Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Photography
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2017, 02:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have a Celestron Nexstar 8" SC that I have been wanting to take out and have never done it. So far all our camping has been in state parks or RV parks. I'd like to do some OTG camping where we can have darker skies.

We have reservations in KY for an eclipse rally and I will be taking it, hoping there are some good sites for nightime viewing. I have a camera to go with it, so hopefully I can get a proper filter and get some good video. I haven't looked into the camera FOV issue yet.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:13 AM   #22

Norman , Oklahoma
Nice pictures.
BryanVides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:00 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I am a newbie to astromomy and would be interested in getting together with other camper/peepers in the 4 corners/ southwest. I have a garage sale Telestar 4" reflector.

I also have 40 acres outside of Estancia NM with pretty dark skies and would welcome visitors.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
From time to time I will travel with my Nextstar 5. It is a fun telescope. You can see it next to the SUV in one of the pics. The other is a short exposure of the Andromeda galaxy. the camera was a little heavy for the small 'scope! Both taken in Bend last summer just before I bought a house down here.

At home I have a 4"APO and a 10" LX200. Going to hopefully build an observatory this summer now I live under dark skies

The best telescope is like the best camera. One you will actually use. If it is too complex or heavy then you may not use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02611.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	281089   Click image for larger version

Name:	OW7A4930.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	281090  

Old 03-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
I am interested in a telescope for astrophotography.
That's a rabbit hole. There are web cams being used with eyepiece adaptors all the way to full-blown liquid cooled cameras. My friend has 5 acres in a small astronomy community, so there's no lights on good viewing days.
My eyes got so dark adapted that we thought we had left a light on in the house, and it turned out to be the light given off by the pilot light of the stove! He's gone full blown 18" F2.8 computer controlled with a SBIG camera and filter wheel. Stacking images, and software subtracts noise. There's no eyepiece, strictly imaging. Too difficult, IMO. (still way ahead of film)

The roof is on a track and one person can roll it off.
The scope he uses most is a 20" Dobsonian.
If I was to do it (I sold my 8" Meade) I'd get a 12" Dob. No stepladder needed, fun and simple.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
I'm also in the market for a heavy duty tri-pod with multiple axis tiltible mount.
Heavy duty is good. It's amazing how much shake can be induced in a average tripod. (Look into Losmandy) But I'm not sure about multiple axis tilt. Astronomy tripods are designed to be aligned equatorially. (Aimed at the north star). That way, stars and planets move in one plane only. Motorized tripods will track objects. (called right assension, the other axis is declination, and it's adjustable, but not much.)We actually aligned one guy's scope using GPS. I was amazed that walking 10' made a 1 second change in the readout. It's a long process and when you've got it, you don't move it.
It's amazing how often an airplane flies through your attempt at an image. or satellite or shooting star. The airplane you can just hold a black card over the front.

Now, I enjoy sitting in a lawn chair with a good set of binoculars. (mine are 10 x 70's).
Old 03-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The neighbors.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Wow! I wish I had a dome like that. Mine will be a shed with a roll off roof

If I am a good boy I will get to use the wife's DSLR at night!
Old 03-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
Wow! I wish I had a dome like that. Mine will be a shed with a roll off roof
The dome was built because the owner made a 36" dobsonian he called the "Yard Scope". He built scopes for a while, Tectron, and still made collimating tools in that workshop. However, a 36" scope needs PERFECT viewing skies or it looks soft, and you had to climb a 16' stepladder to look in the eyepiece. All in all, not worth it.
My friend built the roll off roof shed too. It's very functional. It rolls on 8 steel wheels. He uses "load binders" to clamp the roof shut in bad weather. Otherwise the county zoning frowns on removable roofs. "Son, here we try to keep the roof on."
Old 04-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
1978 31' Sovereign
2000 31' Land Yacht
Tampa , Florida
We are heading from Florida to Missouri to be in the path of the totality. Very excited, hoping for clear skies!!
candyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Donnelly Idaho
Old 04-20-2017, 05:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Beautiful pictures.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
My dad pointed out what looked like moving stars, with no flashing lights for airplanes. He told us that these were satellites, with the sun reflecting on them. Is this true?
Yes, you can see them often. Spy satellites travel in a N/S plane so as the Earth rotates they can cover all the planet. They're also lower orbits. There's web sites that will tell you when the Space Station will pass overhead. It's cool to watch, we wave.