Originally Posted by AussieGirl
Prairie, you're welcome to the heater but its pretty old and rusty and a bit dented and out of shape after how difficult it was to get out. Didn't even think of it being of any use to anyone haha.
I also removed the built in draws at the from (between the bathroom and bed) if you have any interest in those. I'm in the Bay Area for the next few weeks.
Luckily, I did keep the board as a mold for cutting a new wall for the empty space!
Aaaand I just finished ripping up the linoleum floor (using a scraper, heat gun and carpet knife).. it turns out under the linoleum is.. more linoleum. The same type. A little anti climatic! Seems someone did a restoration at some point.
I decided to leave the U shape seating and the bed area in place rather than take them out to do the floor under them because the dinette set up plan to have done (or do myself) will be larger than whats here right now anyway and also it's a bit on a mess under there with all the new tanks and lines. Cheating a little I suppose.
I would be happy with just the Valve, Burner and hopefully the Knob to use as spare parts some day. If you can get them off I would be very happy to pay for shipping or if I knew where you are I may have another idea.
As far as the flooring I am doing something very similar. After removing the Linoleum the plywood was entirely treated with epoxy before laying Vinyl Squares under the furniture leaving the plywood exposed in the rest of the area. I am now building that last piece of furniture, the one that you are dealing with. Once that is completed I will be laying Floating Vinyl Plank Flooring that I purchased at Lumber Liquidators.
The thought here is that it will easy to replace later after we and the dogs have had our way with it, or in case there is a water leak making any repairs much easier.
I found making the Side panels was fairly easy. I use a solid core door as a work bench and the side without hinges is a great straight edge. I clamped the 1/4" Oak Veneered Plywood (get this from a good lumber yard, I found the stuff from the local warehouse chains to be poor quality) to my work bench. Next I was able to run a router and 45 degree bit with a bearing guide down the side that will mate to the front piece. Now I was able to use the existing portion as a template by sitting it on top of the new part (you may need to patiently remove some boards from the inside) and mark it. Next I was able to cut it out with a Jig Saw and do a little final shaping by hand with a Sanding Block.
The Gluing was fairly easy in place by sliding a piece of Plastic Sheeting under the area to help with cleanup. That side panel was then installed using Brass Brads and Glue just as originally done by Airstream. This allowed for minor adjustments while installing and gluing the panel and the brads almost disappear (again that is how mine was originally built).
These picture are from the closet but since they are very similar it should give you the idea.