Old 10-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Carrier low profile....won't fit

As mentioned above, I planned to use the same hole used by the Dometic AC. When set into position the carrier was to long aft and hit the center air vent. I decided to bite th bullet and move the opening forward 4 inches. This was done by installing a 2 x 4 across the rear of the opening and then installing an aluminum plate on top of that. Then vulkem and Ceramaflex coating. At the front of the opening I cut a 4 inch extension forward, removed the old wood brace and installed a new 2 x 4 at the new edge. screws, vulkem and ceramaflex again. I used the original wiring for power and drilled a 1/2in hole for a drain line at the aft end. That did not work. I could not fish the tube to the side where I wanted to access the tube to the inside again for its run to the belly thru the cabinet. Another hole at the rear side and the drain line was fed along the brace rib to the longeron (is that a good word for an Airstream?) where I cut a flap access hole to bring the tube into the overheads for its hidden run. Everything buttoned up and looked good.

If it can go wrong....it will.

The 12volt system was inop and the fuse panel had blown fuses. I took a day off.

So.....today I disassembled everything I had done....paying attention to places where I had cut and drilled. Then one at a time I checked for wire conflicts and operation. The the second place I checked....an inspection plate I had used to cover a connection of power to the Fantastic Fan...I could see the problem. When I had screwed the plate down one of the screws pierced the wire connector within the roof space. Dead short.

So tomorrow I have to reinstall the AC and recoat the areas I cut the Ceramaflex for access. I have decided to go from a battery charger system to a converter system while I'm at it.

Be careful with drilling and sharp pointed screws.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
next project

Today is was reinstall the vent covers and aluminum gutter seal screening over the vent openings. That went well.
Next was the awnining rail reinstall. Getting all the old silicone sealant off was the only problem. I used silicone calk remover from Home Depot.....that was a waste of time and money. I ended up with a brass brush and electric drill. DONE. Installed with vulcum and olympics.
Then on to the Marvel fridg. It was held in...tightly...with two screws thru the base plates. After testing it was determined that the thermostat was bad. Am now searching for that. Then I will have a great working Marvel.
I guess I can go back to final compounding with G7 and then the polish out. I am ready.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Marvel fridg

A RANCO thermostat, available for 55 dollars on the WEB...I bought mine local for 77 dollars. (I hate that.) Only three wire connections here...I screwed 'em up. I now know that the light inside will work off the thermostat control. The fridge passed the check out and I am surprised at how well it works....and very quiet.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
seam sealing vs polishing

A new item for my "Things I will never do again" list.

On the Forums, somewhere, I saw a suggested technique of sealing seams before polish. I had never tried that in the past...so something new.
IT SUCKS! I sealed the seams with Par Bond, let it cure for three days and then started to cyclo my final polish. NASTY! Smears everywhere. I have to see how this will turn out. I do not recommend this technique. Par Bond sealing is easy and not messy. A sealing AFTER final polish will not mess up the polish job.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #61
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Hey Robin,

I too used Par Bond for some sealing. I dont like the stuff myself. Once it cures if there is any flex it cracks. That was my experience and I cant imagine buffing over it? Will that really work? Good luck I bet its really starting to look great.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Where in the World is David Winick?

My mystery continues...I ordered one of these from David....vintage airstream and other classic travel trailers
A few months ago, sent in my original, and then....
No way to contact him, no Email responses, no phone contacts...poof...outer space. I am hoping he is O.K. and not ill or something terrible. He has a good a reputation and a great business to just flake out. Does anyone here have info or a way to contact him?
Thanks.....

PS ...I am trying to get this last item so I can take the Cloud to Blanco. I'd hate to show up anywhere with a duct tape patch on the screw holes above the door.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #63
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
My mystery continues...I ordered one of these from David....vintage airstream and other classic travel trailers
No way to contact him, no Email responses, no phone contacts...poof...outer space. I am hoping he is O.K. and not ill or something terrible. He has a good a reputation and a great business to just flake out. Does anyone here have info or a way to contact him?
Thanks.....

PS ...I am trying to get this last item so I can take the Cloud to Blanco. I'd hate to show up anywhere with a duct tape patch on the screw holes above the door.
You can show up at my house with duct tape as long as your dropping it off... I will take care of it...

Old 11-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Believe it or not....I am still trying to figure out the polish problems. I have cycloed with G6 thyen C. Not happy! So, this AM I am starting cyclo with F7 to see if I can get rid of the compounding shadows.....I may deliver to you. I found a REAL NICE Curtis in the foothills out by you.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #65
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Yes.. yes.. dump the airstream here.. go for the Curtis. Clearly a better project!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Bump.....I am still looking.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Thanks.....

Robin, I had two emails from David on Nov.2 so he is around.Steve
Old 11-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
David Winick

Thanks Steve...I still have no response....or eyebrow.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
This part is no longer a mystery

I pulled the outside "porch lite" chrome light fixture off for the polish job. I did think it weird that it had two wires and what appeared to be, and I assumed to be, a two contact 1157 automotive bulb. WRONG! After months of working around the cut off wires, as I reinstalled the fixture I discovered, in an arc light electrical "explosion," that what I had was a 115v light using a very particluar bulb. Could have been a bad experience.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
1978 28' Ambassador
Boerne , Texas
There's a new 56 in Texas . Mine came from Tennessee.

Tags