Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 1956 - 1959 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Great progress. More pics when available, looked very clean from the video.
Shaggy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
cool to find a video like that!
lisaslists20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The fridge selection is usually pretty thin. The popular manufacturers are Dometic and Norcold, and when you need to fit in a specific space, there are usually only a couple of choices. On the topic of 3 way vs 2 way, I suppose that if the price isn't considerably different, then go ahead and get the 3 way.

The original fridge (at least the one in the video) does look pretty cool. Maybe it just wasn't working anymore--it happens after 50 years or so. Some of the early fridges were propane only--maybe that was the case with that one.

On the topic of adding 12V wiring, the challenge will be to do it without pulling walls apart, and without having wiring visibly and obnoxiously attached to the inside of the walls.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
take a look at this add;
1958 Marvel Refrigerator Electric

this looks like the one that used to be there. Problem with these units is that they were Shore Power Electric only. Looks like the add is still active.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everwhere , Traveling
Thanks Steve they're prettier than anything you see around these days but I'm pretty sold on having a 3 way now so I think I'll be ordering the Dometic Americana one in black once I get the go ahead from my restoration man. I guess I'll have to get creative with paint or contact paper or something try to try to give it a cute retro look to go with my yellow Princess stove.

The guy who posted the video was kind enough to email me back and agreed it could likely be the same one but we did some detective work comparing pictures and the tags (of course, why didn't we just look at those first?!) confirmed that it wasn't the same one. The matching things like the sink and wall heater were standard original pieces on a 58 flying cloud. Sacramento was just a coincidence. I guess but a little too excited I suppose but he was very helpful!

Lisa, getting the 12v electric hooked back up (along side the 110v) looks like it will be another 1 full days labor added into the cost, plus parts which shouldn't be too much.
I looked into the idea of getting all the wiring set up for future solar panels and AC unit at the same time (while they're in there right? makes sense) but that would be an additional 1 or 2 days labor and it's just not in the budget right now.

So looking positive that it shouldn't be too much over a month until I get this baby back to me! Waiting on tanks is the main thing. Thankfully, I have a bit of international travel lined up to keep me busy until mid September, because I'm really not all that good at patience when I get excited about something
AussieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everwhere , Traveling
Maybe something like this but a little more toned down

A Simple Way to Change the Face of Your Refrigerator | My Halal Kitchen | Inspiration for Wholesome Living | with Yvonne Maffei
Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
Let me know if i can help with anything, i have gutting mine twice!
albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everwhere , Traveling
Steve, what can you tell my looking at my tag?
It's a bit beat up but I read "8235". Does that address mean it's California built like yours?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Refer's

AussieGirl

try Adventure RV for the refrigerator.

they had the best prices a couple months ago when I bought mine.

Mark in Grants Pass
Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Not sure but if you post a pic of the Wheel Well Openings it would be obvious! California built had a Teardrop Shape.
Best part about that video is that I was able to see just how original my Traveler really is!
PS if I didn't have the original Krefft Refrigerator I would follow your course!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Sorry didn't look close enough the first time, Norwalk, CA is a California built from what I know. That could really be a good thing.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everwhere , Traveling
I'm back! actually, my Airstream is back (from the restoration place).. so three months later update:

new battery, all new tanks, new fridge and wiring for that, carpet up, some minor fix ups on the body and added locks for security a few other things..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5195.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	224520   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5205.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	224521  

Name:	IMG_5206.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	224522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5207.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	224523  

Old 10-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everwhere , Traveling
But then as I start to get take things down and get ready for some decorating (cabinet painting, ripping up and replacing the laminate floors, curtains... eventually replacing the counter top, bed area and dinette, upholstery etc etc)..
I decide there is no way I want this old furnace on the wall and it (along with those built in draws in the front) must go immediately!

Well, I created quite a mess. There seems to be only one line attached to the propane from the tanks which goes to the furnace and the stove, and the fridge too?
So I can't access it. Hopefully some people on here will know what to do next
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0774.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	224524   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0772.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	224525  

Name:	DSCN0773.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	224526  
Old 10-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Looks like that side panel will now need to be replaced. It is much easier if you have all of the pieces to use as a template so DO NOT throw any pieces away. I just made a new closet & that I felt was easier to build in place, so I cut the new pieces by laying the old pieces on top to mark so that they could be shaped with a router, cut and trimmed.
There should be a Copper Tube that comes through the floor in that area. On my '58 Traveler it then splits into 2 lines and the one with the Petcock (shut off valve) goes to the Heater that you have removed. You should be able to get a "Flared Cap" at a hardware store and simply cap that with it. I would rather replace the "T" Fitting although that would be more difficult.
If you do not have a need for the pieces I would be willing to take them off your hands, I could always use spares!
Old 10-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everwhere , Traveling
Prairie, you're welcome to the heater but its pretty old and rusty and a bit dented and out of shape after how difficult it was to get out. Didn't even think of it being of any use to anyone haha.
I also removed the built in draws at the from (between the bathroom and bed) if you have any interest in those. I'm in the Bay Area for the next few weeks.

Luckily, I did keep the board as a mold for cutting a new wall for the empty space!

I figured out the pipe situation too, it was exposed under the belly so I went under and remove the line from the gas line and am capping it today.

Aaaand I just finished ripping up the linoleum floor (using a scraper, heat gun and carpet knife).. it turns out under the linoleum is.. more linoleum. The same type. A little anti climatic! Seems someone did a restoration at some point.
I tried ripping down to the subfloor in some spot but as you can see below it was a mistake and damaging the subfloor too much so I've decided to leave the original linoleum floor down under my floating floor (Allure gripstrip vinyl planks).
I decided to leave the U shape seating and the bed area in place rather than take them out to do the floor under them because the dinette set up plan to have done (or do myself) will be larger than whats here right now anyway and also it's a bit on a mess under there with all the new tanks and lines. Cheating a little I suppose.

So I'm off to home depot to find out how to clean up the floor (so sticky right now) and get it prepped (including woodfill and a bit of linoleum for the experimental patch by the door), after that it's already cabinet painting prep time! Going much better than expected! Maybe I'll even attempt polishing it myself at this rate!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5772.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	224618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5783.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	224619  

Name:	IMG_5752.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	224620   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5836.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	224621  

Old 10-19-2014, 07:16 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Looking like your making some serious progress, hopefully this won't turn into a full restoration. LOL
Shaggy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You're getting after it! Glad to hear you finally got your trailer back from the repair place.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGirl View Post
Prairie, you're welcome to the heater but its pretty old and rusty and a bit dented and out of shape after how difficult it was to get out. Didn't even think of it being of any use to anyone haha.
I also removed the built in draws at the from (between the bathroom and bed) if you have any interest in those. I'm in the Bay Area for the next few weeks.

Luckily, I did keep the board as a mold for cutting a new wall for the empty space!

Aaaand I just finished ripping up the linoleum floor (using a scraper, heat gun and carpet knife).. it turns out under the linoleum is.. more linoleum. The same type. A little anti climatic! Seems someone did a restoration at some point.

I decided to leave the U shape seating and the bed area in place rather than take them out to do the floor under them because the dinette set up plan to have done (or do myself) will be larger than whats here right now anyway and also it's a bit on a mess under there with all the new tanks and lines. Cheating a little I suppose.
I would be happy with just the Valve, Burner and hopefully the Knob to use as spare parts some day. If you can get them off I would be very happy to pay for shipping or if I knew where you are I may have another idea.

As far as the flooring I am doing something very similar. After removing the Linoleum the plywood was entirely treated with epoxy before laying Vinyl Squares under the furniture leaving the plywood exposed in the rest of the area. I am now building that last piece of furniture, the one that you are dealing with. Once that is completed I will be laying Floating Vinyl Plank Flooring that I purchased at Lumber Liquidators.
The thought here is that it will easy to replace later after we and the dogs have had our way with it, or in case there is a water leak making any repairs much easier.
Not Cheating!

I found making the Side panels was fairly easy. I use a solid core door as a work bench and the side without hinges is a great straight edge. I clamped the 1/4" Oak Veneered Plywood (get this from a good lumber yard, I found the stuff from the local warehouse chains to be poor quality) to my work bench. Next I was able to run a router and 45 degree bit with a bearing guide down the side that will mate to the front piece. Now I was able to use the existing portion as a template by sitting it on top of the new part (you may need to patiently remove some boards from the inside) and mark it. Next I was able to cut it out with a Jig Saw and do a little final shaping by hand with a Sanding Block.
The Gluing was fairly easy in place by sliding a piece of Plastic Sheeting under the area to help with cleanup. That side panel was then installed using Brass Brads and Glue just as originally done by Airstream. This allowed for minor adjustments while installing and gluing the panel and the brads almost disappear (again that is how mine was originally built).
These picture are from the closet but since they are very similar it should give you the idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7066.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	224665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7067.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	224666  

Name:	IMG_7076.JPG