Old 01-29-2016, 03:21 AM   #29
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
What I still haven't seen answered is your abilities/desire to do computer editing. Will you be shooting RAW and editing every photo or do you want a JPEG right out of the camera?

I have a Canon 6d and like it, shooting RAW. JPEGs out of the camera are not great.

I've read that Olympus and Fuji are the best in that department.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
So many good choices!

If ur shooting from the Airstream and TV, a larger camera with interchangeable lenses is not an issue. I just found a great deal at Costco on the 3/4 sensor 70D that comes with a pair of Canon "kit" lenses that are decent and very lightweight. Also comes with nice case and spare battery all fir $1200 as a complete setup. We decided on Canon because I found the user interface more intuitive than my older Nikon film camera, and the variety and quality of lenses available to upgrade. I shoot a lot of sports action photography (we're all windsurfers) and have found that even the large jpg images are quite good and the color right out of the camera is good enough for most amateurs. As a retired pro art director, I find the RAW images quite good--adequate for 8.5 x 11 size--but I'd miss the image quality from a full format camera if I were building poster size images (26x40).

The 70D's big brother (in the 3/4 sensor line), is the 7D Mark II. After much research and soul searching, I decided that the advantages (faster frame per second/slightly faster autofocus for still photography) were offset by the 7D's larger size and the 70D's excellence for staying focused on a moving subject in movie mode.) so far, we've not been disappointed.

The LUMIX line with Leica glass has been a family favorite for smaller units with built in zoom when traveling. The Canon was bought particularly for Airstream travel, but we've already flown with it to Maui for a pro windsurf shoot last month, a still shoot to add an element into some advertising Key Art back in LA, and we're currently boarding a plane for a mountain shoot in Telluride.

It's been much more successful than the Lumix's in ease and speed of acquiring and tracking fast moving subjects, so I think it will be lots of fun for birds and other wildlife this spring. So a terrific value for a DSLR that I don't think we'll outgrow.

I just bought Canon's new 100-400L IS II big zoom, and can't wait to enjoy it's reach for wave sailing photography--with the 3/4 sensor in the Canon, the effective max zoom is about 640mm.

There's a ton of good advice on this thread--it really is hard to buy a bad camera! So first figure out what you're going to be shooting and whether you'll need to fly with it or just travel in your car/truck. Then figure out what budget range works for you. Go to your local camera shop and get their advice, and ask to also "play" with different brands to see which menu system seems most intuitive to you (for me, LUMIX is among the best in that area.) Going online to comparo sites is next.

A lot of research, then a time investment learning your new acquisition in the real world, and you're good to go!!

Have fun!

Old 01-29-2016, 04:33 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
If you want to shoot JPG's and not fool with RAW, Fuji (1st choice) or Olympus are your friends. The Fuji X series is really the JPG king by a good margin these days.

I have both systems, BTW.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #32
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
If you want to shoot JPG's and not fool with RAW, Fuji (1st choice) or Olympus are your friends. The Fuji X series is really the JPG king by a good margin these days.

I have both systems, BTW.
Interesting. The Fuji is really that much better?

Overall, which do you like?
Old 01-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Different systems with different strengths and weaknesses. There is no single "best" for everything
Old 01-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
Go read here... http://www.kenrockwell.com
Lots of interesting reviews and views.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopat View Post

Oh god, not KR. The guy's a joke in the industry

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
noticed that Jason Wynn of "Gone with the Wynns" rv peeps switched to the Sony A6000 as his primary camera- he says. Just sayin.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...ony-a6000A.HTM
Old 01-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #37
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopat View Post
This guy is not (in my opinion) objective. DPreview, Thom Hogan for Nikons, and even B & H customer reviews are more helpful to my way of thinking.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bay Shore , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Interesting. The Fuji is really that much better?

Overall, which do you like?
To be completely objective, I have not seen the jpeg results from all camera brands, but I can offer this: the JPEG engine in my X-Pro1 was leaps ahead of anything comparable on the market at the time. It was one of the first I'd seen where compression artifacts were virtually undetectable. It is so good that for most purposes shooting in raw became unnecessary*. The initial reports on the X-Pro2 indicate that it is even better. The film emulators all use the JPEG format and the results appear to be really high quality, which certainly simplifies the post processing requirements.

*Important exception: if you do a lot of post processing such as I do with some of my art photography, raw format is still a requisite as even the best compression algorithms still remove data and this can have an effect on the results with heavy processing. By way of an example of a heavily processed X-Pro1 image:

http://www.essentiallightphotography...ridges-lakes/2
Old 01-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
I still have my mint condition Contax G2 system- those lenses are amazing. With an adapter, you can still use the lenses on newer M34 cameras.

I looked at Leica, Fuji, and others before landing on the Olympus OMD EM5. It handles and has the same feel as the Contax - and the prime and pro lenses are every bit as good as the Zeiss lenses on the Contax.

I would look specifically at two models: the OMD EM5 II (with the added grip attachment), and the newly announced all metal PEN model that is configured like a rangefinder.

For lenses, I love the following: PRO 7-14mm, 12-40, and 40-150. Those will meet all your needs. I supplemented with the 75mm, 45, and 12mm primes. I have a 75-300mm lens, but would prefer the PRO 300 mm lens, which is much faster at AF.

The size and quality of the M43 format is excellent - I don't miss anything over the full frame sensors.

Best thing - you get Leica quality at about 1/2 the price.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
To me the best camera is the one that you have with you all the time.

Today's high end phones have cameras approaching DSLR quality. The new iPhone 7 that will be out in Oct. supposedly will be full DSLR quality.

With todays processing technics, it is amazing the quality of photos that can be obtained with a small camera. Plus with new HDR techniques you can actually make photos that reproduce what the eye actually sees.

My recommendation is to start out shooting with a high end smart phone. Learn the techniques and software, and then see if you really need a dslr or interchangeable lens.
Your phone is a lot easier to carry and will always be handy night or day.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
RVDreamer I like the phone advice. That's what I have been doing for some time now. I'm saving for a Fuju X but in the meantime have my Droid Turbo with a great camera. Another plus the photos are on the phone and easy to attach to the forum.

We'll see what happens.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
A good discussion of sensor sizes & a vote for Fuji X. Personally I am using an Olympus micro 4/3, but would get the Fuji if buying now. Have to admit that most of the pics I take now are with the camera I carry at all times. But bringing the Olympus on our upcoming trip.