Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
DougsKaro

2006 Base Camp
ventura , California
Question Will a Messerschmitt fit in the Back of the Basecamp?

We are looking for a Toy Hauler for our Microcar. It is 8.5 feet long and 4 ft wide and about 4 feet tall. I really like the basecamp on-line, but haven't seen one in person. I've looked at several sites to see the inside dimensions, but can't find any. So, all you owners out there - will a 8.5 ft x 4 ft wide microcar fit in there?
Thanks Doug
Karo_175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Yes, but you have to remove the propeller, machine guns and any ordinance first.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Yes, but you have to remove the propeller, machine guns and any ordinance first.

Jim
ha! and the swastika should be removed also.

Just use it as the tow vehicle.......
Attached Images

safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Aha! I rode in a Messerschmitt back about 1959 courtesy of a family friend who really had a thing for unusual automobiles. I was awed by the tricycle wheels and front-and-back seating. Prior to that, all of us kids got a ride in his Isetta.

You'd be lucky to fit a moped in a Basecamp. Airstream did try out a 34' toy hauler a couple years back but discontinued it after very few models sold.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
DougsKaro

2006 Base Camp
ventura , California
Micro Messerchmitt

No propeller, no machine gun, but we'll keep the ordnance....

Cute car CanoeStream! Looks like something our Karo would eat - Rebbet!

So - really - no go for the car in the basecamp?

Well, I'm bummed.

Well we did find a trailer for the Karo: Micro-Lite Trailers
Old 08-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I would guess it unlikely that the car would fit. But I'd keep searching. Consider this post

a bump
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karo_175 View Post
We are looking for a Toy Hauler for our Microcar. It is 8.5 feet long and 4 ft wide and about 4 feet tall. I really like the basecamp on-line, but haven't seen one in person. I've looked at several sites to see the inside dimensions, but can't find any. So, all you owners out there - will a 8.5 ft x 4 ft wide microcar fit in there?
Thanks Doug
It would fit, but the issue is the rear of the car would be on the rear door/ramp, and it really is not designed to carry much weight. If I recall, I measured about 13 feet of 'square' space for cargo when we had ours, as the front galley curves in at the front... and the rear doors curve out. Somehow you'd need to beef up the drop-down door/ramp, and be able to lift it, and the car, to get it closed. If you removed the front galley, you'd fit it on the floor completely... but then you're basically back to a cargo trailer.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
DougsKaro

2006 Base Camp
ventura , California
The schmitt only weighs less than 300 pounds. The width is 4 feet in the front and less than 2 feet in the rear. The ideal way to load the vehicle would be real end first so the single wheel end could be moved accordingly to dodge anything permanently attached in the trailer.

With the three wheel design that would require three planks or a single wide entry!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karo_175 View Post
The schmitt only weighs less than 300 pounds. The width is 4 feet in the front and less than 2 feet in the rear. The ideal way to load the vehicle would be real end first so the single wheel end could be moved accordingly to dodge anything permanently attached in the trailer.

With the three wheel design that would require three planks or a single wide entry!
How long is it? If you could get all the wheels on the floor, it would be a piece of cake. I've had the drop down door latches fail a number of times - to the point that every time we closed it we used tie-down straps from the pole storage webbing to the door hooks to make sure it stayed up.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Karo_175, I've been wondering how this idea is working out for you. It sure looks like it would be closer than I originally thought.

Interesting -- this old newsreel calls it a 'cabin motorscooter' --

As long as I mentioned the Isetta...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote