Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Smile Flying high on a Cloud from 1958

And we are off like a dirty shirt! I have secretly battled the aluminum addiction of aluminum for 8+ years. I've come clean with this "disorder" and found myself a 1958 Flying Cloud (VIN 8445) to help with the cure, or as some might say, further enable my "disorder".

Found my first Airstream up here in beautiful Montana about 3 weeks ago. The seller used it for fishing / hunting over the last 15 years so it was expected to have a some seasoning. Montana doesn't have any humidity and the dry climate helped over the years. The trailer pulled perfectly for 400+ miles with every gas station drawing crowds. I won't say what I paid for it here, but many thought I "stole it" as I surely did get it cheap. The seller wanted what he paid for it 15 years ago .

Our only hiccup - 47 miles before we got home - BOOM - we blew a tire. My war wound consists of a deep cut on the top of my thumb to the bone and hindering my ability to change the tire effectively (darn wheel well trim). Brother in law came to the rescue and we were home shortly after dark. Thumb just healed this week, I will wear the scar with pride!

All in all, I have hesitated to post here as I love these forums and I know that everybody here will start commenting and following my remodel progress. Intimidates me a bit as I am a newbie but the information here is so invaluable I really need it. Heck, I even chatted with the famous David Winick as he is restoring a 1958 Cloud too!

Off to the races we go! I will sincerely appreciate your input as we lay out our plans. Totally stoked to create something great with my hands!

Oh, and the interior was all original. Not sure what works but if you have a need for something let me know - I am selling everything from inside (appliances, lights, original astrodome cover, cabinet hardware, sink, etc.)!
MontanaAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Oopps, I forget - everybody loves pictures! Here are some outside ones, I will get interior ones tomorrow for ya!

I look happy now, hopefully will keep smiling. Top of the trailer was lightly painted but has easily come off when testing paint removers. Trailer has Montana algae build up but comes off with wire brush. Old Wally Caravan sticker seen faded in the front and back. And the biggest bonus, all the windows open and close with ease! Snow lately has kept me from digging into the restoration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4664.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	127963 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4665.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	127964

Name:	IMG_4695.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	127965 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4699.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	127966

Name:	IMG_4755.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	127967 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4824.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	127968
Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
What a beauty! Congrats and welcome to the forums.. no longer a lurker.

Cheers Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Thanks Vinnie ~ I shall lurk no more, bad on the vision and sleep patterns (late nights searching forums, etc). Now I am on my own "cloud" so the scenery is personally wonderful. Thank you for your message!

Oh, and to the many that have PM'ed me on items you are interested in buying - I will get back to you shortly with prices, etc. A bit tied up with a great and busy Easter weekend with my wife and 3 little boys.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54
A rare trailer full of character! If I did not have my Cruiser...... However, one should not steal, or?
Greetings from Switzerland
Werner
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
All in all, I have hesitated to post here as I love these forums and I know that everybody here will start commenting and following my remodel progress. Intimidates me a bit as I am a newbie but the information here is so invaluable I really need it. Heck, I even chatted with the famous David Winick as he is restoring a 1958 Cloud too!

Off to the races we go! I will sincerely appreciate your input as we lay out our plans. Totally stoked to create something great with my hands!

Congratulations on your new treasure. I was at the same place 2 years ago, chatting with everyone here on the forums has been great and very helpful.
I am still not sure if I know what I am doing
Keep posting pictures and have a good time.
Doug

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
Asheville , NC
Awesome!

Welcome to the fifties and the forums!! Our stories are very similar, my 54 was used has a hunting cabin for about 25 years. Guess that means all the more work we have to do.

And seriously all you will find is support here. I am a young 23 year old who has never restored anything but an old motorcycle. When I look back nearly two months ago I have gained an incredible amount of knowledge thanks to these forums. The only thing I would be worried about is showing up to a restoration rally...pictures make everything look nice...but in person people would be snickering behind my back!!

Keep us updated! maybe one day we will get all of the 50's Airstreams pulled out of the woods!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
A rare trailer full of character! If I did not have my Cruiser...... However, one should not steal, or?
Greetings from Switzerland
Werner
Oh how we love and adore Switzerland! We have considered moving there temporarily many times!

No worries about "stealing", the seller and his son were no longer using the trailer and really wanted to see it stay in Montana. The trailer is straight, has a great underbody, and tows smoothly. Based upon prices I have seen, I feel very blessed to have such a great start on a rare trailer.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
Congratulations on your new treasure. I was at the same place 2 years ago, chatting with everyone here on the forums has been great and very helpful.
I am still not sure if I know what I am doing
Keep posting pictures and have a good time.
Doug
Thanks Doug for your reply. We all have to start somewhere! I relish the advice and experiences of others here on the forums, it really was one of the main deciding factors for me to buy my first Airstream. The help will be invaluable to me.

Believe it or not I have looked at 2-3 other old Airstreams to restore too after I get done with my Flying Cloud. My wife knows I have been bitten by the aluminum bug and as long as I keep my ducks in a row she will let me run with it. I will keep everybody updated here as I know that they love pictures! Thanks again!

Jeremy
Old 04-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Welcome to the Airforums. I have a 56 FC with the same layout as yours, and I work on the coach in Montana in the Stillwater Valley not far from you. We may be able to help one another. Good luck with your restoration. Hank
RankAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Welcome to the fifties and the forums!! Our stories are very similar, my 54 was used has a hunting cabin for about 25 years. Guess that means all the more work we have to do.

And seriously all you will find is support here. I am a young 23 year old who has never restored anything but an old motorcycle. When I look back nearly two months ago I have gained an incredible amount of knowledge thanks to these forums. The only thing I would be worried about is showing up to a restoration rally...pictures make everything look nice...but in person people would be snickering behind my back!!

Keep us updated! maybe one day we will get all of the 50's Airstreams pulled out of the woods!
Thanks for your message! I am 35 (I feel like 25) and since I was a kid I've been in love with the history of America (cars, furniture, etc). I use to wander thru antique shops while I was in college, in the south, as it was one of my favorite pastimes. I've never restored anything on a grand scale such as this but I feel with the resources I have, the people here, and the love I have my Airstream, I will come out okay.

I look forward to the experiences of others to guide me along my first restoration. Pictures are great but yes, I do wonder what people will say when I decide to show up at a rally sometime. Oh well, we have to start somewhere, right?

I have my eye on 2-3 other "Montana" trailers, I look forward to rescuing them soon! I will keep you updated on my progress on my Cloud! Thanks again!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlairf View Post
Welcome to the Airforums. I have a 56 FC with the same layout as yours, and I work on the coach in Montana in the Stillwater Valley not far from you. We may be able to help one another. Good luck with your restoration. Hank
Hi Hank! We love Stillwater! Our family has a place along the Stillwater River (outside Absarokee) and needless to say my 3 little boys love to float and fish it. Is your 56 here in Montana with you? I look forward to chatting with you more, thanks! Jeremy
Old 04-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Congratulations on your first Airstream! A nice one at that...my only concern is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaAIR View Post
Trailer has Montana algae build up but comes off with wire brush.
Just a word of advice...throw that wire brush away! Right now, if not sooner!!! If you have any intentions of polishing your trailer - or even if you don't, I suspect you will regret taking a wire brush to it someday down the road. Aluminum is very soft and the scratches left will be very difficult to remove. I'd try something a little (ok, a LOT!) gentler to remove the algae...like soapy water & a sponge. From the looks of the door, it'll polish up nicely...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Congratulations on your first Airstream! A nice one at that...my only concern is...

Just a word of advice...throw that wire brush away! Right now, if not sooner!!! If you have any intentions of polishing your trailer - or even if you don't, I suspect you will regret taking a wire brush to it someday down the road. Aluminum is very soft and the scratches left will be very difficult to remove. I'd try something a little (ok, a LOT!) gentler to remove the algae...like soapy water & a sponge. From the looks of the door, it'll polish up nicely...

Shari
Yikes! Thanks for your message. Sorry for any miscommunication on my part. Reading these forums over the last 4+ years I've read that the wire brush is a no-no. I should of posted that I used the wire brush, very lightly, only on the painted part of the trailer (top). The rest of the trailer I used a rag and warm water. In hindsight, even on the painted part I should of used the rag and water too, I thought I might of had a little protection with the paint. I need to be gentle with her and take care of her! Thank you so much for your comment, this is what I am after and need as I get ready to dig in! The wire brush has now been demoted to BBQ grill cleanup duty.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaAIR View Post
The wire brush has now been demoted to BBQ grill cleanup duty.
Oh good...your Airstream thanks you!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Congratulations and welcome to the tin tube club. From the photos, she looks wonderful! Nice to have you with us...
Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the tin tube club. From the photos, she looks wonderful! Nice to have you with us...
Rae
Thank you! Really excited to be a part of a wonderful community. My wife and boys are anxious for me to dive in ... they look forward to camping in style.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Hey Montana, what a great trailer! And, welcome to the yellow brick road of trailer restoration; don't be intimidated to post, everyone understands what you're going through! Questions are good and you can learn a lot before going down the wrong path (yeah, like don't use silicon caulk on aluminum. ouch) The forums are an amazing resource and a very cool community.

Switzerland: we love Switzerland too.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Welcome, Jeremy, to the '58 Club. She looks like a real beauty.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
Hey Montana, what a great trailer! And, welcome to the yellow brick road of trailer restoration; ...

Switzerland: we love Switzerland too.
Thank you so much for you message. The million questions I have even before I begin will more than likely double once I start! The trailer has got a lot of attention in my neighborhood and I know with the resources here on these forums, I will truly make this sweet Cloud shine!

Jeremy

Tags
1958, flying cloud, montana, restoration, vin