Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Photography
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Getting back into photography, any camera geeks here to help me choose?!

I used to shoot with the Contax G2 system, with the complete line of lenses. When the digital age took over I lost interest in my hobby and sold my gear. Now I'm interested in getting back into it. I have been looking at some compact cameras and want opinions.
1. Leica D-lux
2. Leica V-lux
3. Hasselblad Lunar
4. Hasselblad Stellar ( pocket camera, no interchangeable lenses)

Thanks for your input📸

"Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare".
🌎
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Do you not want interchangeable lenses?

How are your digital editing skills? Do you want to be editing RAW files or just get JPEGs out of the camera?
Old 01-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
I find that digital data speed is sometimes an issue, there are multiple methods. I recommend you checkout the data download rate of the equipment you are interested in.

The next detail I would take a look at is the CCD digital performance. In a way it is like the fidelity of a audio system. Not all CCD devices perform the same.

good luck
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Do you not want interchangeable lenses?

How are your digital editing skills? Do you want to be editing RAW files or just get JPEGs out of the camera?

I do want interchangeable lenses, yes. I am a novice at digital editing as my previous serious camera was film and I mostly shot in B&W and printed in platinum/palladium. I avoided digital for so long because it seemed like "cheating" to me to do so much post production editing. I used to pride myself on printing the full negative so there was more time spent getting the shot than there was editing. So I have been out of the game for some time now and everything has changed on me!
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
You might want to look at M43 cameras like Olympus. They can use a lot of the old lenses you may be familiar with with adapters. And the electronic viewfinders have split screens with zoom that help aging eyes (and good eyes) manually focus.

While I haven't tried them, from what I understand they also have excellent JPG output. So much so that some people do not bother to shoot JPG and Raw, only the former.

I've read that about Fuji as well but the lens selection is not as extensive although their sensor is bigger.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Like you, I pretty much left photography when digital started arriving. After shooting Large Format sheet film, 35mm film in Leica, Nikon, Canon, and Hasselblad, and doing much of my own lab work, I also sold most of my equipment.

As Digital started to mature in both resolution and "in camera" control and processing, I regained my interest. Choice of photography equipment highly personal, and as with as many opinions on correct choice of brand and equipment as there are opinions on this forum as to the correct Tow Vehicle, or the correct WD/Sway Hitch technology!!!

After a few disappointing attempts, I have settled on the LEICA D-Lux series for a never fail pocket camera, and a NIKON FX format D750 body with which you can use almost every 35mm lens ever made by Nikon. I seldom ever do any "post-Processing" on a computer. And just like my old film cameras, I almost always shoot by setting my own exposure choices, but also have the opportunity to quickly switch to full auto when things get wild.

The Leica D-Lux is an amazing camera with which you would not be disappointed!!

Have Fun!!
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
If it were me, I'd look at some of the full frame DSLR cameras. I'm a Nikon guy and shoot the D810 36 mega pickle body for my landscape and some wildlife. The Canon 5D Mk III is excellent as well, as are the Sony cameras. If you're into medium format, Pentax has a very good (and affordable by medium format standards) camera. You can also consider some of the mirrorless cameras like the Sony a7r ii.

All good! Check DP reviews for objective feedback on the cameras, or B & H customer reviews to see what buyers think.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Everyone will promote what they use, and the subject of choosing a digital camera system is way too complex to lay out in a single post. However, I will say that the current system that is closest to your old G2 experience (other than a mega-buck Leica M240 kit) is one of the Fuji X bodies with a kit of their outstanding prime lenses. The Fuji's are far more "retro" in UI than most other digital cameras. An X-T1 or the new X-Pro2 with 3 or 4 prime lenses is a killer kit that would be most familiar to you from the Contax stuff.

You really need to find a good pro camera shop and go get some hands on with all of the options. You also need to try and define what type of photography you are interested in doing. Certain systems have sweet spots in terms of the genre (and technical attributes required). A high-end DSLR kit from Nikon or Canon is still the most flexible, but it is also the largest, heaviest and most expensive. The mirrorless (non-reflex) systems from Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji and Sony are smaller, lighter, less expensive than pro level DSLR bodies and glass, and offer some unique capabilities as well as some limitations for certain types of photography.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #9
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
I concur with the advice to visit a good pro camera shop and look at what's out there.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I have a Canon SLR with several lenses. Heavy and awkward load. Carried them from Europe to Japan. Recently bought a Sony RX-100 IV. Truly excellent little camera with as good quality. The trend is heading away from big SLR's and tons of heavy lens.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #11
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Major Tom -
Your optimum camera choice may depend on what you want to do with it: snapshots, street photography, portraits, landscape, birds in flight, macro. The cameras you list, and their associated lenses, are likely all excellent. But you may or may not be happy over the long run once you are using them. Big cameras today are heavier than big cameras in the film era, and so are lenses. For many, weight is important. (Not for me.) For best image quality, you want to shoot in RAW format (not JPEG) which will require familiarity and skill at digital processing using programs such as Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. There is a substantial learning curve here, but it is quite rewarding. It requires a time investment. You also need a computer that is up to the task. Slow processing will prove frustrating.
Perhaps you might start out with one of the cameras you list, use it extensively for a few months, and consider renting something very different - such as a full frame (FX) camera and one or more lenses of different focal lengths.
Find a local camera club or photo gallery and make some contacts. There is much to be learned there.
You will be surprised at how good digital photography can be. I've done large format and have spent many hours in a darkroom. I like what I can do today with my digital system substantially better.
I hope you have a similar experience -
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
As you did with film choose cameras with good glass with controls that are easy to use and remember. Shooting in RAW format will give you the most flexibility in the digital darkroom. Memory is relatively cheap so even with 20 MB files quite a few images will fit on a card. I really like Adobe Lightroom software since it can help you get the most out of each exposure.
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
You may want to check out the recommendations at www.wirecutter.com.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Saving for a FujiX myself. Beautiful pictures, good glass, now has an add on lens, nice styling, leather case.

Got Amazon gift cards for Christmas. Gonna save for a year and then go for it.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
This is like asking what motor oil you use, 100's of opinions. I have a lumix lz1000 the same camera as the leica v lux but $500 cheaper. Great travel camera and hard to beat. I also have a new Sony a 6000, and it's wonderful and many pros are starting to see advantages of the new mirrorless designs and the A 6000 is a good one.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Chewelah , Washington
Really like my Cannon 7D uses all the EOS lenses, easy to use , lots of flexibility in getting the shot . Reliable, always ready
gmshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
For high-quality images and a camera you can put in your pocket, check out the Lumix ZS50 - Leica glass and very adjustable - or just put it on full-auto and shoot.

The smaller Leica's are made by Lumix (Panasonic), they just cost more for the little red circle.

For SLR - the Nikon D3300 is not expensive, relatively light and makes excellent images.

Worlds best camera is the one you have with you
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #18
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Rivet

It so depends on what you are going to use your camera for and how much you will probably use it... and your budget. I've been a pro shooter for 35 years. I switched to digital in 2003 and now use Canon 1DX bodies because I primarily shoot equines and equine sports as well as cultural studies when I travel. I travel all over the world shooting in all weather/climate conditions and love having an insulated camera body. That said, I would not recommend my cameras because you most likely don't need that much camera. I only have them because it fills my specific needs.

Mostly shooting landscapes and travel photos? you have a big world of options. I know that many landscape photographers are loving their Sony cameras.
Not all sensors are equal. A camera might have lots of megapixels but it doesn't help if your sensor limits your quality, especially if you shoot in low light.

I would spend some time educating yourself on what is out there and talking to your local camera shop and you will start to see a pattern emerge of what is going to fit your individual needs.

I am going to Iceland in June. I will take my heavy 1DX with my wide angles for landscapes and my 70-200 for the Icelandic ponies, but with domestic flight weight/space restrictions, I am thinking of leaving my other heavy camera at home and picking up a smaller DSLR as a back up body. My journey of education on that is just beginning so I am probably in the same boat as you are right now. I hear a lot of talk about mirrorless... I must go read up. I know one thing, which is probably pretty important, less weight and compact is really nice, that is why my iPhone 6 gets a work out when I travel. Good luck!
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Normally I would jump on a Hassey as a C-500 is still in my stable, however it is just a Hassey body on Sony inards. Why not just buy a Sony? The Leica becomes more interesting at that point.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
My favorite website for researching cameras is dpreview.com
In particular, their "Search" webpage offers a drill-down method to help you pick the cameras that may be best for you. Their "Compare" link provides side-by-side comparisons of multiple cameras - e.g. The Leica models you listed. They provide a useful glossary, and in- depth reviews. Check out:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/cameras
phann is offline   Reply With Quote