Old 07-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Belegedhel, yep the fridge situation isn't ideal. The reason it's sitting in all that space like that is because it's next to the wheel, sitting on the floor. So I already asked the guy about building a self/cupboard below to hide that and raise the fridge and then framing it in on the side/above (storage space?) I imagine this was one of the PO's unfinished projects.

While I was hoping to replace this one (just not into the look, might not be the right dimensions either) I didn't know about the different types of refrigerators. I will ask him to check how if it's still set as well.

Where could I look for an RV style one that might fit the dimensions of that space?

Old 07-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Replacement RV style fridges are available to order from various online sources. You probably also have some local RV places like Camping World or RV dealers that can get you a fridge without the shipping costs. Talk to the guy who is doing your repairs, he should have some ideas of local and not so local sources for a new fridge. You may have trouble finding an exact fit on a trailer this age, But you should be able to get close, and make up the difference with some trim.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
When you get to the refer check into a newer Dometic or Norcold, looks like you have the vents. I have heard of others that use a new door that resembles an original type.
My 1958 Traveler had a similar look to the interior a "white washed" finish. My AS is also mostly 120 Volts AC (Shore) with only one 12 Volts DC light similar to yours in the overhead that is both AC and DC. I also have a propane light by the dinette/galley.
The Freshwater is only about 12 gallons and is the original steel tank. I do have a small black/gray water tank under the toilet. I will be keeping both tanks even though the capacities are very small.
Good luck with your Flying Cloud.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
A good point--in my earlier discussion of electrical systems, I suggested that the PO may have removed 12V wiring, there is also a good possibility that the trailer was not built with much of a 12V system in the first place.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I'm on my way over to visit my AS today (it's a few hours away from me in South Lake Tahoe) so I'll have some questions ask, especially about electrical.

Piratesteve, I believe those are the original cabinets but the PO did the white wash look themselves (she told me over the phone). It's not really my style so I'll be reprinting them again for now and may consider replacing them all together later on..

Hopefully I'll know about about my options after my visit today. I'm traveling full time (usually saying in a spot for around 4 weeks) so I'll be out of the area soon but I suppose if he has somewhere local to get a fridge I can have it installed before I come pick it up (I'll be in Portland).

Looks like a new dinette seating/sleeping configuration won't be in the budget this time around so I'm grabbing the cushions to get started on upholstery for the current set up.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
As a note I tried to remove the "white wash finish" today. Heat made things not doable, if you decide to remove the finish please keep this in mind!!!!
The Glue has broken down after 50+ years. I was prepared to replace the skin anyway although that could and would get VERY expensive if you were having to pay someone to do it.
On a side note I am ready to laminate some more parts tomorrow!
Old 07-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
What are you laminating? I think I'm lost
Old 07-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I am replacing the skin or laminating a new plywood skin over the old framework. I have been re-skinning the furnishings anyway I was just trying to save a little time by leaving the inside of the cabinet doors.
With the Glue being so dry when I tried to use a little heat it the plywood skin came loose. I didn't try a chemical stripper but that may be an option but could also open a can of worms.
Here is a picture of the galley cabinet door with the inside panel removed. I will be laminating the new skin on the three doors later today. The other picture is the cabinet rebuilt. I still need to cut openings for a drawer and the cutting board
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6854.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	216772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furniture 002.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	216773  

Old 07-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Ah alright, that's pretty cool. I just plan too paint over the white wash look a more solid color or white of grey tone for now.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
It looks like mine did so it may be original and it sure looks period correct. I think that it looks cool like it is, if mine was as nice as yours I would have left it.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Nope definitely not original, I spoke to the PO who painted it herself because she "didn't like the dark wood look". Interesting thought though, I'll keep a look out for more like it.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:46 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Congrats on your sweet rig and welcome to the '50s FC family! If you're looking to avoid plumbing a toilet and adding a black tank you might consider a composting toilet. But you're on the right tank with the grey tank--the old 'the world is my grey tank' mentality of the 1950s is generally frowned upon these days. It's a need to have, not a nice to have. Congrats again!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Thanks calais, pretty sure I'm going ahead with ordering all of the tanks at once. Haven't done a whole lot of research on composting toilets but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be my cup of tea haha.

Not to sound like a total noob but the grey tank - is the function to supply water to the shower and sinks? I'm a bit confused as I thought that was the fresh water tank. I have had my restoration guy explain the whole system to me 2-3x and still I'm a bit hazy on it all.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The fresh water tank holds fresh water. This water is used in the sink, shower and to flush the toilet when you are not supplied with a constant flow of "city" water.

Any water, waste, etc., that goes into the toilet ends up in the black tank. Any water that goes into the sink or the shower goes into the grey tank. Up until the mid 70's, grey water was not considered such bad stuff, but modern concerns about environment dictate that the grey water must be captured and disposed of much like black water. Therefore, if your trailer was built without a grey tank, you either have to be connected to a sewer, or you have to catch the waste water in a portable tank, known as a "blue-boy" (which then has to be dragged to a dump station and emptied).

The black and grey tanks are both plumbed into a single dump valve which is attached to the hose that goes to a dump station or a sewer connection in a park with full hookups.