Old 07-22-2014, 01:52 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Thanks B! Best explanation yet. I feel confident in that I do need all of the above hooked up.

I'm curious how they will go about it as looking at old flying cloud floor plans it seems absolutely everything has been reconfigured in the layout. Waiting to hear back from my guy as they planned to start today.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
It could be relatively easy, as the black tank could go immediately below the toilet, or under the floor below the toilet, the fresh water tank can go above the floor and inside some cabinetry--you just need it relatively close to the original freshwater fill port, and the grey tanks can go under the floor in an empty bay.

One thing to be wary of, is that if your tech uses off-the-shelf black and grey water tanks, you will likely end up with tanks that hang down below your bellypan. Vintage Trailer Supply sells a very shallow tank that was intended to be used as grey water tanks in these vintage trailers. It isn't a huge deal if your tanks are visible under the trailer, some people want to maintain the "stock" appearance of a vintage trailer, and others don't want to lose any clearance. Just something to consider.

good luck

Old 07-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Replacing water tanks, holding tanks & battery?

Interesting. He didn't mention the option of them hanging, he said they'd need to take off some of the belly and look to see where they can fit, so hopefully they manage to fit them inside.
I will know more once they check in and tell me how it looked.
Of course, I'm super eager to get started and wish they were a bit quicker/easier to communicate with! >.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Great help so far and good thing that you are getting such great advice! Best if you check with the forum before spending any of your hard earned$$$! or worse yet make a bad decision and screw up a great trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
If the dimensions are right (I'll have to re check the, have them written down) is this the type of refrigerator that would work in my AS?
Dometic RM2510.2R Freedom Refrigerator - Dometic RM2510.2R - Compact Refrigerators - Camping World

He checked electric finally and it "all works and is good to go!" haha, had to verify.. that meant it was all wired for 110v which is consistent with the camp ground only plumbing.

So the priority now is on getting the tanks in (these can be up to a month to arrive disappointing but I said go ahead) and getting a battery in and wiring set up to work on 12v as well. Not sure yet how big of a job that is but I'm a bit worried.. any ideas?

I don't really see the point to have all the tanks done for unplugged camping if I'm going to have no battery power with it.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Actually this one fits better in the space I think & comes in a 3 way option too..
Dometic Americana RM2551 2-Way Refrigerator, Single Door, 5.0 Cu. Ft. - Dometic RM2551RB - Top-Freezer Refrigerators - Camping World

Those seem to be the only options I found though (maximum height 44 inches and width 24 inches)
Old 07-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
Well, big congratulations on your new baby. I am still in the research/looking phase. :-) I would love to know the cost of this work being done so i can better choose my AS. If you don't want to post it here, could you maybe pm me? Oh, also, I loved the big pictures.
Lisa
Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Hi Lisa, thanks so much, I like it too

I really wish I could help you more on restoration costs but it seems to vary a lot and everyone quotes on "labor time + materials" (labor from the two places I have contacted is between $104-$112 per hour for two people working) and they aren't very comfy throwing out rough estimates of time either.. so it's a bit scary.

I'm expecting installation on the tanks to be three full days labor (it involves taking off the belly pan and taking up the floor in some spots to figure out where they fit) and the electrical work I'm still waiting to hear about so I'm not sure.
I would love to hear from some other members if these estimates sound about right or not!

My list right now looks like: ripping up carpet, ordering and installing new rv refrigerator (building it into the cabinet/raising it), minor fix to the aluminum by the wheel, installing new chains and replacing the jack (it fell off!!), ordering and installing all three tanks and battery and setting up the electrical (lights+fridge) to work on 12v (currently only has 110v).
I will let you know when I know more but I'm hoping to get out for under $5k not including the fridge cost.

Definitely do your research on repair costs before you buy and factor that into the listing price! I actually brought a restoration person with me to check out the trailer before buying and he said it was in great condition and pretty much ready to go.. I knew already about the battery and tanks missing but was only told the price to buy the actual tanks, didn't realize all the work (money) involved in installing them or know anything about the 12v issue of course I *could* just leave it as is and only use it at campgrounds (plugged in, as the PO had intended) but it seemed a bit of a waste & like it would be even more trouble to do later down the road when I wanted it all hooked up.

Still I think (hope?) I got a good deal on it, just wish I could use it sooner.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Some progress photos, not all that pretty..

Carpet is up

The place where the new fridge will go (I want to raise it and but a cabinet where the wheel is)
Old 07-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
AG,

As for the refrigerators, the three way fridges are all good fun if you have solar and/or a lot of battery capacity to keep the thing running. If you don't intend to go way heavy on the battery capacity, then I would recommend the gas/110v one and call it good.

Don't despair on your trailer--it looks really great, and I am completely envious of your stainless shower stall and 13 panel 50's era endcaps! When I bought my trailer, I hyper educated myself on the pros and cons of most eras, and many models, and kicked so many tires that my toes got numb. After two years of looking, I was so weary of the experience that I drove 600 miles for the trailer that I thought would be "the one," and ended up buying a unit with rotting floors, rear-end separation, and some skin damage. I have spent the last three years doing a complete rebuild... I think you are way ahead! You will be camping before I will, and I have three years head start!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Well I think I would like to get into solar panels later down the road (phase 2 or 3) but for now maybe a 2 way is the best route. Is it worth getting a 3 way with this in mind or will it automatically train the battery instead of using the propane?
I looked at camping world (online) and a few other sites and really those two were the only options that fit in the space. Did I miss a big range or is the selection usually that small?

I'd love to see pictures/updates of yours B! Where can I find them?
The shower was a big plus for me too (not so much a fan of the sink in there or the aluminum anywhere else though).. I don't have the 50's model 13 panels though, I'm actually one year too late for that. I'm sure I'd have had to pay more if I did.

This is what you mean right??
Old 07-26-2014, 12:48 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Great progress. More pics when available, looked very clean from the video.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:21 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
cool to find a video like that!