Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Edina , Minnesota
Why buy a Base Camp?

I'm not looking start a debate. I'm absolutely curious why people here chose a Base Camp so I can understand what I'm missing out on?

My family looked at the Base Camp, and decided to go with an Alto R1713 by Safari Condo. Similar price points, however, the Alto seems to have numerous advantages in terms of how many it can sleep, total weight, storage size, all aluminum (no wood materials),insurance costs, superior (IMO) floorpan, etc. etc. The biggest short coming is the 18 month wait list due to demand.

I always coveted an Airstream, but when it came time to buy, it just didn't seem to compare and I'd like to know what others love about it.

Make me envious I didn't choose a Base Camp.

Thanks and see you on the road, at parks and out there boondocking.
hrustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have had two Airstreams, excellent trailers in every way, especially tow ability, and excellent value when we sold them. We'll be getting a Basecamp next when the new model bugs are worked out.

We like the design an concept very much, would never consider a pop-top trailer for several reasons, durability of sandwich shell panels compared to aluminum riveted to metal frame on both sides among them. The lack of cross support for top of the pop top walls is questionable. We also like the Basecamp rear departure angle for off-road use, as well as the rear hatch. We like the floor plan, she likes the galley up front with the panoramic windows.

We have never cared for power slides or pop tops, have seen too many stuck in position at campgrounds. The sturdy Airstream riveted shell-on-frame has been around over 80 years, I've seen them intact in rollovers when other designs are scattered about the ditch. We feel very safe in our Airstream when high winds are rocking slide-outs and pop tops around, with owners scrambling to bring the slides in and pop tops down in the heavy thunderstorm.

Not looking for envy, but we have been happy with Airstream and see no reason to experiment with some other brand.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I'm not looking to anger anyone who likes the BaseCamp but, having looked at them... I'm put off. It seems to have all the drawbacks of non-Airstream design and appearance....and all the troubles of modern Airstream (lack of) quality control. It strikes me as the worst of both worlds.

If I wanted a small-scale camper I'd look at the many other good products in the market and consider the BC an overpriced wannabe.

Apologies to proud BC owners....it's just my opinion.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Edina , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We have had two Airstreams, excellent trailers in every way, especially tow ability, and excellent value when we sold them. We'll be getting a Basecamp next when the new model bugs are worked out.

We like the design an concept very much, would never consider a pop-top trailer for several reasons, durability of sandwich shell panels compared to aluminum riveted to metal frame on both sides among them. The lack of cross support for top of the pop top walls is questionable. We also like the Basecamp rear departure angle for off-road use, as well as the rear hatch. We like the floor plan, she likes the galley up front with the panoramic windows.

We have never cared for power slides or pop tops, have seen too many stuck in position at campgrounds. The sturdy Airstream riveted shell-on-frame has been around over 80 years, I've seen them intact in rollovers when other designs are scattered about the ditch. We feel very safe in our Airstream when high winds are rocking slide-outs and pop tops around, with owners scrambling to bring the slides in and pop tops down in the heavy thunderstorm.

Not looking for envy, but we have been happy with Airstream and see no reason to experiment with some other brand.
This is really great insight on a number of factors. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
To be clear, you are asking opinions now for a post hoc analysis just for fun? Why seek to feel "envious" now that your decision has been made?

Seems like as a self described coveter of airstream for a long time, you should have asked us all before you decided

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If I was considering the Basecamp I would carefully review the hundreds of post here about major issues and recalls. Personally if the choice was Basecamp versus any trailer I would consider the Bambi or Oliver. I do not care for the horse hauler looks of the Basecamp and was not impressed with the one I inspected.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I'm don't own either but looked into both. I got a used 2014 FC for not a lot more (relatively) than the Basecamp (though I know the two have different purposes/needs/camping styles). The FC is way more than I need, but I struggled with a Basecamp in the high 30s. I like the storability and utility of the Alto, as well as the price, with list price being nearly $10,000 less than Basecamp.

If I were in the market for a 'tiny' style trailer I'd def put the Alto ahead of the BC, but that's the only time I'd put another brand above an Airstream (i.e. would not consider any other brand for a full-size trailer.)
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Since no one that replied so far actually has a Basecamp, I'll jump in. Some of the reasons we picked the Basecamp were already mentioned...one being it's an Airstream, and despite the problems with the roll-out, Airstream is taking care of them. I like the versatility of the floor plan and the extra floor space when the bed is not folded down. I love the rear door - SO EASY to load up before a trip without going up and down the steps. It is easy to tow with my existing SUV. The windows in the galley are fantastic. It has good boondocking capability, especially with the solar panels and the higher clearance. We have the optional rear tent, which adds a bit of room also.

That Alto is pretty cute, I'll give it that. I'm not fond of the toilet cabinet situation...you have to sit there out in the open? The BC wet bath isn't huge, but you have some privacy and you can shower. Also the fresh water tank on the Alto is much smaller (15 gallons), and the gray/black tanks together are smaller than the black water tank on the BC.

I'll stick with the Basecamp (I love it)...but it's a personal choice, to each his/her own.
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
I have Basecamp "Luna Sea", I wouldn't have anything else. She is my 4th Airstream. Ease of use, diversity, there is nothing else like it. I especially like all the big windows and the 2 doors, she is good looking to my eye. I have a great dealer in Foley Airstream( Thank-you Joesph and Ron ), they have an awesome Service department ( Thank-you Blake and Jesse and June) so no worries, I have never had a "perfect AS" but I have had 4 perfected .....
Jazgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I'm not looking to anger anyone who likes the BaseCamp but, having looked at them... I'm put off. It seems to have all the drawbacks of non-Airstream design and appearance....and all the troubles of modern Airstream (lack of) quality control. It strikes me as the worst of both worlds.

If I wanted a small-scale camper I'd look at the many other good products in the market and consider the BC an overpriced wannabe.

Apologies to proud BC owners....it's just my opinion.
The Basecamp basic shape is actually based on the 1930's Airstream. Attached is a picture of one of the oldest existing Airstreams, a 1935 Torpedo now in the the Jack Sizemore RV museum in Amarillo, TX. The window placements are different but there is a similarity in shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09270595.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	287731  
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The basecamp looks amaze-balls

That Alta looks fine but in many years with proper care I bet the basecamp will be the winner.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Sulphur , Oklahoma
I had never seen the safari before reading this. I really like them. Very very nice
Dennisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
My impression is the Base Camp is a halo to the brand and it meant to primarly get people to the dealership. Well desiged, eye catching and innovative - like a concept car. They do sell them and I’ve seen a few on the road but I have to believe that the market is pretty narrowly defined. Having the wet bath in the new model is a plus but it’s still a tent substitute and in my opinion is primarily usable for one person maybe with a small dog along ...
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Fort Walton Beach , Florida
In the Safari Condo isn't the toilet in the middle of the kitchen? I thought it was and wouldn't like that. I love my Basecamp
ToddA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Aston , Pennsylvania
I'm considering the Basecamp for weekend adventures and like the fact that I can take a shower after a day of mountain biking or jumping... even though its a wet bath, its not an external shower. If you camp at campgrounds, perhaps that's a non-starter for you, but its a big attraction of the Basecamp for me. I want to take it places that don't provide showers.
BASE729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASE729 View Post
I'm considering the Basecamp for weekend adventures and like the fact that I can take a shower after a day of mountain biking or jumping... even though its a wet bath, its not an external shower. If you camp at campgrounds, perhaps that's a non-starter for you, but its a big attraction of the Basecamp for me. I want to take it places that don't provide showers.

There is a pass-through door for the shower in the Basecamp, so if outdoor showering is your thing, it is there for you! I have used it to rinse off - works well.
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #17

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Edina , Minnesota
No, the toilet is on the opposite side from the kitchen.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:16 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Why buy a Base Camp?

Because you believe you are buying the best hand-made trailer lovingly built with the best possible materials by true-trained and certified other-worldly skilled old-school craftsmen who care about nothing more than doing a perfect job so that your trailering will be joyous and absolutely trouble-free. You indulge yourself in the top-of-the-line appliances, bubble-free dry flooring, perfectly designed seals and doorjams, and rest easy knowing you're 100% completely sealed from the elements around you, safe in your Airstream aluminum as you are in your own skin. The fit and finish are 2nd to none; SOB owners cry in vain at the sight of you going outside in a blinding rainstorm at 2am just to gaze in awe at your own Airstream nestled in the trees, your bedclothes seemingly pre-soaked before you venture out into the rainy night. You buy a Base Camp because you will settle for nothing but the absolute best, with attention to detail in all the nooks and crannies that no one will ever even see-but YOU know that if you wanted to eat an egg salad sandwich off of the floor under sink...you could. You travel the highways in perfect bliss, because you know you've spent a goodly portion of the cost of a house on the true wandering soul of a spirit encapsulated in a silver bullet home on wheels, striking envy in the hearts of all RVers, knowing that Jackson Center has your back at every turn. Buying a Base Camp doesn't make an Airstream belong to YOU, it makes YOU belong to that Airstream. Forever. THAT'S why you buy a Base Camp.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Thank you for posting the Torpedo picture. What a gem that is.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote