Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I need/want a new camera.

Hi, without all of the details, which can be mind boggling, I have three possibilities. First off, I'm looking for a super zoom pocket camera. [20X optical zoom] my old Canon has 4X zoom. Does anyone here have any experiences with these or other recommendations. My old Canon uses AA batteries and the new cameras use rechargeable batteries and have reports of short life.

I'm looking at Canon, Panasonic, and Sony.

Canon SX 260 12.1 MP 20X optical zoom.

Panasonic Lumix ZS20 14.1 MP 20X optical zoom.

Sony Cybershot DSC HX30 V 18.1 MP 20X optical zoom.
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Idyllwild , California
I am a pro photographer and I keep a Canon g1x in my bag. Great back up if my main rig goes south. I can still get the image I need for my clients.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frontpage.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	162757  
Idyllwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Now this is right down my alley. Yes I can help but better than that, I can give you a resource that will help you pick http://www.steves-digicams.com/best-cameras.htmlhttp://

This guy classifiies cameras into groups and price ranges and has detailed reviews on the cameras along with sample shots from the cameras. Real detail but also gets down to basic performance. What I do is look through the categories and find duplicate models scoring high and focus in on them. I found two of your picks on the site so far. Check it out. Note all the work he puts into this.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Hi Bob;
Got the Panasonic model you described at Costco 2 weeks ago for my daughter as a birthday gift. She just loves the zoom!! So far she's used it in Tokoyo and Vegas. She had a sony 4X prior and tho this is a little larger she raves about it.
The technology is moving rapidly and the ability to cram features in is a mind blow.She also likes the screen size and touch features.She did not complain about short battery life.
See you at Jackson!!
Tim
On Edit- Bob we got the ZS19 not the 20. the 20 has gps the 19 does not.She didn't want us to know where she was. lol
an inexpensive monopod helps with the zoom.
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Just breezing through the reviews Rob the Sony sounds really good great price, long battery life but it also has flexible battery selection and zeiss lens. He states that the performance is quick also. So, if you can deal with the memory stick proprietary thing of Sony, that might be a good one.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...60-review.html

In the canon review he mentioned that the autofocus is somewhat slow. FYI
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I use a Nikon Coolpix S4100. 5× zoom, 14.0 megapixels, touch-screen display on the back, 720p movie recording, takes SD, SDHC or SDXC memory cards, uses a lithium-ion battery that's good for almost 200 shots before needing a recharge.

Manufacturer's website at: Nikon COOLPIX S4100 Camera
Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I almost bought the Panasonic or one very much like it. I wanted an interchangeable lens so I went with another camera, but for a pocketable super-zoom the Panasonic is a very good camera.

I found in trying out lots of cameras that I absolutely hate touch-screen controls for cameras. YMMV but it just didn't seem like a good thing from an ergonomic standpoint. I've had a touch-screen smartphone for 2+ years and wouldn't go back to a keyboard there, but prefer rockers and thumbwheels for the way I manipulate a camera.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I prefer the Pentax "W" models. Takes HD movies and stills. Waterproof down to 40', crushproof and fits in your shirtpocket. A real rugged camera.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Robert

I concur on the Steve's Digicams website. It is excellent.

I like the Canon Cameras. I am a home inspector and use the SX200is for my main camera (12x zoom) and a Canon SD1300is for my backup and everything else. Both cameras have quite a wide angle lens which is real important to me for inside shots (5.0). The SX model allows you to delete a range of photos. With the SD you need to delete all the photos or just one at a time- bummer. Battery life has not been a problem, in fact I would classify the battery life as great. Just like computers, I understand and only use just a few of the features.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I've had a touch-screen smartphone for 2+ years and wouldn't go back to a keyboard there, but prefer rockers and thumbwheels for the way I manipulate a camera.
I hear you. In addition to my Nikon Coolpix, that I carry around all the time, for "serious" (mostly work-related) photography I have a Digital SLR, a Nikon D3200, that I bought after reading a review of it by photographer Ken Rockwell. I don't carry the DSLR all the time, though. An Airstream Interstate has a very limited amount of storage space, so if I don't need the big camera, I don't take the big camera. But the little camera fits in a pocket, and so basically takes up no space at all in the RV.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
This is the new benchmark in small cameras. I shoot (moving film) for a living and I can't wait to get one of these. Not the cheapest, but very good quality.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 - Digital cameras - CNET Reviews
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I hear you. In addition to my Nikon Coolpix, that I carry around all the time, for "serious" (mostly work-related) photography I have a Digital SLR, a Nikon D3200, that I bought after reading a review of it by photographer Ken Rockwell. I don't carry the DSLR all the time, though. An Airstream Interstate has a very limited amount of storage space, so if I don't need the big camera, I don't take the big camera. But the little camera fits in a pocket, and so basically takes up no space at all in the RV.
I actually bought a "tweener" camera rather than a DSLR... they're taking to calling them EVIL on camera forums (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens.) The one I chose is an Olympus PEN, due in no small part to the 20 years I spent with Olympus 35mm SLRs. It's not pocketable but very compact and light, and I use my phone for quick point/shoot snapshot stuff when I don't have the "real" camera.

I just found on the touch-screen cameras (pocket-size and EVIL) I frequently touched the screen when I didn't mean to, sometimes taking pictures, sometimes opening menus and such that interfered with actually taking a picture when I intended... mind you, this is all in-store fiddling, so it's possible that I might have gotten used to the touch screen after a while, but I chose to avoid the issue instead.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Used to be a big Canon guy... Have been into the Panasonic small cameras and love them. The ZS series is a really nice camera. We now have 2 Panasonics, a ZS10 and a TS4 (waterproof tough cam) and a GF5 micro-4/3 on the way!

My mom, mom in law, sister, all went with th ZS after playing with ours. Very capable camera for such a small package.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
First of all I am not a professional photographer. I don't even consider my self a good amateur one. I lack skills and talent in art.

However, this is the logic I apply to buying a modern camera. The electronics in modern cameras play a big part today. However they are all fairly much the same, with the same things to consider as with any electronic device. The more expensive the camera, the more features you will find. Do you need them? Only the buyer knows that.

The other major component is the optics. That is were I focus when choosing a camera. My opinion is that the companies with the long time reputations for producing great optical cameras, will have the best optics. When I factor in what I have had experience with in the past, I will always pick Canon or Nikon. If I were buying a stereo or the like, I would look at Panasonic, Sony, etc. But not for a camera.

An 18 megapixel camera is no better that a 4 megapixel one if the optics suck.

That is my 2 cents worth, packaged in fancy dollar wrapping.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re: the optics: this has to be examined per CAMERA, rather than just per brand, because for some cameras (including the one in question) Panasonic is using Leica lenses. There are a couple of Panasonic models that are actually rebranded Leica cameras all the way through.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, without all of the details, which can be mind boggling, I have three possibilities. First off, I'm looking for a super zoom pocket camera. [20X optical zoom] my old Canon has 4X zoom. Does anyone here have any experiences with these or other recommendations. My old Canon uses AA batteries and the new cameras use rechargeable batteries and have reports of short life.

I'm looking at Canon, Panasonic, and Sony.

Canon SX 260 12.1 MP 20X optical zoom.

Panasonic Lumix ZS20 14.1 MP 20X optical zoom.

Sony Cybershot DSC HX30 V 18.1 MP 20X optical zoom.
I don't have experience with those specific cameras, though I do have experience with two of Canon's products, both of which I like. I carry two, older cameras, an old Canon Powershot 550, which is very small, about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and fits nicely in it's case on my belt; I also carry a older Canon 5D, with a couple of extra lenses, etc. The 5D takes beautiful pictures (at least it has that capability, if the operator points it in the right direction) is a full-frame DSLR that's much larger and heavier, and tends not to join me on hikes of any real distance. The little Powershot can go everywhere without nuisance. We tend to use the little camera to take "snapshots", pictures of each of us to document our adventures. One of the features that I really like on the little camera (besides its portability) is that in addition to the LCD screen, it also has a viewfinder. While there's considerable parallax, the viewfinder comes in very handy when bright sunlight makes the LCD difficult to see. I suspect that later generations of this camera may have retained that feature.

As far as a review of the more technical aspects of the three cameras that you mention, they should be widely available online, or in photography magazines.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
These guys have really high quality reviews. They test everything. Steve's Digicams is ok but not near as good from a technical standpoint.

Reviews / Previews: Digital Photography Review

Optics is part of it, noise level is another part of i and then it comes down to low light performance and speed. Many point and shoot pocket cameras are really crappy for action and low light for anything more than a snap shot. Megapixels don't mean a thing. Anything over about 6 is just wasting storage space for most purposes. For some reason there is this more megapixels is better mentality.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
These guys have really high quality reviews. They test everything. Steve's Digicams is ok but not near as good from a technical standpoint.

Reviews / Previews: Digital Photography Review

Optics is part of it, noise level is another part of i and then it comes down to low light performance and speed. Many point and shoot pocket cameras are really crappy for action and low light for anything more than a snap shot. Megapixels don't mean a thing. Anything over about 6 is just wasting storage space for most purposes. For some reason there is this more megapixels is better mentality.

Perry
I always opt for more megapixels so I can make the entire front of our house a mural of one photograph. I am waiting for 10,000mp to be available, so, I can do a 10 acre plot of land showing my face to outer space. No wait, let's make it my butt. That will deter any potential ET Alien invasions.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Medford , Southern Oregon
If you can identify the type of photography you plan on doing the majority of the time, it will help you narrow down your options.

Choose which features you want in your new camera. Some cameras have a wider lens, appropriate for shooting landscapes, cityscapes, etc. Some have super telephoto lenses that allow you to zoom in and capture far away details. Some cameras have a 'fast' lens allowing you to shoot indoors without a lot of digital noise. Many point and shoot cameras have manual controls for those that don't want the camera to make decisions for them. There really isn't a point and shoot camera that does all these things, IMO.

There are MANY things to consider besides image quality. For example, I simply cannot use a camera without a decent optical viewfinder, it's a deal killer for me. So, for my 'walk around' camera I chose a Fuji X100 with a fixed (equiv) 35mm lens. It is lightweight, has excellent image quality, I can shoot 'RAW' and I'm very happy. Many would NOT enjoy his camera. You have to compromise when choosing your equipment so just figure out what is most important and then choose a camera and get to making photos! :-)

Check out Digital Photography Review for reviews
sakthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
my 2 I have the Nikon coolpix S1000pj. wide 5x zoom, 2.7 lcd and built in PROJECTOR, yes, projector out to 10 feet. Good to show pix to groups instead of passing the camera around.
Fits in pocket and the lens does not protrude to focus. size about 3x5x.75
Takes good action pix, night time, closeup and portrait.
CON takes time to change modes
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote