Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have read all of the reports and looked at all of the cameras mentioned. You gave me some great information to work with. My camera history: my first real camera was a Konica T-3 35mm SLR with tri-pod and several lenses. after a few decades, I still had a great camera, but processing was a nightmare and the correct batteries were outlawed. [not made anymore] Other batteries would fit, but the meter was slightly off. The biggest problem with the different batteries was that they would fade away [giving false readings] instead of holding there voltage until death.

My first digital camera was a Konica XD300. Two things that were bad with this camera was very bad battery life and the batteries had to be charged in the camera. The batteries were like a stick of gum, tiny. We were on vacation, setting up for a great shot, and the battery died. I had four spares that were all charged up, but they failed almost instantly. The spare batteries would not hold a charge, while out of the camera for one day.

My next camera was a Canon Power Shot A1000is. This camera was 10 MP and 4X optical zoom. I like the size and the fact that it uses an SD card and "AA" batteries. I always carry spare batteries and have never missed a shot. This is a good camera and is the one that I am using now. My wife bought a Canon Rebel DSLR with two lenses. I bought a spare battery for it because we don't ever want another missed photo/s because of a dead battery. This camera seems to go forever on one battery and although we never had to change the battery while using it, we alternate the batteries every day while out on a trip.

Now of the three cameras that I'm interested in, because of the 20X zoom, two of them [Panasonic & Sony] have their batteries charged through a mini USB cable in the camera. That is the biggest drawback at this point. Right now, I leaning on the Canon, but not ready to make the decision yet.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #44
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Bob;
get a little device that goes into the cig lighter socket on your tow vehicle or the ones in the drainpipe that magically connect up to your usb/mini cable. frys has em.or theres rollup solar chargers in case you feel the need for a walk about after reading this thread.
see you later. say hello to your lovely bride!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Idyllwild , California
I have a Olympus EP-3 for sale, it is an "evil" camera Electronic Viewfinder with Interchangeable Lens.
this is an awesome camera and retails for 900 us dollars, I do testing for Olympus and never got around to this one. Do a google searhc on the ep-3.. you will be impressed.
Let it go cheap Private message me if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	olympus-pen-ep-3-05.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	162845  
Old 07-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Greetings Bob,

i checked back in to see what you had decided. The link to the review site, the first link I posted, does not work. Here it is again:

Steves Digicams - Digital Camera Reviews, Camera News, and Photography Information

This is a gold mine for making decisons on cameras. It provides actual comparitive photos taken with the different cameras and performance information that is as good as if you had all the cameras and tested them yourself. I already mentioned this but he has complete reviews on the Canon and Sony models you listed. He DID just finish reviewing the Panasonic ZS15 perhaps similar to the ZS20. If you go on the page, don't miss his drop down menu at the bottom of his review body text. It is easy to do since the ads are on both sides of his reviews and cause some sensory overload.The "camera store" section of the site is good for identifying cameras with similiar features then zeroing in on that but you have sorta done that part.

I now read the three reviews including the Panny ZS15 (as there is no ZS20 review) and understand better what you mean. The Canon comes with a charger; however, note that the Sony uses standard battery types - package AA or rechargeable AA.

Dave says of the Canon:

Canon estimates about 230 photos can be taken on a full charge. My tests showed that is a good estimate, perhaps just a little high. The amount of battery life you'll receive depends greatly on how often you move the zoom back and forth through its large 20x range, as well as how often the camera must pop up the flash unit, both of which will drain the battery a bit more quickly. Use of the camera's built-in GPS drains the battery more quickly, too.

Dave says of the Sony:
Old 07-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
The Cyber-shot S60 is powered by two AA batteries, alkaline or NiMH type. Sony's Stamina technology provides up to 100 shots with LCD turned on or 150 shots with the LCD turned off using alkaline batteries. And up to 440 shots with the LCD turned on or 590 shots with the LCD turned off when using NiMH rechargeable batteries. There is an optional charge stand available.

The S60 is powered by two AA batteries, which means you can opt to use alkaline or NiMH type cells. Sony states that users should Not use manganese, lithium or NiCd type batteries. The S60 is among many of Sony's new "Stamina" series digicams and they claim you can capture up to 440 shots with the LCD turned on or 590 shots with the LCD turned off (not including use of the flash) when using NiMH rechargeable batteries. We had no problems capturing our sample photos (about 100 shots) and concluding our other tests before our 2500 mAh batteries were exhausted

I like the larger LCD of the Panny and the Canon. Well, let us know.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Redwood guy made a very good list. To me the thing that ultimately determines the quality of the picture is the size of the picture sensor chip. Also bigger chips cost more. A lot more! And it takes larger and better lenses to cover the larger chip. I go with pick a camera that is easy to use and that gives results you can live with. I am so happy with my Olympus stylus that when I thought I lost it last year I went on ebay and bought another just like it instead of one of the new higher zoom-resolution models. Then I found the old camera, and I enjoy having 2 of them and 3 batteries, probably more than I would one better one. For years I used high quality Nikon 35 mm cameras at work, ranging from a F1 in the 60's all the way up to the latest mid range digital SLR as of 4 years ago, and yes, the Nikon or Cannon cameras with the half frame chip are wonderfully fast and make much better pictures than any of the smaller cheaper cameras, regardless of any features on the latter. But using them is more like work or a something you do as a strong hobby interest. If you do action or wildlife you will probably not be happy with anything else. Try taking a picture of a whale breaching with a delay on the initial exposure and a 4 second penalty on a second shot with a poiint and shoot. I got lots of pictures of a little wave where they were.

I personally am a big fan of lithium batteries. I have a larger camera that I use the lithium battery that looks like it could be replaced with 2 AA's. I buy them at walmart and get long life. I think they cost 12 and last me about 3 months. The Stylus's have the rechargable lithium and I get good life from a charge on them. The bummer is that if you run one down there is no way to get up and running again if you forgot to bring a charger. But it lets me carry a very light, slim camera with the potential to take a thousand or so pictures between charges.

Got drills and drivers with lithium batteries too. I just can not imagine not using the new battery technology. Best improvement I have seen in a number of years.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, now I understand. Your wife has the Canon DSLR and you want a pocket one. Two cameras, 2 people, 2 different uses.

My wife sometimes brings the Olympus and she can take what she wants and I can with the Canon.

Gene
Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
A little off topic, but a couple of years ago, someone hooked up an old electronic camera to his brake pedal so it would take a photo every time he stepped on the brakes. His post had a photo of a semi that cut him off and almost forced him off the road.

Does anyone recall the details, as I am considering doing this with an old camera?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There are dash cameras that will take like 2hrs of video in a loop so if you get into an accident you got the whole thing on an SD card. I have thought of getting one. It could have come in handy a couple years ago.

Perry
Old 07-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Remember, that video can be used against you as well as for you.

Gene
Old 07-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #53
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
anyone wanna buy any videos of their spouses?

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I now own a new camera.

Hi, I have been reading and studying until my head felt like it was going to explode. Some information that I found last night, helped me to make my final decision. I hope it was a good one and I continue to post some nice pictures on this forum, in my blog, and in my thread "Bob and Lee's random trip."

Today I bought the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V at the Sony store in the South Coast Plaza Mall. This was the first camera to catch my eye, but I wanted to do some studying before I made a decision to part with my hard earned money. None of these cameras have a view finder, I will have to learn to live with that. The Panasonic was the flashiest looking, being red and it was the only one without a pop-up flash. [I liked that] The Canon would have been the easiest one to use because we already have two Canons at home. And the Canon comes with an external battery charger. [I really like that] As mentioned earlier, I had some bad experiences with batteries that had to be charged inside of the camera.

Last night, I found out that I could buy an external battery charger with batteries for the Sony. [After market] So today I decided to buy the Sony and order an external battery charger. Too much to list, but the Sony does so much more that the other two cameras. It also costs quite a bit more. Last night I found out that the Sony went on sale. It was $419.00 and the sale price was $379.00 plus a free $15.00 SD card. Another silent part of my deal was that I had to buy my next camera in a store. I got a letter from Jaguar saying that they would give me a $100.00 credit card for just road testing a new car. This is right up my alley. So this camera was only costing me the sale price, less $100.00 of free money. This would have made any of the deals a little bit sweeter. Thinking about the aftermarket battery charger and batteries, I searched again and found a Sony factory battery charger and spare battery on Amazon.com for less than half price. [they are on order] I have been playing with my new toy [wife calls it] all evening and it will be some time before I take some pictures to see; Hope well it works.
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
I seem to be coming to the part late, but for what it's worth we recently bought a Sony Cybershot DSC HX9V and LOVE it! It is an excellent compact megazoom that meets our needs well. Check the CNET review.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Sounds like a great choice, and price too.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Camera - Preview

Yeah, the hard earned money part and decisions is always a motivator. That same reason is why I bought an AS. Over and over I kept hearing from long time RVers that the roof is critical - in FL get a all fiberglass or a metal roof. Glad you got the one you wanted. Sony makes some great cameras. If you look on that site (see above) and look "across" brands /models you begin to pick up some generalities about cameras. A few years back, Canons generally had issues with purple edging on digital images due to their lens'. That is why doing what you did, researching, is more important than brand loyalty.