4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Been encouraged with progress as the weather keeps holding out. Nice evenings as well; hopefully the neighbors don't mind me working late when my driveway is lit up like a baseball park. I keep picking up pieces for the trailer via Craigslist and even garage sales. Last week, brand new Thetford Bravura toilet $100 shipped. I had a bead on a Sealand model but it got damaged. New Fantastic Fan with all the options, $80. And a new Whisper King Shur Flo pump for $30. For those interested, when it's all done and said I am keeping a total tab on my expenses and time. I will share that as I go along. Remember, I am the biggest penny pincher around ...

I am going to start blogging about my Cloud restoration but have no fear, I will keep this forum updated too. Blog allows for a little bit more visual appeal, etc. On a side note, check the classifieds soon as I am posting a lot of the interior parts I have for sale and have no need for. Having my first Airstream, I notice any Airstream sitting in a field field or farm all the time. I might be helping an older gentleman sell his old Airstream, a 1948 Liner, incredible. I hope everybody is enjoying their camping season as I am motivated to get out there soon!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaAIR View Post
For those interested, when it's all done and said I am keeping a total tab on my expenses and time. I will share that as I go along.
You might need it for insurance too.

Quote:
I am going to start blogging about my Cloud restoration but no fear, I will keep this forum updated too.
Yay!

my restoration & travel blog:
http://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
You might need it for insurance too.

Yay!
I admit it, your blog inspired me! Didn't think about the insurance thing but that is a great point! I knew it wasn't for just my personal satisfaction!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
As I said before...great finds on the deals. Seems my timing is off whenever I'm looking. Looking sharp!
Old 06-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhays View Post
As I said before...great finds on the deals. Seems my timing is off whenever I'm looking. Looking sharp!
It's a rigorous process at times but I scrape about every corner I can around town. Persistence is paying off I think. About every person I talk to I mention I'm restoring an Airstream and its amazing how I find parts, etc. Keep your eyes peeled, you will find that gold nugget! Thanks!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Doing some more rivet removal. Wow, I can see how you guys really love rivets (cough, cough). Whether removing them or installing them, I can see the strong love that exists with this experience. My neck and hands are hating life right now but there has to be love on the other side. I can feel it.

As the rain storms subside and we finally have some nice weather I seem to battle the wasps flying in and around the trailer. I figure they are upset I am messing with their homes. As I get ready to remove my very first interior panel the vent screen needed removed. Hello Mr. Wasp nests! Good thing I sprayed you dead a couple days ago!

Woohoo, first panel is off!
I drilled out all those rivets over 2 yrs. ago, it did take a while for my hands and neck to stop complaining. I'm 90% done with replacing the rivets now. I was actually surprised that the panels went back in so easily. All the old rivet holes lined right up, I hope to be painting the interior this weekend.
Keep on moving, it's all fun(well most of it).
Doug

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
I drilled out all those rivets over 2 yrs. ago, it did take a while for my hands and neck to stop complaining. I'm 90% done with replacing the rivets now. I was actually surprised that the panels went back in so easily. All the old rivet holes lined right up, I hope to be painting the interior this weekend.
Keep on moving, it's all fun(well most of it).
Doug
Thanks Doug for the motivation! I have a full idea of what all the rivet talk is about now! I'm moving right along and know that sometimes I have to work thru the pain. I get motivated by seeing the progress of other projects and it keeps my visual plan in the front of my head. Great to see your project is coming along so well!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
8447? No 8445!

If you listen, the trailer will talk to you. Well, that's what I tell myself anyway. Was moving the cabinets around in my garage and never saw this before: numbers on inside walls. Looks like my cabinets were destined for VIN 8447 but they made sure they stayed with 8445. I love old stories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010295.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	133032   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010296.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	133033  

Old 07-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
1958 Templates, New Friends, and 2 Airstreams at of my house!

My wife knew I was excited. The sight of 2 Airstreams at my house was a moment in time for me. Jason, new friend from Utah, came to Montana and put on some serious mileage. He saw what we all rave about around here, the awesomeness of the mountains, rivers, and lakes. Though Utah can hold its own very well too!

Jason was picking up some items from me and giving them a new life/home. He has the talent and the knowledge to bring his 56' Flying Cloud project back to its former glory; though I was really liking his Caravel project. It was really great talking to another young "Airstreamer" and comparing notes.

All in all, I painstakingly drew out detailed templates of all my interior cabinets. I was going to keep the cabinets till it was time to make new ones but my garage was being mean and not letting me store anything more in it. Most of my interior will be updated to fit the needs of our young family. I used sheet paper to outline curves and took over 400 pics for notes. Overall, I have a wonderful reference to future questions I may have for my new cabinet building. I know the first question I may get from fellow Cloud owners: Can I get a copy of those templates? Send me a private message!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010628.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	135464   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010531.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	135465  

Name:	P1010633.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	135466   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	135467  

Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Doing some more rivet removal. Wow, I can see how you guys really love rivets (cough, cough). Whether removing them or installing them, I can see the strong love that exists with this experience. My neck and hands are hating life right now but there has to be love on the other side. I can feel it.

As the rain storms subside and we finally have some nice weather I seem to battle the wasps flying in and around the trailer. I figure they are upset I am messing with their homes. As I get ready to remove my very first interior panel the vent screen needed removed. Hello Mr. Wasp nests! Good thing I sprayed you dead a couple days ago!

Woohoo, first panel is off!
Just an observation here, but the ceiling panels that you removed the solid rivets from is supposed to come out in one piece. Removing it requires removing all of the pop rivets, rolling the panel, and removing the 3 pieces as one.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Just an observation here, but the ceiling panels that you removed the solid rivets from is supposed to come out in one piece. Removing it requires removing all of the pop rivets, rolling the panel, and removing the 3 pieces as one.
Thanks for your message! I follow your thread and have got some great ideas from your work! I separated the top ceiling piece from the 2 sides as I need them for templates on some new panels. The fridge bounced off one side for years putting a nice hole in the one wall and a new top ceiling piece will not have the light hole that is currently there. Rolling those panels are sure a bugger, clamps definately help the process!
Old 07-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #98
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Suburban Furnace - DD-17DSi

Fella down the street has a beautiful Winnebago (he's a dentist, not that this really matters except his teeth and his RV are white!). His heater didn't ignite all the time so he bought a new one. Long story short, I picked the old heater up for next to nothing. It's a Suburban DD-17DSI model, older but looks in fantastic condition. I already looked up part prices, etc so I may be into it fairly cheap. If not, easy to pull the plug and move on. Trying to stay with close to new on various items for our trailer but I hope this heater can keep the family warm on cold Montana nights.

Tags
1958, flying cloud, montana, restoration, vin