Old 11-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
i like the idea of the a/c under the gaucho instead. does anyone have any pictures of that installation? i'd want to do it so i can take it out, i.e. a nonpermanent solution. i could install an access door that is closed and locked when the a/c is not in.

captain jones - love the idea of reversing the door swing. i can certainly make it so it just about goes to the counter area. that will create a great little changing area. thanks for that idea!

norcal - i thought about the crawling over each other but my wife are still in the cuddling phase of our marriage so hopefully the bed will work for the next several years. if it changes, i could always sleep on the floor

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
cool

Great minds must think alike, as I am planning an almost identical floorplan for my 1971 21' Globetrotter. I will have a window in my bath area though. I need to also install a gray water tank and I really need to start looking for a black water tank to wrap aroung the wheel well.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Laughed out loud. Thanks.
Don
Old 11-12-2006, 06:24 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
alrighty, making some progress. i removed all of the lower interior panels. once you get the hang of drilling out the rivets, it's pretty easy. i did find some corrosion near the bath between the copper pipe and the alluminum. it even corroded some of the aluminim panel. it's a big sheet but i may replace it. i've included some pix of the corrosion.

also, i began removing some rivets from the lower exterior shell which separates the shell from the c-channel. however i thought the purpose of removing the lower interior panels was to have access to the c-channel and remove the c-channel from the subfloor so when you lift the shell, the c-channel comes with it. but the way i'm doing it, is freeing the shell from the c-channel so when i lift the shell, the c-channel stays with the subfloor. am i missing something here? i've posted a pic of that as well.

i've also included a pic of the panels laid out on the lawn. i'll probably end up replacing a couple of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	corrosion.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	28542Click image for larger version

Name:	more corrosion.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	28543

Name:	interior shell.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	28544Click image for larger version

Name:	interior panel layout.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	28545

Name:	question1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	28546

Old 11-13-2006, 09:37 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
No David your not missing anything. Here is how it went together:
1- plywood with insulation stapled to bottom was bolted to frame
2- c channel screwed to plywood floor
3- bellyskin wrapped around bottom and riveted to channel to hold in place
4- shell back on, shell, u channel, and belly skin riveted together.

I didn't realize that you were moving this fast....very good. Just remember to make a floor pattern before it starts to fall apart on you. Back in the 50s the curves could vary from side to side and it will be a pita to get your shell back on with a bad fit. A lot of people don't have a floor to work with and lower the shell down and trace around it for a floor pattern.
I numbered and marked our c channels on the floor pattern that I made. Some of the channels got too tweaked to reuse but at least we will know exactly where to attatch to the floor and what sizes to make.

I don't know if it has been mentioned to you yet but...do not throw anything away. Even if you are planning to have new cabinets the old cabinets will come in handy for patterns of the wall curves. They really don't take up much room when you pack it away neatly. We have our whole interior stacked in a small space.

Even if you are doing a new interior, people that are doing a restore will really appreciate the smallest of parts. You can pass them on or ebay them to help pay for your new stuff.

Great to see your progress. Thanks for posting!
Lynn
Old 11-13-2006, 10:30 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi lynn,

thanks for the clarification on how it goes together. that's what i thought but i guess with all the pages i've been reading, it's easy to get confused and i was expecting something different, but now i get it.

i did save all the cabinetry work. the PO really did a hack job on some of the stuff and modified some of the cabinetry. the curved panels will be useful for templates. i'm excited to reuse the overhead bins as they're aluminum, nice and light and should clean up nicely. what i essentially bought was a shell.

did you remove all the interior panels? i'm a little worried about removing the 13 interior panels from the front and rear and getting them lined back up and looking correctly.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:35 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
did you remove all the interior panels? i'm a little worried about removing the 13 interior panels from the front and rear and getting them lined back up and looking correctly.

Havent done it yet but it is my understanding that the upper ends don't need to come apart completely. You actually leave most of it together and just remove rivets that connect the edges so it comes out in the dome shape with most of the pieces still riveted together. I think it would be a bear to get it back together if you took every piece apart.

We just have the lower skins off now and don't plan to remove anymore until we start rewiring. We may try to work around taking those ends out if we can.

On first thought we wanted to replace all of the insulation until we took the lower skins off and saw how clean everything was. It pretty much looked like new. I think I will be able to sleep in there if we don't replace the insulation behind those ends if thats the only reason we have to get in there.

Lynn
Old 11-14-2006, 01:54 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
I forgot to mention something from your previous post regarding the window air conditioner...John and I were at a rally in Temecula and it was scorching hot out there. A couple of people had portable scaffolding rigged up with window air units sitting on them and blowing into a side window.

I had thought about doing this and taking one of our small window units with us as needed. I am not much of a desert camper so it will be a rare occasion that we should need air when camping so I hate to take up valuable space for a couple of times a year. Also can't use air unless you have hook ups or run a generator.

I wouldn't permanently install an air conditioner hanging out a window but as an occasional solution this worked. We took some pictures of the set up and have them here somewhere.

We may just install one under the gaucho. Uwe did a really nice install on a window unit under his bed. It is in his 63 for me thread.

Lynn
Old 01-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi all,

after a two a half month hiatus, i'm ready to get back to work on the cloud. between the holidays and the fact that i just finished studying for my california oral architect's exam, i haven't had any spare time. now i can see how these projects can drag on for a year or more

looks like there's lots of activity to catch up with on the board. i'm going to get the framing installed this week and get the shell ready to pull off (just in time for the rainy season).

good to be back here.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:08 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
finally it's off!

alrighty, i finally got the shell off.

getting it off wasn't too bad, moving the shell was a little awkward. it took 5 of us to move it 30' to it's new home in the backyard.

the floor is bad in spots but overall is together so i'll have a real good template. the c-channel that is attached to the floor is in great shape too, especially the curved section so i can definately use that.

the belly pan actually wraps up and over the c-channel and back down. even though i popped the rivets to get the shell off, i still need to drill out the core of the rivets to get the belly pan off.

Name:	interior frame.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	32092 Click image for larger version

Name:	braced frame.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	32093

Name:	liftoff.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	32094 Click image for larger version

Name:	liftoff2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	32095

Name:	bottom.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	32096 Click image for larger version

Name:	new home.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	32097

Old 02-10-2007, 12:48 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
It's looking good. What a great step to have completed. Also great that you "C " channel is in good shape.
Don
Old 02-10-2007, 05:54 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
"nasty" is my word for today. it took me about 4 hours to remove the bellypan and it was absolutely dirty and disgusting. i think it'll be the worst part of the job.

the belly pan was in four major pieces and a couple of minor ones and i was able to save them which will help me make the template for the new bellypan which hopefully won't be too bad.

the floor is in bad shape, however it is still together, so i need to figure out how to make a template. the curved portions of the c-channel are in great shape and are made of a stiffer aluminum. the straight channel pieces are pretty good for the most part but the aluminum is flimsy.

on first inspection, the frame looks to be in good shape. the PO cut a piece out of a couple of the outriggers to make room for a drain pipe but those can be easily replaced. i may add a few more in too.

Name:	belly pan1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	32135 Click image for larger version

Name:	belly pan2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	32136

Name:	channel.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	32137 Click image for larger version

Name:	floor rot.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	32138

Old 04-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
urbanfood, Have you had a chance to work on the FC lately. I haven't touched mine. However hope to get some work done this summer. It's amazing how the critters take over after years and years of the trailer just sitting.
Don
Old 04-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Yep, I've also been wondering how you are doing with your project. An update, if it's not imposing, would be great. And thanks for raising it Don.

Barry