View Poll Results: What did your digital camera cost & do you use a video camera to take pics?
Under $100 (choose one option) 2 5.26%
$100 - $200 7 18.42%
$200 - $500 8 21.05%
$500 or more 23 60.53%
Standard digital camera to take photos (choose one option) 21 55.26%
Video digital camera to take photos 7 18.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Take a look at the Panasonic GH-1 and GF-1. This micro 4/3 format is the future of digital cameras and has a good chance of out selling full size DSLR's. The mirror box and prism is eliminated and replace with EVF ( electronic viewfinder) The cameras are smaller than a standard SLR and larger than a P&S. Panasonic has introduce a nice set of zooms, 7-14mm, 14-45mm, 45-200.All small and with IS in the lens. Also a nice fast 20mm F1.7 Prime with more lenses slated for 2010. I shoot with a Leica MP film camera and lenses and this is the first digital that has really got me excited. I wouldn't mind a Leica M9 digital body but at $7,000.00 it's just not in the budget and at the speed that camera companies offer new models, not a good investment. Panasonic also offer an adapter that will allow me to use my Leica glass and make adapters for Nikon and Canon lenses. Most full size DSLR's and lenses are just to plasticy,large, bulky and ugly to carry all day especially hiking. Olympus is another company with offerings in this format and Nikon, Canon and others are said to be working on micro 4/3 systems.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Three Cameras

Well I have three digital cameras. The one I use depends on the situation. I have a Nikon D40 when I want to take the best picture I can, or need to use 200mm telephoto and don't mind the larger size and weight. I use the camera that the D40 was supposed to be a replacement for, a Canon S2 IS, for most of my pictures of rebuild of our 67 Tradewind and previous to that a restore of an FJ40. We also have a Canon SD600 Digital Elph. My wife carries this camera in her purse most of the time or I carry it on my belt in a leather carry case. All of our cameras have probably been replaced more newer models with more megapixels. Which camera gets the most use? The SD600 as it is small enough to carry at all times, takes very nice pictures and video (we rarely take video) and is easy to use.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I love the SD series from Cannon. Mine is an older one, SD 750, but I still love it. Lips into a pocket for hikes and biking. Takes great pictures with excellent color. IMO, Cannon has the best picture quality. I have a Nikon SRL digital, but I find myself using the little Cannon 90% of the time. The newer ones are around $150 for the 10 megapix. JR.com is a good place to look at all of them. The best camera is the one you have with you when you need it.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #32
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryw164 View Post

BTW, what does the "o.p." stand for? I guess I'm not up on all the forum lingo yet
Mary
"o.p."= "original poster".
Old 01-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
I love the SD series from Cannon. Mine is an older one, SD 750, but I still love it. Lips into a pocket for hikes and biking. Takes great pictures with excellent color. IMO, Cannon has the best picture quality. I have a Nikon SRL digital, but I find myself using the little Cannon 90% of the time. The newer ones are around $150 for the 10 megapix. JR.com is a good place to look at all of them. The best camera is the one you have with you when you need it.
Yep, same here, our SD600 is used for at least 90% of all pictures we take. If I could only keep one, I'd keep the SD600.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
I got a Nikon D80 for my Birthday two years ago, been happy as a lark with it! Takes gorgeous pics! Super easy to use, plays slideshows on your TV set to music, great to tape those and store for Home Movies!

Love love love my Nikon!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
I have a Nikon D80 and enjoy using it.

However, there are times when you just want to pull something out and take a picture quickly but want something better than a cell phone.

I've been considering the Canon PowerShot SX200IS as a grab and shoot camera.

With the 12x optical zoom, it should cover most of the shooting situations.

The only thing I would prefer is if it used AA batteries instead.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Nikon D40 with 18-200 mm lens.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, The picture on the left was taken with my Canon A-1000 pocket camera; And the picture on the right was taken with my wife's Canon digital SLR. Better color on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1208 (Large).JPG
Views:	72
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	93633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lee's 2009 Photos 344 (Large).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	93634  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Olsburg , Kansas
Thumbs up Smaller camera and ease of use

Robert S., you are right with color. A person can change the color parameters with a program like free download of Gimp, or buy Adobe full blown program or cheaper programs. Many programs out there to adjust the color, etc. Most people want point and shoot for quickness and remembering places, people and things right. I was trained using the old Nikons, etc. film cameras and dark room but I like the newer digital and yes, the very small cameras and their ease of use.

I bought my wife a Samsung L210/ 10.2 megapixel point and shoot a couple of years ago and she loves it. It is 3/4 inch think, 2.25 x 3.5 inches and fits in a small location for convience. Yes it has a menu like all other digital and takes some getting use to she says. Once most options are set, usage is great. If she has a photo that she likes and wants to improve on color, etc. I use one of the photo programs to enhance the photo.

As has been said, that is my two cents worth! Have a great day!

R
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #39
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydecrashcu View Post
Robert S., you are right with color. A person can change the color parameters with a program like free download of Gimp, or buy Adobe full blown program or cheaper programs. Many programs out there to adjust the color, etc. Most people want point and shoot for quickness and remembering places, people and things right. I was trained using the old Nikons, etc. film cameras and dark room but I like the newer digital and yes, the very small cameras and their ease of use.

I bought my wife a Samsung L210/ 10.2 megapixel point and shoot a couple of years ago and she loves it. It is 3/4 inch think, 2.25 x 3.5 inches and fits in a small location for convience. Yes it has a menu like all other digital and takes some getting use to she says. Once most options are set, usage is great. If she has a photo that she likes and wants to improve on color, etc. I use one of the photo programs to enhance the photo.

As has been said, that is my two cents worth! Have a great day!

R
Thanks for that info, it's a strong point for using a basic point & shoot, then using software to improve the image if necessary. That's pretty much what I was looking for....simple.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

http://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #40
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Mary, I've read the entire thread. I was a Navy photographer and received my formal training in photography there. Like Rodney (GenDisarray) I've been a commercial photographer off and on all my adult life; some forty years now. I'm retiring from my current vocation, and I'm reopening my studio business as I write.

In the film days, I shot just about every brand at one time or another. At the end, I was shooting Leica, Canon EOS, and Hasselblad because they were the best at meeting my needs. I sold all my film gear ten years ago before the big switch over. Three years ago I began re-acquiring pro gear with the intent of doing commercial work after I retired. I now have all Olympus pro equipment this time around.

I originally bought Olympus E1s (pro DSLR) because they're bullet-proof and for me their 'feel' and control layout is just as though I'd told them how to build it. They were 5mp cameras and I just sold my last one a couple of months ago. I didn't upgrade to the E3 (the current 10mp pro body) until last year because the E1 remained very competent for my needs. I only upgraded because the E1 would soon lose it's value on the used market, there was enough file size difference between a 5mp and 10mp body that I could see the value, and the E3 has in-body image stabilization, a feature I find more and more important. Were it not for those three things, I'd still be shooting the E1s. The manufacturer's hype on silly features is wasted on me.

I have found, over that forty years, that the recommendations of others and the magazine reviews all carry the weight of a used car salesman's solemn word. I also find that the camera companies' advertising hype is mostly smoke and mirrors.

User reviews of problems are useful because they can begin to give a fairly accurate picture of how well the equipment is made; but past that everything that's written is really REALLY subjective. But, reviews can give you some good indication of things like weight, size, and fit and finish, and if you read enough of them on a new product you'll begin to see if some new feature set may or may not be worthwhile to you.

Like every other product made, each brand has a shining star or two and they all have horrible clunkers that are really good as paperweights, but not so wonderful as cameras.

I hate Nikon. I will not shoot with Nikon. Why? Because the ergonometrics and control layout don't fit me. I can't find any of the controls, and they all work in the "wrong" direction. That's VERY subjective based on my experience. The equipment works fine. It just doesn't work the way I expect it to, and Nikon never has. But I didn't grow up on Nikon either. And that doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with Nikon. It's actually very competent equipment. It just doesn't fit me or my shooting style.

Canon is generally Ok. I found I like Olympus DSLRs because they're relatively light weight, cost 1/3 to 1/2 of the competition's pro lines, and their lens glass is on par or better with Canikon. More importantly, the bodies fit in my hands, and the controls are intuitive and easy to use. For me.

I also have a couple of point and shoots and other types of cameras. I have a Canon G5 (the 5mp incarnation from several years ago). It takes wonderful pictures, but has the feel of a block of wood, and the control set of an alien space ship. It doesn't get used much, but if I'm going somewhere that a camera might get trashed, it's my choice.

Storage media is also of concern. If you have a fistful of a specific type of card like SD or CF, then there's no point in buying something that takes another type altogether.

Megapixels are a meaningless indicator of camera performance. While I've been saying that for years, Canon finally stopped playing the MP race and is now beginning to concentrate on improving sensor performance in going from the G10 (14.7mp) to the G11 (10mp with reduced noise at higher ISOs).

The bottom line is that all cameras from all the brands in a particular price range will have competitive features and all will take passable snapshots. The real issue (as you've already found out) is that if the camera doesn't fit your hands, your shoulder bag, or you can't figure out the controls, you may as well not have it. If it fits you though, you'll take it and use it.

So... my best advise is to go out and pick up the equipment of the size and weight you're interested in. Handle the camera. Look at the feature set. Do you want something that's more shock resistant or that has a longer zoom? I personally find image stabilization to be very important as I'm getting older. Look at the dials and buttons. Are they easy to find, operate and understand for you? Are the menus easy to navigate for you?

It'll take a little time to find 'just' the right one, but after you've looked for a while and understand the feature sets, when you do find the right camera, you'll know immediately.

Good luck!

Roger
Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Roger's key point

In my job I have to deal with many people and ergonomic issues. Roger's point about his brand preferences being based on how the design fits his hands and needs is the most critical. Just about every manufacturer builds a range of decent products these days,especially for those of us who are casual "snap" shooters. I personally disagree with his "No Nikon" feeling, but that is the subjective part and one reason why there are so many different styles of cameras.

I suggest you spend some extended time with a camera that feels good, perhaps a friend's unit that you can borrow, so you can get a feel for power and zoom buttons, shutter location, how easy it is to hold, etc and base your decision on that. Unless you bottom feed and buy the cheapest model or an unknown brand you will probably get good quality photos. My shooting style pushes me strongly toward some type of vibration reduction and that is my feature recommendation.

Tags
camera, digital, film, photography