Old 04-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
thanks for the well wishes. i'm hanging out at home recovering at the moment. i've been off the pain meds for 4 days so i've been feeling normal the last several days. i must say, this weekend is gorgeous in socal and i'm already getting bored sitting around. i think i can have a friend help me next weekend and i can do some work on the frame.

the black tanks arrived this week, they are great. i'm glad i went the ABS route, they seem strong and the fact i can install my own fittings is a huge plus.

i have a question; the tanks come with a 1.5" lip on them so my plan is to weld an angle just down from the top of the frame and the tanks will sit on this angle (it'll have to be bolted on one side so i can drop the tanks to remove them). so the tanks will "hang there" if you can picture it. i can't build a box frame as a i originally planned because the tanks don't have square edges.

so my question is obviously the lip is probably not strong enough to support the tank with water (alone that is), but it allows the tanks to fit into position and then i can strap them in from underneath, sort of like hanging the tanks and supporting them with straps. has anyone used anything for straps that you could cinch tight and snug enough. i'd probably use three, two near each end and one in the middle. not sure how the strapping idea would work. any suggestions?

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
can you post a photo of the tanks? what does the vendor say about hanging the tanks by the flanges?

Something like this might work, if you've got room. Turn the top of the threaded rod support stuff parallel the tank to fit better. This would allow lots of adjustment changing the overall dimensions at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tank support.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	58056

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
zep, i'm hanging the tanks from the NEW 2x4 crossmembers i'm going to be installing so i won't need the threaded rod idea, tanks are at my office but i did a skecth of the idea;

Name:	56 cloud 2-Model.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	58065

the strapping is the thing i'm having the issue.

also, zep, how are you getting your thumbnail images to read so strongly? i've been playing with the penweights in autocad but my thumbnail still looks weak.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
David, nice drawing. I don't know how else to "cinch" up your strap.

I'm using Autosketch. It was an independent CAD company years ago, but AutoCAD bought them and that was the last upgrade--I'm guessing my copy is now over 8 years old. It's simple but fully DXF file compatible. I guess the line selections, when you are thicker than "thinest", are pretty coarse, but they get the job done for me. But you can't save to .JPG with Autosketch (or any other image file, just CAD files).

It may be the method by which I make the image. I have a program called Print Screen Deluxe (shareware)--been using it for about 5 years. It copies the screen pixels one-for-one and can store the image in any common image file format. You just hit "print screen" and select the area of the screen with the mouse. Piece of cake.

Zep
Old 04-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #117
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
2d and 3d drawings.

Zep and urbanfood, you might be interested in the program "Google SketchUp". There is a free download form Google. It is an amazing program and easy to use and there many many tutorials on how to use it on Youtube.
Here is my Picasa site for you to see some examples.
Picasa Web Albums - Don
I also use a free version of Kerkythea and rendering program to creat final images. If you have any further question about the programs, let me know.
Don
Old 04-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #118
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
can you post a photo of the tanks? what does the vendor say about hanging the tanks by the flanges?

Something like this might work, if you've got room. Turn the top of the threaded rod support stuff parallel the tank to fit better. This would allow lots of adjustment changing the overall dimensions at all.

Attachment 58056

Zep
Zep

I'm also in the process of ordering tanks for my 55 Safari and I really like the concept of running the threaded bolts. Will add spacer/plate that will catch the tank flange and design the belly pan for the ease of removing if the tanks need to be removed later on.......

Toastie
of removing the
Old 04-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
Zep and urbanfood, you might be interested in the program "Google SketchUp". ...
I also use a free version of Kerkythea and rendering program to creat final images. If you have any further question about the programs, let me know.
Don
Don, you are quite the graphic artist. Did Google Sketchup produce the stuff on your Picasa site?

I usually use my CAD program for engineering type drawings. If I go 3D, it's with a camera!

Zep
Old 04-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Zepp, thanks for the kudos. Yes everything was done with SketchUp. The rendersing that have a photo type look were done in the program Kerkythia.
Have you taken a look at SketchUp yet. I think you will like it. I've worked with many programs and I like SketchUp because of its ease.
Don
Old 04-13-2008, 11:51 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Pretty interesting. I've gone through the first 30 or so tips. I was suspicious that it was an illustrating tool, rather than a CAD tool, but it's looking CAD to me. I like it, so far.

Zep
Old 04-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #122
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 22' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Ojai , California
All
I am right in the middle of hanging tanks in one of my 54 FC's , the above info has been very helpful. Thanks to all for the straps and the sketchup.
Jim
Old 04-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #123
USS REQUIN 481

1963 19' Globetrotter
1988 25' Excella
Reynolds , Georgia
Congradulations

I kinda know how you feel about your new prize.
Our 63 globetrotter kinda sorta looked like your interior but not as clean. We want ours to be just like we want it after we're through working on it.
Photos are the day we brought it home and then gutted and yesterday I primed the inside.

Name:	'63GlobeTrotter005.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	58225

Name:	'63GlobeTrotter010.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	58226

Name:	PICT0001.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	58227

Name:	'63GlobeTrotter011.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	58228
Old 04-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Pretty interesting. I've gone through the first 30 or so tips. I was suspicious that it was an illustrating tool, rather than a CAD tool, but it's looking CAD to me. I like it, so far.

Zep
I'm a big fan of Google Sketchup too. I created some models of my ideas for a new house and sent them over to my architect. He was not thrilled at my intrusion into his world to say the least.

But, he's also my long-time best friend since grade school, so he'll just have to put up with it. Anyway, he'd never seen anything done with Sketchup before and he was pretty impressed with it.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
Zep and urbanfood, you might be interested in the program "Google SketchUp". There is a free download form Google. It is an amazing program and easy to use and there many many tutorials on how to use it on Youtube.
Here is my Picasa site for you to see some examples.
Picasa Web Albums - Don
Don
I second (or third!) the use of Sketch-Up as a quick modeling and visualization tool. I've used it for work for 8+ years now...it was developed locally here in Boulder and just recently sold to Google...wish I woulda got that check! It's pretty intuitive, you don't have to be an architect/engineer to learn/use it ~ although it can be tough to get that tubular Airstream shape at first.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
don, great work on the sketchup. i've actually downloaded it awhile ago and haven't found the time to work with it yet. it could be very useful for my houses. my hesitation has always been i'd spend too many hours for few results, however, your stuff looks good. how many hours did it take you for "the pad" (ballpark, 10, 40, or 100).

all - i dryfitted the gray and black tanks this weekend and they are going to work like a charm. i also ordered this from northern tool
FREE SHIPPING — Hobart Handler 187 MIG Welder — 230 Volt, 180 Amp, Model# 500525 | Wirefeed Welders | Northern Tool + Equipment

pricey, yes but it will bring lots of joy and i'll find plenty of use for it. oh and it'll allow me to finish the frame work on the flying cloud