Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #21
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
I'm a single and for a tire change I use blocks and a scissor .... use extra support to the frame if you plan on going under it at all!!
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I have used this one for our Classic, It came with our Suburban.

Why not use this one on your Basecamp?, it came with your FJ.

Bob
Old 11-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
I use an Anderson RAPID JACK |Easy RV or Trailer Leveling Jack | Doubles as Jack, Wheel Holder, Jack Post Block, Pad Block, and Wheel Chock. Will raise the flat tire on a tandem axle trailer, safe, no hydraulic jack necessary. I also use it to level the trailer when not needed as a jack.

FROM AMAZON:

YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND: The Rapid Jack is your new best friend when it comes to fixing a flat tire or removing a wheel on your multi-axle or dually truck!
HOW IT WORKS: Simply place the Rapid Jack under the closest good tire and drive up! Your flat tire is off the ground and ready to be changed in just seconds. Yep - it's the FASTEST Jack around - that's why it's called "RAPID"!
WHAT ELSE IT CAN DO: The Rapid Jack is so versatile! It can also double as a jack wheel holder, a jack post block, a pad block (for stabilizer legs), and even doubles as a wheel chock!
LIGHTWEIGHT AND BUILT TO LAST: The Rapid Jack weighs only 6 lbs and is 17" long, 6" wide, and 7" tall. Built tough and build to last... MADE IN THE USA!
KEEPS YOU CLEAN: The Rapid Jack is so simple and "hands off" that it helps keep you and your clothes clean! It also can help keep itself clean by resisting dirt, grease, and oil!

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...derson+leveler
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeddie58 View Post
I have the trailer aid works like advertised
Has anyone tried making a TrailerAid out of a interlocking collection of Lynx Levelers . I'd rather not store a large special thing like a Trailer Aid on the off chance I have a flat.

Alternately the seems smaller. Anyone tried that?
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Kamloops , British Columbia
Though I have not tried this on my airstream I see no reason why it would not work. I have done this many times with my tandem axle 30' horse trailer. Place 3 pieces of 2x8 of staggered lengths one on the other to build a ramp just in front of the target wheel. You tow the trailer enough so the affected wheel will move up the ramp. The bottom board should be about 5-6 foot long and the top board about 2 ft. You position the trailer so that only the good wheel will be supported and the other wheel will hang clear so you can remove the wheel etc. No jacking required. You can experiment to position the middle board to give enough clearance without making the ramp too steep. You can buy a ramp if you want. See YouTube videos: e.g.: .
I have always used loose boards but you can build fancy if you want.
tadpoletim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
I apologize for the other members not reading that you have a Basecamp with only one axle, so most of these suggestions will not work for your application.
I suggest:
1. Set your tongue jack a the highest point possible.
2. Place 2 wheel chocks around the "good tire" to immobilize the AS.
3. Use a block to raise the bottle jack to just under the rear lift point behind the axle and carefully raise the jack until the flat tire is 1 " off of the ground.
4. Remove the wheel and repair the flat, while the wheel is removed, place a jack stand under the hub to support in case anything happens.
5. Replace the wheel and reverse the instructions.
6. VERY IMPORTANT!!!!- re-torque the lug nuts to factory specs-DO NOT OVERTIGHTERN, this is worse than too loose.
7. Happy Airstreaming!
It may go without saying for most folks who have changed tires, but it is important to insert the following between steps 2 and 3 above: Loosed lug nuts BEFORE raising the tire from the ground. And then Step 5 would include tightening the lug nuts after the wheel is on the ground.

Glad to see the importance of torquing the lug nuts properly. Of course this assumes you have a torque wrench and know the specs for your particular wheel. Aluminum and steel are different torque specs on my AS. And the spare is usually different (steel) than the replaced wheel with the flat (alloy).
Old 11-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
If you consider a bottle jack have a socket welded to the frame between the axles. that will accept the bottle jack head and keep it from slipping off the frame while jacked up.

That is SUCH a great idea! It would also help prevent anyone from putting the jack in the wrong place! This should go in the AS Features Update thread or whatever it's called. [emoji3]

Love it!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #28
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I have used this one for our Classic, It came with our Suburban.

Why not use this one on your Basecamp?, it came with your FJ.

Bob

Bob,

We're on the same page. Mine is just from a one ton. Base is bigger and each has a swivel saddle. Nice thing is you're already carrying it and it's up to the task of your tow vehicle with a load. Good choice.

I just saw the result of a bottle jack that started to slip off the frame, not real nice but no damage just a bit ugly.

Gary.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Bob,

We're on the same page. Mine is just from a one ton. Base is bigger and each has a swivel saddle. Nice thing is you're already carrying it and it's up to the task of your tow vehicle with a load. Good choice.

I just saw the result of a bottle jack that started to slip off the frame, not real nice but no damage just a bit ugly.

Gary.
Yep....the only other jack-thing we carry is a 2500lb scissor jack to support the tongue when we put the flag-pole base under the jack plate.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1421.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	972.8 KB
ID:	299903  
Old 11-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Another vote for trailer aid. I have only used it once, but it worked great!

WBCCI #8996
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
Another vote for trailer aid. I have only used it once, but it worked great!

Trailer Aid won't help the OP who has a single axle trailer. For double/triple axle, can't beat the TA.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Okay, one more time for the people that can't/won't read:

THE ORIGINAL POSTER HAS A SINGLE-AXLE TRAILER. ANYTHING THAT USES A SECOND AXLE TO LIFT THE FLAT TIRE IS USELESS TO HIM.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Okay, one more time for the people that can't/won't read:

THE ORIGINAL POSTER HAS A SINGLE-AXLE TRAILER. ANYTHING THAT USES A SECOND AXLE TO LIFT THE FLAT TIRE IS USELESS TO HIM.
My mistake, I picked up the thread midstream and did not start at the beginning.

WBCCI #8996
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:45 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
Ok, one more time for those who can’t or won’t read, the thread name is “what jack do YOU use to change a flat,” not “what jack should I use.”
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:02 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Will the Anderson levellers (not their rapid Jack product) get the wheel high enough off the ground to change a flat?
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:19 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Jones View Post
Will the Anderson levellers (not their rapid Jack product) get the wheel high enough off the ground to change a flat?

Not on the OP's *single axle* trailer....
Old 11-29-2017, 03:14 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Understood. Just curious if the height is sufficient on the regular levellers, or if more clearance is required. Any help appreciated.
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Milton , Ontario
After two flat ruined new tires when entering Florida on Nov I am getting to be an expert in changing tires. I use a 9 ton bottle jack from Walmart. Under it I use 3 pieces of 2x6 leveled to keep the jack vertical. I am going to make a small jacking plate that will go between the jack stem and the jacking point. It will be a 2”x4” x 3/8” steel with a pipe coupling welded to it that fits over the jack stem. It will have a dimple drilled into it on the top side to fit over the rivet holding the frame jacking plate. I have also stuck red hi visibility reflective tape on the curved underside of the trailer to mark the jacking point on the trailer underside. Makes it easier to find it. I also found if you use a combination of the jack with the trailer tongue jack it works well. I may just invest in one of those plastic wheel changers
Norrie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:53 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I use jack the rosd service guy from my emergemcy road service.!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
What jack do I use? I use the one that came with my truck. It is stowed below the back seat and it is always with me. I use one block on the ground and another block at the jack point. Used it once and it worked just fine. This system fits my "keep it simple" plan. No need to purchase anything extra, no need to find a place to store the new jack and no worries about accidentally leaving it behind.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote