Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I need a new photo program

I have a Mac mini. It used to have I-photo which is no longer supported. It was replaced with "Photos" which seems limited. It does not seem to be able to change file size and what is more of a pita is posting photos on the Forums they always come out sideways. This did not happen with I-Photo.

Can anyone tell me how to better use "Photos"? And/or what other photo programs to you recommend?

Signed,
Technologically challenged
Old 09-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
I recommend that you consider Adobe Lightroom
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
With my "Photos" program if I crop the photo slightly it will post right side up. Hmmm.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:05 PM   #4
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
What DHRoberts said

Adobe Lightroom is exceedingly capable, broad, and rich. There is a learning curve but there are ample rewards for doing so. Adobe's subscription model is widely disliked by many (including myself) but I've become resigned to seeing it as "the cost of doing business." Adobe offers a free trial period of use, I believe 30 days, before requiring you to commit to paying for the product.
If you are a serious amateur (or pro) photographer, particularly if you shoot RAW files, Lightroom is a very strong organizing and processing tool.
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wiltrakis View Post
. Adobe's subscription model is widely disliked by many (including myself) but I've become resigned to seeing it as "the cost of doing business."

If you are a serious amateur (or pro) photographer, particularly if you shoot RAW files, Lightroom is a very strong organizing and processing tool.
Not sure if I would describe myself as a "serious amateur", although I taught photography years ago in the pre digital dinosaur days. Now mainly snapshots of trips, family, and pets. How much does it cost? Thanks
Old 09-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Adobe sells the combination of Lightroom and Photoshop for $9.99 a month per its subscription model. It is also possible to purchase Lightroom software outright but Adobe does not update/upgrade this product as it does for subscription users.
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Mac Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I have a Mac mini. It used to have I-photo which is no longer supported. It was replaced with "Photos" which seems limited. It does not seem to be able to change file size and what is more of a pita is posting photos on the Forums they always come out sideways. This did not happen with I-Photo.

Can anyone tell me how to better use "Photos"? And/or what other photo programs to you recommend?

Signed,
Using the Mac Photos app, I export (File, Export) the photo to a folder (Downloads) and then can easily add it to a forum post using the paperclip attachments tool in the advanced reply window.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:49 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I use the free version of PhotoScape and have been very pleased. It does a good job of modifying things as needed. They have different versions so make sure you grab the correct one.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I was an Aperture user but since Apple ditched it I've been using Photos. However, Apple doesn't seem too interested in updating this program with new features except during major OSX releases so I've been watching Lightroom youTube videos and I'm consider migrating. I've all ready exported my photos to an external hard drive. I'll use Photos for Photostream between our Apple devices.

When I migrate I plan to purchase the Lightroom 6 disc vs the software subscription. I don't like the idea of having to pay $10/mo for the rest of my life. I understand there are a couple of features that don't come with the disc version but since I'm not a prosumer photographer what LR 6 has to offer is just fine. Who knows if Adobe will offer a standalone version of LR 7 whenever it comes out. Also, what happens if your computer can't connect to the internet when using the subscription model? It must have to check whether your subscription is still valid every time it starts up.

Kelvin
Old 09-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post

Signed,
It's not your photo app, it's the forum software. There is data in the image (called EXIF) that determines what the orientation of the photo "should" be. The bits in the photo have no idea on their own which way is supposed to be up.

The forum software, vBulletin, ignores this info, so the "top" is the top of your iPhone, regardless of whether or not you were holding it in landscape mode.

This is not a problem in any modern image software, Facebook, Twitter, browsers - because they read the EXIF data and know which way is up.

If you open the photo in just about any photo editing app and resave it then "top" becomes the top you see and the vBulletin software will display it correctly. You probably do need to change it in some way first, by resizing or rotating.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
It's not your photo app, it's the forum software. There is data in the image (called EXIF) that determines what the orientation of the photo "should" be. The bits in the photo have no idea on their own which way is supposed to be up.

The forum software, vBulletin, ignores this info, so the "top" is the top of your iPhone, regardless of whether or not you were holding it in landscape mode.

This is not a problem in any modern image software, Facebook, Twitter, browsers - because they read the EXIF data and know which way is up.

If you open the photo in just about any photo editing app and resave it then "top" becomes the top you see and the vBulletin software will display it correctly. You probably do need to change it in some way first, by resizing or rotating.
^THIS explains EVERYTHING^! Thank you so much NW Getaways!

And can someone here please please explain to me why the owners of this forum refuse to update it so that we may upload our photos directly from our computers, laptops, phones, etc? I know that there are updated forms of this particular format that let you do so.

I would be glad to donate if they did update this forum format!!!
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post

I would be glad to donate if they did update this forum format!!!
I did, when I became a supporting member. One of the reasons I became a subscribing member is after posting a certain number of photos you cannot post any more unless you become a supporting member. There is also no way to delete your old photos from your old posts.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
For a basic, easy to use and free solution, set up Google Photos to automatically upload all photos on your computer. Photos from my phone are uploaded automatically whenever I'm connected to wifi, photos from my digital camera are uploaded as soon as I put them onto my computer. There is no space limit as long as you choose High Quality rather than Original Size. High Quality will be more than enough for posting. You can do some basic editing online and inserting photos by the image URL works well in the forums. This also gives you a backup of all of your photos, maybe not in the original resolution, but better than nothing. Many people have no backup of their photos, which is just asking for trouble.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Being a graphic designer, I use Photoshop when on the laptop, but for iPad or iPhone, I found one I really like...it's called "Afterlight" (free). It's remarkably powerful and easy to use ... and has a good array of key editing tools. There are lots of photo editing apps out there, so try some of the freebies out and see what works for you.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Hutto , Texas
Another option you might consider is GIMP. GIMP if a full featured open source photo editing program. It's free to download. I use it for all photo work that requires more than just moving files around.
Wanderer2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Drag the photo you want to upload onto your desktop then open it from the desktop. Select TOOLS then you will see the the resize option. When you upload onto Airforums choose the image on your desktop. You can now drag the image into the trash bin. The image in your PHOTOS library will not change.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Greenacres , Washington
Lightroom

Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop are robust photo editing applications and there are lots of free learning tools on the WWW. A Lightroom and Photoshop subscription guarantees software will be up to date. Also gives you access to Adobe Cloud storage/backup. I subscribe through a photographer's website call 500px. For a few dollars more per month, you have unlimited access to look at other people's photos for inspiration and a place to display any of your favorites.
vhaalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:02 AM   #18
AArdvAArk

2018 22' Sport
MORGANTOWN , West Virginia
I use iPhoto, Photos, Pixelmator on my Mac Mini. All seem to work well and resizing works with all including Preview.
FS4724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #19

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Blountville , Tennessee
I love Lightroom. A bit clunky but does a great job with organization and photo manipulation.
tecaulkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:49 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Orlando , Florida
I just weaned myself from Adobe. Yes, Lightroom and Photoshop are excellent but at $49/mo (Full CC package) I knew I could fall back on the $9.99 package but wanted to look around. As a Photoshop substitute (individual photo processing, no cataloging) impressed by Affinity Photo ($49). They have a series of tutorial (28 pages!) on their website with a video covering most situations. In terms of a Lighroom substitute that combines cataloging and processsing, I use a Sony camera which comes with Capture One for free, and an upgraded Sony version, while cheaper than the multi camera version, is a little pricey at $199 or $70 upgrade. What you may want to look at is Corel After Shot which is PC/Mac. Also, Corel's Paint Shop Pro is an excellent substitute for Affinity Photo/Photoshop, but it is PC only. Really didn't want to have it running under Parallels and jumping between operating systems - if it would - when using 2 or more programs to process a single photo.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote