View Poll Results: What did your digital camera cost & do you use a video camera to take pics?
Under $100 (choose one option) 2 5.26%
$100 - $200 7 18.42%
$200 - $500 8 21.05%
$500 or more 23 60.53%
Standard digital camera to take photos (choose one option) 21 55.26%
Video digital camera to take photos 7 18.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
If you still have the Nikon lenses around, I would think about going to KEH.com and buying a used Nikon D50. They have a super sensor, and you can easily select among the various programs (landscape, portrait, ect) all of which give excellent results. another advantage is that if you do want the flexibility of other lenses, any Nikon lens will work.

Even though I bought another camera 2 years ago, my D50 still goes with me everywhere and for many situations is my camera of choice. I got one for my mom a couple weeks ago. She is camera naive and loves hers. You cannot buy these new as they were taken off the market some years ago.

Some other things to look for: the delay between pushing the shutter button and firing. Many of the P&S cameras have a delay that makes taking pictures a pain. Also, how fast does the camera cycle between images. And do not forget that optical zoom and electronic zoom are not the same.

By the way, if you see prices too good to be true from New York (Brooklyn esp) they are. Think Nigerian without the same depth of business ethics. BE VERY CAREFUL BUYING CAMERAS FROM COMPANIES YOU DO NOT KNOW! Happy hunting and good shooting

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I recently went through an exhaustive search for a new camera after the CCD went out in my old Canon S2IS. After a great deal of searching, I ended up going with a Canon SX10 IS through the canon loyalty program, where you can turn in your broken camera for a refurb model. It turned out to be a pretty good deal and I am very happy with the new camera because it features a 20x zoom, which I really wanted for wildlife shots. Seems like it covers the bases for both a point-n-shoot, and it has some more detailed adjustments, without having to swap lenses.

I have a friend who does some really neat stuff with a Canon SX110, which is more of a pocket size camera. And another friend who has a very fancy camera but relies on her little pocket size (incredibly small actually) Nikon Coolpix.

There really are a lot of great choices depending on how you plan to use it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
My last digital camera was the Canon G2. it recently froze up on me after many years of abuse and excellent photos with a mere 4 megapixel! I am going to go after the G10 or 11 when I go camera shopping. Right now I am using my iPhone camera, which is not going to work for the resto of my AS...

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
If you still have the Nikon lenses around, I would think about going to KEH.com and buying a used Nikon D50.
Try the lenses (all of them) with the digital body though. I went through this with my Nikkors, and only two fit well. One hit the back of the body, (and I didn't stick around to find out why)
Old 01-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #19
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Try the lenses (all of them) with the digital body though. I went through this with my Nikkors, and only two fit well. One hit the back of the body, (and I didn't stick around to find out why)
Strange, mine worked flawlessly. Go figure, good cautionary note.

and the
My Blog

Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #20
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Quote:
Strange, mine worked flawlessly. Go figure, good cautionary note.
Your photos on your posted website look awesome!!! So you used your D50 to take those, right?

I'll have to look into those. Do you know if there is a newer version of the D50 available at retail?

Thanks, Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

http://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #21
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
That's really great advice. I'll check out our existing lenses when considering a new camera.

Thanks, Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 01-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #22
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryw164 View Post
Your photos on your posted website look awesome!!! So you used your D50 to take those, right?

I'll have to look into those. Do you know if there is a newer version of the D50 available at retail?

Thanks, Mary
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. Yes, many of those were taken with the D50. Nikon has a model that is supposed to be the equivalent of the D50, but I really recommend buying a D50 from KEH. It is a superior product. You can get one in new condition from them for about $300.

and the
My Blog

Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #23
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Quote:
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. Yes, many of those were taken with the D50. Nikon has a model that is supposed to be the equivalent of the D50, but I really recommend buying a D50 from KEH. It is a superior product. You can get one in new condition from them for about $300.
Does the D50 have image stabilization? Also does it have auto-focus? I'll check out KEH.

Update: Just checked them out, they don't seem to have the D50 listed.

Thanks, Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
I want to say that image stabilization is in the lens, at least for Nikon. So it would depend on the lens you are using. The D50 does have auto focus. Keep an eye on the KEH site, D50s remain popular even though they have been off the market for several years now so people in the know snap them up.

On edit: just checked, they do have D50s in stock apparently Nikon Digital D 50 6.1 MEGAPIXEL WITH BATTERY & CHARGER (SD CARD ) DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA - KEH.com

and the
My Blog

Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #25
_

. , .
the d50/d40 is/was a direct competitor with the rebel xt/xti...

small digi slr with bayonet lens.

basically what u already had and decided to sell.

the d50 will accept OLDER nikkor lens while the d40 doesn't.

in all other ways the d40 is now a better package/body than a d50, while price makes the d50 a good buy in discontinued gear.

digital 'shutter lag' has largely vanished on newer p/s cameras.

except for firing several shots in series, ALL of the recent p/s fire as fast as a d50 and typically have larger brighter lcds.

regardless the d50/d40 is a BODY only, so you'll be carrying lens again.

while separate lens are important for LONG telephoto shooting and sporting events and complex macro work or massive enlargements...

remind yourself of your goals this time around.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #26
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
in all other ways the d40 is now a better package/body than a d50, while price makes the d50 a good buy in discontinued gear.

cheers
2air'
In my opinion, and that of many Nikon users, the D50 is a superior product to the D40 despite the fact that the D40 was the replacement for the D50 in that line.

and the
My Blog

Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #27
_

. , .
opinions vary, like other things.

i sold the d50 and moved on to better things.

and again the PRIMARY difference is that a d50 has a mechanical auto focus that is compatible with more OLDER lens.

same sensor, same metering, better processing, small lighter body, faster AND accepts LARGER than 2 gb SD cards...

all my cards are 4-16 gb now except for a few dusty old, slow cards, that are carried as disaster back ups.

YES they made the d40 simpler and more friendly to basic users...

which IS the target for that model.

here's a snip of a review...

"Nikon's choice of "compromises" with the D40 are switching to a new three area AF sensor (although it seems to be just as fast), removing some of the flexibility (you can't change the CW average area, exposure steps are fixed at 1/3 EV and there's no bracketing) and removing the status LCD (although this has more to do with making the camera smaller than saving money). What the D40 shares with the D50 are some of the important things, the six megapixel sensor, the 420 pixel metering sensor (also used on the D80), the more 'consumer like' default IIIa color mode and 2.5 frames per second continuous shooting (although now unlimited in JPEG mode).

On the plus side you get ISO 3200 equiv. (HI 1), the ever useful customizable Auto ISO, a larger viewfinder view, shorter shutter lag and viewfinder blackout, a larger LCD monitor, a considerably nicer user interface, SDHC support, a new image processing engine, unlimited JPEG continuous shooting, in-camera retouching (including D-Lighting) and of course a smaller and lighter body. It would not therefore be fair to describe the D40 as a 'dumbed down' D50, far from it, the range of improvements and new features out-weigh those which have been removed or reduce, which would most likely not be missed by the average D40 owner.
"

regardless this is a BODY and SEPARATE LENS combo and a direct competitor to the camera the o.p. JUST ditched...

it's not a competition HERE, rather an attempt to ferret out what is best for the needs of the o.p.

ymmv

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #28
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
the d50/d40 is/was a direct competitor with the rebel xt/xti...

small digi slr with bayonet lens.

basically what u already had and decided to sell.

the d50 will accept OLDER nikkor lens while the d40 doesn't.

digital 'shutter lag' has largely vanished on newer p/s cameras.

except for firing several shots in series, ALL of the recent p/s fire as fast as a d50 and typically have larger brighter lcds.

regardless the d50/d40 is a BODY only, so you'll be carrying lens again.

while separate lens are important for LONG telephoto shooting and sporting events and complex macro work or massive enlargements...

remind yourself of your goals this time around.

cheers
2air'
Thanks, that's a good point to keep in my priorities. I don't want to have to change lenses. My goal is to simplify things, but get a camera with the best bang for my buck. It's too bad though, the D50 looks like it takes great pics.

BTW, what does the "o.p." stand for? I guess I'm not up on all the forum lingo yet

Your comments are very insightful.

Mary

Forums member #29232

Tags
camera, digital, film, photography