Old 08-21-2015, 10:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Having used canikons through the years I prefer Pentax. The K3 offers a water resistant tough body with outstanding image quality that can't be beat by the others unless you are willing to pay thousands more.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #16
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Thanks to all for the great information on this thread.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #17
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Interesting thread...

I'm going to stay with my Nikon full frame gear, but I see great work coming from the ILC cameras.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
This thread makes me want to dust off my gear and charge batteries. Which is long overdue at this point. Last 2.5 years have been unusually eventful and included the birth of both of our children. Photography has taken a backseat to dirty diapers, slicing apples and bananas, and memorizing silly songs. Wouldn't trade a day of it either. But my interest in photography is being rekindled nonetheless.

A bit off subject, so rather than derail thread and populate images here, I will just provide a link to my images for any landscape or wildlife lovers reading this. Below is link, from my Flickr album/set titled 'Dans Favorites'. My Flickr home page can be assessed by simply Googling Danattherock Flickr. Tons of other pics are available in sets/albums on my Flickr main page. Many remote trips in Alaska among various other travels over last decade or so.

Most images in 'Dans Favorites' are from assorted trips throughout New England while we lived on Nantucket for four years. Honestly, it's just a set I threw together to load a digital picture frame for our kitchen. Maine largely, Bar Harbor/Acadia NP, coastal towns of Kennebunkport, Camden, Rockport, and Freeport,Maine LL Bean headquarters, and various lighthouse during varying seasons, covered bridge tour of Vermont/NH, white mountains, and Nantucket of course. We made about 12-15 trips up this way, can't wait to get back. Baxter State Park in Maine to photograph moose is high on list.

Also included in this link to 'Dans Favorites' are many images from Alaska where we lived three years, and still return for vacation each Fall since 2003. Mainly taking our whitewater raft up and floating remote rivers for 7-14 days, 80-130 miles, as we float, fly fish, and camp our way down river. The silence is deafening comes to mind. Mostly arctic NW Alaska and SW (Bristol Bay), with a few images from SE/Ketchikan 40-50 mile fly outs to remote cabins on rivers fly fishing for steelhead in Spring. Some of the wildlife images are from a boat trip out of Seward,AK with Kenai Fjords Tours.

Also, a few assorted Caribbean images from my wife's twin sisters wedding in Jamaica.

Ironically, the children images are not of my own, but assorted nephews and nieces. Mine are much cuter. Hah. Seriously.

Sorry for being long winded, but I like to know what I'm seeing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/211440...57623762425029

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I went from a 30D to a 5D (I miss those images dearly) to a 6D. Have a host of lenses to go along with them.

Seriously considering switching to Fuji for the reasons you express.
Scott... the Fuji bodies are pretty good, and their lenses are awesome. The bodies are upgraded seemingly every few months... so I would imagine they are even better than when I dabbled with them a while back. After doing so, and comparing the results to my m4/3 results and vast amount of gear, I decided to stick with m4/3 and not keep the Fuji gear that I bought. Though it would not have been a mistake to go with the Fuji system, as I did like it!

The m4/3 system is by far the most mature system of bodies and lenses among the various interchangeable-lens mirrorless systems out there (Sony's APSC stuff, Sony's full-frame stuff, Fuji's APSC system, etc.) There are lenses I have in m4/3 that can't be matched (or can't be matched except at exorbitant cost) in the other systems. And still, the m4/3 gear is more compact. No matter how small a full-frame system camera body gets, the laws of physics restrict how small the LENSES for those bodies can get.

So, if shaving size and weight is an important goal, systems like the A7 and, to a lesser extent Fuji APSC, don't go that far.

That said... if one just needs two or three lenses to achieve their photographic goals and isn't that needy of having a huge range of various lenses available with "native" functionality of auto-focus, then some of these other systems can be great choices as long as one doesn't mind the larger size and heavier weight to carry around.

I am tempted by the latest A7R+ or whatever they call it, but the price is very high and the cost of the really good lenses for it are, as well.

In the end, I'm likely to stay with m4/3 for the foreseeable future. New bodies are released in this format about every 6 months... and they've gotten to be really amazing.

The about-to-be-released Lumix GX8 will most certainly be coming to my kit in the near future. Absolutely amazing camera. And I already have a kit of 15 or so great lenses to mount on it. I absolutely love my GX7, so I'm sure the GX8 will knock it out of the park!

DMC-GX8 Lumix G Compact System Cameras - Panasonic UK & Ireland

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/p...l-review-27807

These are really exciting times to be in photography!

Bodies may only stay current for a couple of years at most (due to rapid technological advancements in sensors and electronics), but great quality lenses have staying power of decades.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
10-4 on the glass. Bodies are darn near disposable depending on ones mindset. I abide by the buy once cry once view when buying lenses. So far, no regrets.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
10-4 on the glass. Bodies are darn near disposable depending on ones mindset. I abide by the buy once cry once view when buying lenses. So far, no regrets.

Dan
Absolutely... spend the money for the best glass and you can be getting amazing results from the lenses almost forever.

Since I began my journey with micro 4/3, six years ago, I've had, perhaps, seven bodies, three of which I still have. Nothing wrong with the ones that I've sold... it's just that with each new generation of bodies (once or twice a year, per body "type") they just keep getting better and with cooler new features. They have essentially become computers that you can attach lenses to.

In the m4/3 system, current production bodies are available in an amazing variety of sizes and types. Ranging from the tiny GM5, to the GF7, G7, GX8, up to the GH4 in the Lumix line. And in the Olympus line-up, from the very small EPL-7 to EP-5, to EM10, EM5 and up to the big EM1.

Whether you want very small and pocketable, pro-featured DSLR-style, or something in-between, there is a m4/3 body to meet your needs.

And the system of lenses offered by Panasonic (Lumix), Olympus, Sigma, Voitlander, etc. is fabulous:
Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

It's a great, and mature, system, greatly helped by being supported by Panasonic AND Olympus. Having two major companies developing interchangeable bodies and lenses, for the same system, is pretty awesome!

The Fuji APSC system is becoming more mature of late. They have a nice range of excellent quality lenses available, though still falling far short of the wide range of what is offered in the m4/3 system.

Other newer mirrorless ILC systems (Sony, Samsung) also have some great offerings, but they are larger and heavier (due to sensor size requirements), and their systems are comparatively thin on "native" lens offerings. Over time, however, hopefully they too should become quite well "fleshed-out" with a wide variety of high quality lenses offerings.

There is pretty much something for everyone on the camera market these days.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kuna , Idaho
I'm very happy with my Fuji X100T. Small size, great color. No lenses to lug around. Perfect for worldwide travel.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Longmont , Colorado
Love my Fuji XT-1. Lightweight, and so versatile. I have given up shooting in RAW with this camera, and absolutely LOVE it. The new firmware updates that have been recent are great..and Fuji really seems to listen to its customers. I do not miss my Canon gear and lenses...I did keep my 24-70L and a basic Canon body for a back up.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #24
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunniStream View Post
Love my Fuji XT-1. Lightweight, and so versatile. I have given up shooting in RAW with this camera, and absolutely LOVE it. The new firmware updates that have been recent are great..and Fuji really seems to listen to its customers. I do not miss my Canon gear and lenses...I did keep my 24-70L and a basic Canon body for a back up.
This is what I keep hearing.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Sony Alpha 7 II with 35mm prime lens

I'm very happy with my Sony Alpha 7 II and 35mm Zeiss prime lens. It has 5-axis stabilization in the body so it stabilizes any lens you put on it. I have found it will take any picture I can see with fantastic rendition of the subtleties. The 35mm lens choice matches human field-of-view pretty closely, and it's very compact. I decided to buy a better camera just because I was sick of shutter lag, and in the process I found that Sony has quietly leap-frogged to the front of the field.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
First let me say thank you for your initial thread. I enjoyed reading it and also enjoyed looking at your pictures. However I am now at the stage where I want compact and no longer want to bring cameras when I travel. I have been been predominantly relying on a small camcorder and my iPhone 6+ which I would like to add a snap on lens for our trip overseas. So I was wondering if you hd any recoomendations as to which snap on lesns to purchase.

Thanks
John
Old 08-23-2015, 02:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
First let me say thank you for your initial thread. I enjoyed reading it and also enjoyed looking at your pictures. However I am now at the stage where I want compact and no longer want to bring cameras when I travel. I have been been predominantly relying on a small camcorder and my iPhone 6+ which I would like to add a snap on lens for our trip overseas. So I was wondering if you hd any recoomendations as to which snap on lesns to purchase.

Thanks
John
Hi John... thanks for your appreciative comments.

My knowledge of snap on lenses for iPhones is so little as to be of no value. If I were you, I would get into some extensive internet searching, as I'm sure there is a huge amount of very useful info out there to be found.

If and when you become equipped with a snap on lens, please let us know how it works for you!
Old 08-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thank you for your response. I have looked on the web and of course found many options some very inexpensive to rather expensive. The two that seem to receive the best reviews are the olloclips and the Ipro lens system by Schneider Optics. Olloclips is about 70 dollars and the Ipro is about 229 dollars.

I have no experience with either brand so I am not sure which is the best. I will be using them in Europe on a river cruise in November and then in Budapest for about a week and also when Airstreaming.