Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Ice on Lake Superior - May 28

The pictures were taken May the 28th - from our campsite at Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park in Michigan - what a bizarre treat! Today (29th) we left the Porkies and drove to Munising - and ice seems to be the norm along the entire southern shore wherever the Lake can be seen.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8668_edited-1.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	213147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8734_edited-1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	213148  

Name:	IMG_8675_edited-1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	213149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8724_edited-1.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	213150  

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
This made the British newspapers today - a curious sight indeed.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Great pic's, wish I could have see that. We were at Munising last Sep, took the Pictured Rocks boat tour, no ice then.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
On March 20th, we drove the ice road across Lake Superior to Madeline Island, and the next day watched the Coast Guard icebreaker lead the first ship of the season out of Duluth harbor. Love the ice and cold weather - thanks for the pics!
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Thank you for sharing! We were studying the Great Lakes and the kids are amazed with these pics!
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I just saw a news story about the beaches opening in Duluth for the Memorial Day Holiday. Apparently it was around 80 yet there was all kinds of ice floating around. I heard that for the areas bordering the Great Lakes, it will be a cooler than normal summer due to the temperature of the water.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for posting this RangerJay. We should be up that way next week-our first time in Michigan. Friends from St. Catherine's, Ont suggested we go Saulte St. Marie over the Top of Lake Superior to Thunder Bay and from there we are heading to Winnipeg.

Any advice for Hwy 17 between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg? Thanks, Pat
Old 05-30-2014, 06:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirEgger View Post
Great pic's, wish I could have see that. We were at Munising last Sep, took the Pictured Rocks boat tour, no ice then.
Here at Munising we're at the Municipal Park west of town (very nice campground right on the Lake). The beach and area in front of the Park is ice-free - but a line of ice can be seen about 1/2 mile out.

Our stop here was to take the Pictured Rocks tour on Saturday night - but the local news said that the ice has shut the tour boats down - we'll head into town today and find out what the chances are. If we can't go then that will be the second time we will have been shut out of the Pictured Rocks - last time was a few years ago when it was the day we had reserved was too windy for the boats .....

Thanks,

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 05-30-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Conway View Post
Thanks for posting this RangerJay. We should be up that way next week-our first time in Michigan. Friends from St. Catherine's, Ont suggested we go Saulte St. Marie over the Top of Lake Superior to Thunder Bay and from there we are heading to Winnipeg.

Any advice for Hwy 17 between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg? Thanks, Pat
Pat,

Here is a link to a previous thread with a similar question:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ra-119559.html

From Thunder Bay to Winnipeg you have a couple of choices - both are just two lane - the Hwy 17 route is pretty much a straight shot - which makes it the choice for most traffic including the vast majority of large trucks. There are camping opportunities in a number of places - Ignace (Sandbar Lake), Dryden (Aaron), Vermillion Bay (Blue Lake), Kenora (Rushing River). Blue Lake and Rushing River can get busy.

Hwy 11 then 71 is longer but a much more relaxed drive. Dawson Trail Campground of Quetico Park is a nice place to spend a night or a couple of days and there is lots of camping along Hwy 71. Note that the only gas between Thunder Bay and Fort Frances is the Dawson Trail area (Quetico North) or Atikokan.

Should also tell you .... it may have been a very late spring but the black flies seem to be working hard at making up for lost time ..... not so bad here at Munising but lots at Porcupine Mountains ..... and the front of my trailer is a mess ...... guessing the Superior North Shore is probably the same or will be shortly ....

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 05-31-2014, 03:51 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Beautiful pictures.
Something else to do if you get shut out of the boat tour….or even if you don't. Laughing Whitefish Falls, located 20-30 minutes drive from Pictured Rocks, is quite spectacular. You'll have to hike back to the falls, but so worth it.
Sorry, I can't give driving directions. But, it's on most maps of the area & well marked once you're close.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Pictured Rocks - May 31st

Tour boats were finally able to get out of the Munising Harbour yesterday to start their trips along the Pictured Rocks shoreline - courtesy of a strong south wind that pushed the ice pack out into the lake.

Here are a couple pictures from last evenings trip along the Pictured Rocks - incredibly spectacular in the setting sun - and, prior to that, a hardy soul taking advantage of the day - and - of course - a little cold water never phases Attica - she is always up for a game of fetch - anytime - anywhere.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9179_edited-1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	213289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9077_edited-1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	213290  

Name:	IMG_8849_edited-1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	213291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8947_edited-1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	213292  

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 06-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
Nice pics!thanks for sharing!
Keith Gantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
We'll be in Chicago for a wedding next Memorial Day then have to return by mid-July. I was thinking of towing the Airstream around Lake Superior for those 6 weeks. How are the black flies and skeeters that time of year? We're from the Southeast and have no idea what to expect in these parts.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Barefootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootdog View Post
We'll be in Chicago for a wedding next Memorial Day then have to return by mid-July. I was thinking of towing the Airstream around Lake Superior for those 6 weeks. How are the black flies and skeeters that time of year? We're from the Southeast and have no idea what to expect in these parts.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
On the north side of the Lake in Northern Ontario the latter half of May and into June are the worst times for black flies. Having said you can usually work around them - not every year is the same nor is every place the same. A hot, dry spring will see a much shorter black fly season. A cloudy day is worse than a sunny day. Camping on the Lake Superior shoreline in an open campsite will keep you away from the worst of them. Ontario Provincial Parks where you can find this kind of campsite include Pancake Bay PP, Agawa Bay Campground of Lake Superior PP, Neys PP and also Rossport Campground of Rainbow Falls PP. You can find more information on these parks at www.ontarioparks.com .

On the south side of Lake Superior Porcupine Mountain State Park has open sites on the water - so does the Munising Municipal Campground. I'm sure there are others.

Enjoy your trip.

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 09-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
On the north side of the Lake in Northern Ontario the latter half of May and into June are the worst times for black flies. Enjoy your trip.
Jay
That's for sure Jay. That is the reason we travel the north shore of Superior area in September. No ice, no black flies, but the weather can get nasty.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
That's for sure Jay. That is the reason we travel the north shore of Superior area in September. No ice, no black flies, but the weather can get nasty.
You're right - its pretty tough to beat a fall road trip - the colours are on right now and its driving us nuts that the Bambi is parked in the driveway - we've got a couple projects on the go so it looking like its going to have to stay there ...... maybe Thanksgiving .....

..... that is not to say we don't enjoy our spring outings ..... having lived in Northern Ontario for the lions share of my life I guess we've learned to comfortably live with (or around) the lowly Black Fly ......

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)