Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2016, 03:04 AM   #241
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There is a world of difference between a level smooth piece of concrete in the showroom and a lumpy non-level camp site.

While the target audience for the base camp has been mentioned as the younger crowd, those that drive a desk all week may not have the strength that those that work in manual labor have. Unfortunately, life takes the bloom of youth away over time and what I could lift and move today at 71 sure is an ever decreasing percentage of what I did without even thinking in my 20s.

One thing that folks need to do is actually lie on those thin multifunction cushions that also serve as the evening mattress. There is certainly lacking storage for a pair of mattress toppers inside the Basecamp unless they were blow-up.

The interior will be great for a minimalist single or couple, but kids would really be a challenge even with the canvas rooms on a rainy day.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #242
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dublin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
One thing that folks need to do is actually lie on those thin multifunction cushions that also serve as the evening mattress. There is certainly lacking storage for a pair of mattress toppers inside the Basecamp unless they were blow-up.

The interior will be great for a minimalist single or couple, but kids would really be a challenge even with the canvas rooms on a rainy day.
I do think this is more of a couples than a family TT. That said my spousal unit and I are in our mid 60's and we are both "smitten" by this trailer. One thing that will help us is that we are moving up from tent camping and we have only previously known sleeping on air mattresses on the ground. On our last camping trip I upgraded my wife's air mattress to a large cushy thermarest and that will be our first attempt at a supplemental surface for the cushions in the basecamp. I think that this will work and I will likely carry the thermarests in our TV as they are so big and fat they do not roll up very easily or very small.
bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #243
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yes indeed, I was just thinking that a good-sized Thermarest would be perfect on top of the basic cushions, should one be needed.

This trailer, while luxurious in some respects relative to a tent or even a pop-up camper, is still much closer to the "camping" end of the spectrum than the "glamping" we do today in our 27FB. You know what? That's cool too. I can't wait to see other folks using these babies out in the woods next time we go camping, and talking with them about their experiences.

"When people show you who they are, believe them the first time." - Maya Angelou

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #244
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
I wished they had gone with full sized cushions, but I suppose the debate had to do with durability. Although, I have a feeling - as evidenced by the progression of this model from the more utilitarian one of old - that they may find more demand for them as time goes on.
Ontario1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #245
2 Rivet Member

Allen , Texas
I think the pads will be okay for me. 5 years in the Navy assigned to a Destroyer sleeping on a 4 inch pad inside a coffin sized rack next to 80 other stinky sailors makes the Basecamp sound like a honeymoon in vegas to me LOL. Hell, half the time we slept on deckplates on our radar rooms using our mustang jackets as a "comforter". I could even splurge and chuck a body pillow in their to help with sleep posture
r1alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #246
2 Rivet Member

Allen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
Should be able to use a Rhino Blaster Pro to clean out the tank and hose.

Also interested in how easy it is to move by using a hand dolly.
I wouldn't count on those devices doing a good job cleaning your tank....but I suppose its better than nothing. Would have been real nice if they just installed a cleanout.

https://youtu.be/dfTd0Slt_cU
r1alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:31 AM   #247
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Wervicq-Sud , FRANCE
Hi everybody,

I'm not sure if you can answer me but in europe, no one has the answer...

Do you know if the Base Camp or a similary from Airstream will be sold in europe ?

Thank you very much
Gaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:39 AM   #248
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Looks like it.

Airstream Germany

http://m.airstream-germany.de/html/wohnwagen.html
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:47 AM   #249
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Wervicq-Sud , FRANCE
Thank you !
I've just had an answer from Airstream France. It can be available on demand at 43.900 euros (around 50.000 USD)
The first AS begin at 85.000 euros (around 100.000 USD)
Gaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #250
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Possible starting point for Basecamp. Airstream Torpedo in 1930.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3150.PNG
Views:	63
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	275800   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3151.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	275802  

Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #251
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Re: "Possible starting point for Basecamp. Airstream Torpedo in 1930", there is no doubt about it. The original designers (at Nissan Design) have publicly credited the Torpedo as their inspiration.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #252
1 Rivet Member

Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I remember reading someone posting on here that the Basecamp doesn't have an inverter. So it can't be used off the grid. I'd go back and find the post but the site is super slow tonight.

I did download the manual for the basecamp and it seems that there is a converter onboard which allows for the USB ports to work off the battery. Am I mistaken? I don't see Airstream sending out a product like this that wouldn't work off grid. Especially if the solar is an option to charge up the batteries during the day.

We are heading to our local dealer to actually try out the bed with the two of us. I'm 6'2 and my wife is 5'10 so we want to make sure that it's got the room for us.

Anyone have anything you want us to take photos of or check out?
denver133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #253
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
If you will be looking at a Basecamp soon...

I would appreciate hearing if the lockable console to the left of the entry as you come in has a 12V cigarette lighter type outlet.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #254
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
An inverter and the ability to camp "off-grid" are two unrelated issues. Basecamp has a converter and it has battery power. So, you can definitely camp off-grid, the only real question is how long the battery will last.

You only need an inverter if you want to turn DC power into AC power, which would be used to power things that must be plugged into a wall socket to work.

Would love to hear your impressions after you look at one!

"When people show you who they are, believe them the first time." - Maya Angelou

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #255
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
[QUOTE=denver133;1879231]

We are heading to our local dealer to actually try out the bed with the two of us. I'm 6'2 and my wife is 5'10 so we want to make sure that it's got the room for us.

Hi Denver133 -- we are particularly curious about: 1) whether or not you fit in the bed crosswise, 2) how fussy is it to "construct" the bed, and 3) how tricky it may be to make the bed.

Thanks......
Old 11-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #256
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
[QUOTE=field & stream;1879419]
Quote:
Originally Posted by denver133 View Post

Hi Denver133 -- we are particularly curious about: 1) whether or not you fit in the bed crosswise, 2) how fussy is it to "construct" the bed, and 3) how tricky it may be to make the bed.

Thanks......
One of the dealer videos shows a fellow who says he is 6'3" lying crosswise about midships about a foot from the bathroom wall. He comments that he has adequate room in this sleeping position.

We went from dinette to bed in a minute or so. Replace the long table legs with the short ones (there is a quick release built into the base in the floor), reset the table tops, unfold two center supports toward each other and rearrange the cushions to fill in the gaps. Oh, there are two boards stored in the streetside overhead bin that come down to fill in the area immediately under the rear door.

We are not going to mess around with trying to make/unmake the bed with sheets, etc. We will use a Superbag with removable sheets.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #257
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Bborzell -- Thanks much. Due to the unusual shape of the bed, we thought something like the Superbag (or sleeping bags) would be the way to go.

We saw that video too but to us it looked like the guys head was against the aluminum wall! The other consideration is that the body tapers in towards the back of the trailer so (like with our original Basecamp) if you are lying sideways in the trailer the bed gets shorter towards the rear.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #258
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Still struggling with the price. Back looking at Socal Teardrops.
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #259
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
Still struggling with the price. Back looking at Socal Teardrops.
If you are comfortable with the more primitive camping of a teardrop, and attracted to the new Basecamp, then maybe the original Basecamp is the one for you. Current pricing is about $20K and not going down.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #260
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
That is exactly the dilemma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
If you are comfortable with the more primitive camping of a teardrop, and attracted to the new Basecamp, then maybe the original Basecamp is the one for you. Current pricing is about $20K and not going down.
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote