Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Welcome

Congrats on your purchase, its great to see another 58 cloud back on the road.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Thank you so much! Really excited that my first Airstream is a Flying Cloud. Weather starting to finally hold, time to dig in!

Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstech View Post
Congrats on your purchase, its great to see another 58 cloud back on the road.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
The first rivet officially sealed my addiction. Can't spend enough time in the trailer now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
The first rivet is always the hardest.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Weather is a go ~ it's time

After a lot of rain and cold temps it is sure nice to see the sun! But hey, it's Montana, the weather might change 5 minutes from now so I better work quickly!

Saturday was very productive. I started on the 'official' process of removing the interior and getting the trailer emptied out. I started with the hardest part - the Krefft fridge and it's close brother - the heater. Had to place a car jack under the front of the fridge as the braces and wood was literally crumbling and I didn't feel like having a fridge fall on me! I don't think the top of the fridge ever was cleaned in 50+ years! Notice the fridge rub and the black residue on the wall-panel of the trailer.

Here are a few pics of the delicate yet strong-armed removal process. Let the arm bruising begin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000730.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	129886   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000739.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	129887  

Name:	P1000734.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	129888   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000752.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	129889  

Old 05-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Interior Removal ~ the saga continues

Part 2 of my post today is the continual removal of the interior. I am working my way around the trailer to at least the bathroom, my mid-way point for the day.

Removed the curbside cabinets along with the overhead cabinets. This was all easy in caparison to the fridge removal. The back overhead cabinet appears that it was added later down the road. The shelf was original but the sliding doors were not.

The bathroom took up more than time that anticipated, imagine that. The base screws on the toilet were crumbling and were rusted beyond function. I had to pull out the big gun, my RotoZip. After cutting the bolts the toilet came off perfectly. Did I mention I felt like taking the toilet and installing it in my kids bathroom? The size of it is awesome.

The toilet was relocated at some point to make room for an air tank the previous owners added. With that in mind the black tank was a pain to remove due to modified connections under the trailer. I had to peel away some of the belly aluminum to get to everything.

The sensation of having half of the trailer gutted out is like fireworks for me. I can see the show starting and it's only going to get better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000773.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	129890   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000774.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	129891  

Name:	P1000806.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	129892   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000832.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	129893  

Name:	P1000841.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	129894   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000859.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	129895  

Old 05-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Banged up

Man, I feel like a ping pong ball at times. I'm usually a very careful and crafty fella who is totally aware of his surroundings but I'm in uncharted water here with my first Airstream. I need to start wearing a hard hat and safety gear to the fullest as I work in and around the trailer. 4 days into the start of my 'official' renovation and I have various war wounds - the latest: forgetting the window was open as I walked by it. How many times have you all hit your head and gashed it open?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaAIR View Post
Man, I feel like a ping pong ball at times. I'm usually a very careful and crafty fella who is totally aware of his surroundings but I'm in uncharted water here with my first Airstream. I need to start wearing a hard hat and safety gear to the fullest as I work in and around the trailer. 4 days into the start of my 'official' renovation and I have various war wounds - the latest: forgetting the window was open as I walked by it. How many times have you all hit your head and gashed it open?
I've lost count. Wait until you whack your head on the top of the main door going outside. That really smarts.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:18 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaAIR View Post
Should wear a mask when ripping up the asbestos floor tiles. Older trailers, especially 60's trailers and earlier, are almost all filled with mouse contaminated insulation. Almost all the trailers are filled with serious contamination. Be very aware of the odor that is coming from it, especially in wet or damp weather, where those odors can become quite strong. Recommend any trailer with this type of contamination be completely torn apart, removing interior wall panels, including under pan area, to eliminate all contaminated materials.

This is a simple note to all Airstream and trailer owners of the very serious health risk posed by Hanta virus. This disease is common in contaminated homes and work places [ESPECIALLY older buildings, as well as old trailers] where rodent activity, particularly stool, urine and bodies have been left, especially in contaminated wall and ceiling cavities. Use caution not to stir up and breath dust, or touch surfaces with bare hands.

toastie
Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #51
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome to the bruised and battered club. Cut a slot in a tennis ball and stick one on each window frame corner. Trust me, its well worth it.

Now where's those pictures?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Thank you so much Toastie. I am a huge fan of your work, I follow your posts and plan on implementing some of your ideas in my floor plan.

Your message is definately a well-taken point. One of the first things I was advised to get my hands on was a respirator before I even parked the trailer in my driveway. Some of my neighbors have asked why I am doing a frame-up restoration, you pretty much summed it up! I have 3 little boys and a lovely wife ~ all I think of is giving them a safe place to rest their heads while in the mountains!

Gloves, respirator, and well, now a hard hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Should wear a mask when ripping up the asbestos floor tiles. Older trailers, especially 60's trailers and earlier, are almost all filled with mouse contaminated insulation. Almost all the trailers are filled with serious contamination ... Use caution not to stir up and breath dust, or touch surfaces with bare hands.

toastie
Old 05-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Welcome to the bruised and battered club. Cut a slot in a tennis ball and stick one on each window frame corner. Trust me, its well worth it.

Now where's those pictures?

Brad
FF
LOL! My wife laughs at me 'cause I literally unscrew 2 screws, move a drawer, and take a picture! Every move I make, snap! Vacuum up dust, snap. Every time I am in the trailer I come out with 200+ new photos! I told my wife that once I registered with this forum pictures were a requirement!

Absolutely love your idea of the tennis balls, fantastic! I coach both of my little sons baseball teams and I use a huge bucket of tennis balls for practice (so a 5 year old isn't initially afraid of catching a ball). I am cutting up some tennis balls as soon as I post this!

Now I am assuming you want pics of the trailer and not my war wounds!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
I've lost count. Wait until you whack your head on the top of the main door going outside. That really smarts.
My wife reminded me of all the scars I am going to have on my head as to discourage me from shaving my head at any given time. HA! I think I am going to get me a hard hat at this rate.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
haha...I'm just the opposite sadly. I get so engrossed in each part that I forget to slow down and take pictures (plus the wife will kill me if I damage her camera) I am attempting to be more mindful of the need to document things though.

Your project looks great!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhays View Post
haha...I'm just the opposite sadly. I get so engrossed in each part that I forget to slow down and take pictures (plus the wife will kill me if I damage her camera) I am attempting to be more mindful of the need to document things though.

Your project looks great!
Too funny! I actually am using my wife's pocket camera from her purse! When I go out to the trailer I stop by the garage and get the camera out of the car. I pray every time I use it I don't damage it! My big thing is having a record of how the trailer was initially put together so if I have questions I have a reference point. Thanks for your post!

Tags
1958, flying cloud, montana, restoration, vin