Old 07-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
Clearly the most interesting tow vehicle I have seen on the forum - nicely done, although I don't know how you do weight distribution.

No bars needed. Half full tanks and a long long runway My wife always asks is it still back there? I always say (Yes) "It goes where it's toad"

Ace in PA

Old 07-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Well only one day left for all you Airstreamers out their that completely chickened out with your submissions. And here I thought Airstreamers were exciting, innovative, gabbers - who take a ton of photos of their rigs and tell stories every time they hit a Rally...Kinda disappointing really.

Sorry I did not give you a lame easy no brainer photo submission topic - like ahh pick up camera and take a picture of Balloons or campfire or patio lanterns, or reflections, or tourist traps, or vintage signs, or your frame off this and that restorations - or even take a pic of your in-laws standing beside the trailer....

HOWEVER - for those who did submit an entry - YOU are TRULY what Airstreaming is all about. You have pride, you have excitement, you like the challenge and adventure. You live your life in a way that you are proud to tell your story - not just tell it - but take the TIME to SHARE it!!! As far as I am concerned anyone that went above and beyond the EASY stuff in life - deserves first place!

Anyone can buy an airstream and hook it up and reap the benefits of an American Icon - but only a FEW actually believe and live the Iconic DREAM!!!

So LAST CALL folks - is there anyone else out there that has the RIVETS to SHARE their story????

Oh and PS - to judge this contest even with only a few entires - will be far harder than any other Photo Contest ever RUN on this site...

Thanks again to all those who submitted an entry....and for the rest of you that just enjoyed the free stories - shame on you for not joining in on the fun! well of course to those who are still searching for your dream Airstream please disregard this last comment

Yep I never mince words do I...as a fresh out of school photojournalist this was kind of a lunch bag let down that more people did not have fun with something different and new - but don't worry after tomorrow you can all go back to your living in a box cookie cutter never try anything different lives and keep sluffing off those snap shots of.....campfires, reflections and balloons

Old 07-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #31
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
"Never mince words"'

Neither do I. Just maybe there are more folks who are living the dream that are too busy having fun and adventures then to submit photos with a lengthy essay on their life with their Airstream. I for one prefer more photos and less words. Thanks for the contest, I enjoyed the pics.

Bill
Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Essay contest or Photo contest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963 View Post
Yep I never mince words do I...as a fresh out of school photojournalist this was kind of a lunch bag let down that more people did not have fun with something different and new - but don't worry after tomorrow you can all go back to your living in a box cookie cutter never try anything different lives and keep sluffing off those snap shots of.....campfires, reflections and balloons
Thank you.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 ford View Post
"Never mince words"'

Neither do I. Just maybe there are more folks who are living the dream that are too busy having fun and adventures then to submit photos with a lengthy essay on their life with their Airstream. I for one prefer more photos and less words. Thanks for the contest, I enjoyed the pics.

Bill
I was thinking the same as you. People are out enjoying there AS. But that was no reason not to post your story. I am no writer but I was able to throw my story together in 30 minutes. But as a professional photography for over 20 years. I feel the photos tell the story much better then word ever could.

Ace in PA(A Real Airstreamer)
Proud Owner of a all orig. 66 Caravel and not afraid to use it!

TAC PA-1
WBCCI 2169
Old 07-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
One of the neat things about this months theme is that it allows you to do a bit of reminiscing and match those old Airsteam memories to the pictures you have taken through its life - this really isn't a chore - it's much more a campfire story than an essay - and the kind of campfire story you've probably told a million times before ..... in truth - the idea of putting the story to words sounds a lot more onerous than it is - the reality is that once you string a few pictures together the story pretty much writes itself ......

A great theme - and a great opportunity to share.

24 hours to go - it would be great to see a few more pictures and read a few more stories .....

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Ladybug, oh please, please PLEASE pick me!!! I have narrowed next month's topic down to three; they are just so exciting, I cannot decide:

1. The Airstream at Your Favourite Sani-Dump
2. The Airstream with Your Favourite Garden Chair
3. The Airstream with Your Least-Favourite In-law/Out-law

*Hint* Anyone who submits a photo of their least favourite in-law/out-law with the Airstream at the sani-dump after experiencing a massive high-pressure failure of the connection hose (taken from the submitter's favourite garden chair at a safe distance) wins! You could say that one covers all bases.

p.s. You tried. Sorry it didn't elicit the kind of response you wanted. I am disappointed too.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
My Motto

Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Yes a photo is worth a 1000 words, but there is nothing like hearing it from the horses mouth

PS anyone who forks up the 1000 to repair the broken frame on my nearly new Airstream will most definitely win the July contest - entry submission or not
Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Ladybug, oh please, please PLEASE pick me!!! I have narrowed next month's topic down to three; they are just so exciting, I cannot decide:

1. The Airstream at Your Favourite Sani-Dump
I do have great black tank story. Of a newbie I met at the beach in MD. But no photos. I will have to change the name to protect the innocent.: lol:
Old 07-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #38
Aluminum Addict

1970 31' Sovereign
Rockport , Texas
I'm covered in fiberglass, rust, and rat poop from all the renovating, I wish I had a cool story to share. I'm no where near beginning to live my dream yet. I spent every last dime (this is no exaggeration) buying my dream home. I can't wait to get her on the road!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-625223901.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	645.6 KB
ID:	164251
Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasideSteph View Post
I'm covered in fiberglass, rust, and rat poop from all the renovating, I wish I had a cool story to share. I'm no where near beginning to live my dream yet. I spent every last dime (this is no exaggeration) buying my dream home. I can't wait to get her on the road!

Attachment 164251

Ha see there are lots of women out there that like to hang out under their airstreams...

Well you have the makings of a great future story - are you already posting your progress somewhere - would love to follow it.

Well if it gives you any support - I am about to spend every penny I have on getting my baby back on the road too...just mine is a lot newer than yours - but nevertheless we seem to have the same stuff going on - fiberglass, dust, and I will sub in the road salt for mice poop! Cause I ain't got no mice in my trailer - that at least is a silver lining to this messy story - yours will be fantastic when all finished. And can't wait to see the before and after shots
Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Our Airstream Story

As with my University days I'll submit my assignment as close to the deadline as i can!

Our Airstream Story

My wife and I both camped as kids, me and my brother in our family's tent trailer and my wife and her brother in their family's truck camper and later a motorhome that has plenty of it's own stories.

Our first trailer was a green fiberglass 1976 Trillium 13' that my parents restorred but outgrew when they retired. (we still have it and my father and I use it for car shows). My parents generously donated it so we could have some weekends away during our busy lives and we had lots of great but short holiday's in the Glass Egg, until we spent one rainy weekend in less than 90 sqft. That weekend I decided it was time to move in to a larger trailer.

I had a capable Tow Vehicle, a 2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 that my brother had purchased new shortly before he passed away. I'm now the caretaker of the Tundra and I'm sure my brother would have appreciated that I bought his truck something to pull. Truck were made to work!

After our rainy weekend we started visiting RV dealers and looking at options. New airstreams were far beyond our price range, and we had settled on a 21ft Visa, when I saw a vintage 31' Airstream on Kijji about 30min from home for $3200. We had to look at it for that price! It needed alot more work than I wanted to get in to, we didn't want to wait years to camp while I restorred a trailer, and it was longer than I was comfortable towing so we moved on. On the way home I said if it was 6 feet shorter I would have brought it home.
We had the bug!
Shortly thereafter, on a Sunday Afternoon, I found a 1977 Safari, 23' north of Toronto, about 2 hours from home. I emailed right away and said we wanted to see it after work Monday and we drove up in the Tundra with every tool and peice of towing equipment I could need hidden under the tonneau cover of the truck incase I bought it on the spot.

It was our dream trailer! original enough that I knew it wasn't messed up by a previous owner, but very well maintained. I signaled to my wife i wanted it and she agreed. The owner, Ken, was a great friendly guy, just like all airstreamers, and obviously loved the trailer and spent lots of time showing us every inch of the little beauty. Finally I made him what I thought was a very reasonable offer, but was supprised when he didn't accept and proceded to show us more of the trailer. Finally I asked if he really wanted to sell. He replied that he was worried his grandkids might want to go camping one more time before the end of the summer. This was mid August, and my wife and I agreed that if he wanted to camp one more time with this grandkids that wouldn't change our minds. I told him to call me when he was ready to sell and my offer would still stand.

That was Monday Night, and I got a call Thursday evening, no the grandkids didn't have time for a camping trip before shool resumed, but Ken and his wife were comming to Niagara Falls on the weekend and would it be ok if he delivered it to my house! I'm sure you can guess my answer.

We took delivery Saturday morning, and I almost missed a wedding that day I was so excited about our purchase. We did some minor renovations, counter top, replaced the carpet with vinyl plank flooring and fixed a leaking waste valve. Later we replaced the plumbing with Pex and a new water pump. some day I intend to polish her. We're trying to start a family so I've been closely following any threads on bunk beds

That was last August and we've spent 19 nights in her and traveled over 5,000km in less than a year.

She's been to Nashville, New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Jamboree in the Hills in Ohio, the Finger Lakes in NY and Friday we'll be heading to Emily Provincial Park in Ontario!

Pictures are as follows:
1) At Ken's house the night we went to buy her
2) Delivery day in our Driveway
3) On the way to Nashville last November
4) at Jamboree in the Hills 2012 - two weeks ago
5) At New Hampshire Motor Speedway - three weeks ago
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	620551g_20.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	164287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110820-00039.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	164288  

Name:	IMG-20111104-00069.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	164289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goshen-20120720-00213.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	164290  

Name:	Loudon-20120713-00201.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	164293  
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #41
Aluminum Addict

1970 31' Sovereign
Rockport , Texas
Thanks so much! I can't wait to say mine is mice free as well! My tumblr=SeasideSteph (lots of boring renovation pictures for my friends who say they're jealous, just so they know how much work it is)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Ok, Iím on the road so Iím not sure what pictures I have available to me, but will give this a try.

We had an old pop up from the 80ís but wanted a hard shell trailer for traveling long distances, plus I was tiered of popping it up. We had a close friend with a 2004 Safari 28 footer and like the AS.

We were not sure what we really wanted in a hard shell trailer, but I figured if I got an older AS and fixed it up we could at least sell it for what we paid for it if we didnít want it.

We started the search. Ebay, Craigís list, and local paper. We looked at a couple 30 footers and 22 footer. My neighbor had a 70ís safari I wanted but his daughter wanted it. Needless to say she never got it and he sold it last fallÖ

We finally found one on Craigís list about an hour from home for just over $5000. After 3 weeks of looking.

Got some cash out from the bank and took the family to look at it. Now, I wasnít on the forums till after I bought it and if I had known what I do know I wouldnít have bought it. Or paid $5000 for it. Even with the sagging rear end, plexi glass window, raised floor in the kitchen because of the 1/8 plywood over the rotten floor, WHAT DID I KNOW!!!!

We gave the old swindling lady the cash and hooked up and took it home. I didnít have trailer brakes or a WD hooked up, but the Sequoia did fine on the 70 mile trip home. WHAT DID I KNOW!!!!!!!

The inside was in good shape but dated for us.

So we took our first trip about an hour from home.. The black tank leaked, so did the water tank. And we got to figure out how things worked on our own. But it was fun and we were falling in loveÖ

The first patch was the floor under the front water tank, which was only being held up by the spare tire under it. The floor was gone

I got this and some other things done for Our trip to the Tetons. We loved it and were hook.

Then after a year I decided to gut it and redo the inside. I didnít get it finished before a planed trip to ZION NP so our friends lent us their AS. Gotta love good friends.. side note: Almost had to borrow it again for this trip

SEE this thread for the remodel:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f174...dor-44644.html

We went all over the west, but when we had twin girls it changed things. The trailer was now to small, with only a small dinette for them to sleep on.

We debated for 6 months on whether to keep it or by an SOB with bunks. We decided to keep her and do a shell of restore and change up the inside again to accommodate 4 kids.

That can be seen here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f174...8-a-90934.html

That happened about 2 months ago. and tons of work and 12 hour days got me on the road, even working the morning we left.

We love the new lay out and are on a 3 week trip with the trailer that isnít completely done, but is unsalable.

So we have had her just over 4 years now, still lots of work and still want to polish her a little more, and still in love Still a work in progress...

Wish I had more pics with me to share..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4296.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	164294   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1722.jpg
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	164295  

Name:	DSCN4297.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	164296   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4298.JPG
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	164297  

Name:	IMG_1737.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	164298  

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote