..... how do I say this politely??? how “whacked out” my family is, after reading my entry she turned to me and said “you really did this?”, my response was “call your grandmother” (which may not have been a good idea, because there is a woman who can spin a story!)

Later today, or tomorrow I will post some rules, and give you an example. I would really be overjoyed if everyone put in a submission, but being realistic I know not everyone will, however I ask those who choose not to participate, TO PARTICIPATE, every viewer can be one of the judges, to help me decide (without being rude/ugly) if each submission is really true or not (even giving your reason as the viewer, why or why not if you choose). Being true or not is not the objective, it’s being convincing! Make no mistake, even a well spun false story with pictures can be the winner, it all depends on your audience.

Let the Games Begin!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	-3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	582.6 KB
ID:	164689  

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Change of Direction

AFTER I posted my idea for the August Photo Contest, my most objective and open critic (aka: my wife) said she didn’t like my idea. Although she felt it was indeed creative, it was too involved, and stated the last few photo contests seemed to be getting more and more difficult (multiple themes, excessive writing, etc.) and less participation. Her suggestion was that I should have kept it simple. So after some thought, maybe she is right.... (did I just admit that?) So everyone can breathe a sigh of relief, and not worry about their creative writing abilities. So let me apologize in advance for the change of mind, and start shooting those photos or searching old ones. The Official Theme for the August Photo Contest is:
Color Wonderful

The only two rules for this theme is to capture color and contain all or part of an airstream. Contestants can photograph whatever catches their eye---rainbows, flowers, fabrics, birds---as long as the photo in some way features brilliant colors and an Airstream.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Ah man I can see it now BALLOONS - ha there is always a limiting factor to anyone who enters a contest - for those of us who have never been to a Balloon Fest - I guess we need to add it in to the future bucket list.
For those who are not a green them - we will have to park our trailers beside other peoples gardens Now there is always the campfire - and if you get some of that magic fairy dust you can throw it in and take pics of the wonderful colours in the reflection of the AS...

How about an extension of the idea - ha not telling.... but thanks Steelegood - although you have kept it simple - ha my brain does not work simple - so hope people have an open mind - I have some photo digging to do.....

Congrats again Steelegood - You are right everyone was a winner - even those who took the time to read the entries because now their lives have been graced with some pretty fantastic REAL life AS (or Kick @#$ if you prefer) stories - I hope they encourage, inspire, and well, simply, enlighten to the joys and determination having an airstream in ones life is all about....Travel, some laughs, some great people and some awesome adventures....

AUGUST - Bring it on...

PS Steelegood and everyone else - I absolutely give my "Wally" oath that if I win another "photo" contest I will keep it as the masses of "norm" as much as it would go totally against my grain - I will concede to the mundane unadventurous way of thinking - I PROMISE!!!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963 View Post
PS Steelegood and everyone else - I absolutely give my "Wally" oath that if I win another "photo" contest I will keep it as the masses of "norm" as much as it would go totally against my grain - I will concede to the mundane unadventurous way of thinking - I PROMISE!!!

“Very good, Annelle! Spoken like a true smart-ass!” — Clairee, Steel Magnolias 1989

Hey I resemble that remark of yours. I thought you'd win when I encouraged you to enter, but hey ease up a bit on us mere ordinary types or you may not find yourself so winning! (Don't you dare push me off my chair...)

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Na - Wheelinterested - you had it in ya to contribute - you just got busy procrastinating

Oh Sista wait till you hear what I have decided to do.....The most important thing in my life right now is to get my frame fixed and fixed REAL good cause we are about to stretch the rubber!!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
You know me my gal, too many words...

But what, where are you going?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
The story behind my '64 Overlander and I goes back to 1964 when friends of my family ordered the coach new from a dealer in Detroit, Michigan on Eight Mile Road....
That is such a great story!

My search is still on for the Airstream my Grandparents used to own, a 1970 Airstream Safari Double ( looking for one formerly numbered #24175 ). Just started the search a couple of weeks ago, and joined this forum.

However, if I do find it I will compose the story for submission. Cheers!