Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
Aerowood are you out there after meeting you last weekend I am sure this is a problem you have seen in your line of work.
I've been experimenting with a couple of different ideas but have not come up with anything positive yet. I will be gone again tomorrow until the 28th at which time I plan to take some vacation to work on my GT, and will try a couple of different things. I have been collecting a varied assortment of products to experiment with. Levon my have some good ideas also.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Judging by the drip lines and the horizontal "brush" marks, it looks like someone "painted" some acid wash or something on the metal, which "burned" or etched the skin.

Maybe a wetsand approach might be in order... but I'm afraid the alclad may have been harmed in the original wash...
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
my guess...

My best guess is that it was polished and coated with a clear coat of some sort. Then it was stationed on the roof top in Hollywood, CA....close enough to the beach night air to have condensation. That condensation combined with the putrid smog in the area created its own version of acid rain. 10 years of that is giving me a pain. I am now into my second round of sisal wheeled black bar compound application.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #44
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
How's the second round of sisal wheeled black bar compound application going?!

Inquiring minds want to know....

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Quick....Lili is on Skype.

It is 110 f. in the barn today I have taken a break to work on getting hay in the barn....not that that is cooler. I used Nuvite F& and the compound wool pad to see what would come out....a big improvement but still have to do a complete compound again then the Nuvite for two more (at least) times. My Brother left this AM to go back to Calif with his polished Caravel. Wish I was on the road.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
It must be love....

No other reason to endure this polish torture and 100 + high humidity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st compound black with sisal.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	106802   Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd compound wool bonnet and F7.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	106803  

Name:	compounding demo.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	106804   Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd compound F7 and wool bonnet.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	106805  

Old 07-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #47
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Looks really nice....

Old 07-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Thanks Vinnie....I plan a trip to your area with it in October.....a cool month.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #49
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Thanks Vinnie....I plan a trip to your area with it in October.....a cool month.

Great! I will make room for it in the backyard..

Old 07-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
is Novato cool (temperature) ...I need a trip.

HOT. still on the Cyclo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3rd compound F7.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	107735  
Old 07-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #51
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Novato temps are ranging from the mid 50*s at night to the low 80*s during the days. I will make room!

Vin

Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Melody - Now I see your roof story! It's a great tale and a sweet trailer.
NYDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Back to work

The temps finally went below low 100's. Polish on hold while I do some other important pre-polish items.
1st...install Fantastic fan in rear overhead vent sport. I really need advice as to where to access electric power for it. Do I fish on the curb side or toward the lav? Which side of the top bows?
2nd...I pulled the Dometic Breeze Air A/C to replace it with a low profile. Anyone in the DFW area need a real good A/C its available..cheap. This was a real problem to remove. It had been installed with a thick tar/adhesive and then screwed on to the roof from the top...the screws somehow hidden under the evaporator and condenser.
Third...I will seal all seams and paint the center roof area with Ceramaflex white....(Can't see it from the ground.)
I really could use advice on the fan wiring...anybody done it?
Temps back to the cool 90's....back to polish.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
My 60 tradewind had a 110v fan (original) . . . so there's a chance if you can find the wiring that it may not be 12v.

Good Luck. MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #55
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
My 60 tradewind had a 110v fan (original) . . . so there's a chance if you can find the wiring that it may not be 12v.

Good Luck. MarkR
So did my '59 but it was in the center vent opening which is where I put the AC. I haven't searched around the rear vent at all but it is my understanding that the wires should be just on one side or the other of the vent opening. You'll need to drill out the rivets holding on the angle aluminum trim and take a look.

Good luck.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
The mystery never ends..

I put the polish job on hold as I had to finish up putting the Fantastic Fan in and install the new Carrier AC.
The 12 volt wiring access required opening an inspection cover (why it was there I don't know. But it was center roof behind the center vent.) I got the 12v wire leading to the inside ceiling light and branched back to the fan. It required drilling thru one rib. Fan now works great.

AND NOW>>>>I pulled the old Dometic AC out of its mount position....between the center and front vents. Stripped and painted the roof with Ceramiflex. Drilled a hole in the 2 x 4 hole bracing and threaded a 1/2in drain tube down inside the roof to the side, behind the cabinet. Then came back inside and ran the tube inside the cabinets to the big closet, then down to an outlet behind the roadside wheelwell. All good so far. Today I lifted the new Carrier low profile into position (I love a tractor with a loader.) and got ready to install. Guess what? The Carrier is to long to fit the original AC 14 x 14 cutout between the front and center vents. WON'T FIT! I have to fabricate a new mount hole 4 inches forward in order to make it work. Even then it will be close. Tomorrow may bring new revelations.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flying Cloud #8010  side view.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	110835  
Old 10-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Carrier low profile....won't fit

As mentioned above, I planned to use the same hole used by the Dometic AC. When set into position the carrier was to long aft and hit the center air vent. I decided to bite th bullet and move the opening forward 4 inches. This was done by installing a 2 x 4 across the rear of the opening and then installing an aluminum plate on top of that. Then vulkem and Ceramaflex coating. At the front of the opening I cut a 4 inch extension forward, removed the old wood brace and installed a new 2 x 4 at the new edge. screws, vulkem and ceramaflex again. I used the original wiring for power and drilled a 1/2in hole for a drain line at the aft end. That did not work. I could not fish the tube to the side where I wanted to access the tube to the inside again for its run to the belly thru the cabinet. Another hole at the rear side and the drain line was fed along the brace rib to the longeron (is that a good word for an Airstream?) where I cut a flap access hole to bring the tube into the overheads for its hidden run. Everything buttoned up and looked good.

If it can go wrong....it will.

The 12volt system was inop and the fuse panel had blown fuses. I took a day off.

So.....today I disassembled everything I had done....paying attention to places where I had cut and drilled. Then one at a time I checked for wire conflicts and operation. The the second place I checked....an inspection plate I had used to cover a connection of power to the Fantastic Fan...I could see the problem. When I had screwed the plate down one of the screws pierced the wire connector within the roof space. Dead short.

So tomorrow I have to reinstall the AC and recoat the areas I cut the Ceramaflex for access. I have decided to go from a battery charger system to a converter system while I'm at it.

Be careful with drilling and sharp pointed screws.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
next project

Today is was reinstall the vent covers and aluminum gutter seal screening over the vent openings. That went well.
Next was the awnining rail reinstall. Getting all the old silicone sealant off was the only problem. I used silicone calk remover from Home Depot.....that was a waste of time and money. I ended up with a brass brush and electric drill. DONE. Installed with vulcum and olympics.
Then on to the Marvel fridg. It was held in...tightly...with two screws thru the base plates. After testing it was determined that the thermostat was bad. Am now searching for that. Then I will have a great working Marvel.
I guess I can go back to final compounding with G7 and then the polish out. I am ready.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Marvel fridg

A RANCO thermostat, available for 55 dollars on the WEB...I bought mine local for 77 dollars. (I hate that.) Only three wire connections here...I screwed 'em up. I now know that the light inside will work off the thermostat control. The fridge passed the check out and I am surprised at how well it works....and very quiet.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
seam sealing vs polishing

A new item for my "Things I will never do again" list.

On the Forums, somewhere, I saw a suggested technique of sealing seams before polish. I had never tried that in the past...so something new.
IT SUCKS! I sealed the seams with Par Bond, let it cure for three days and then started to cyclo my final polish. NASTY! Smears everywhere. I have to see how this will turn out. I do not recommend this technique. Par Bond sealing is easy and not messy. A sealing AFTER final polish will not mess up the polish job.

Tags