Old 10-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Hey, I resemble that!

Still no feedback from the dealers, as requested in Posts #155 and #162, about possible low-point weak links in the design chain, which would be helpful to know about before they snag a boulder or curb IMO.

Since you're the one pushing the issue, perhaps you should go to a dealership and answer the question for yourself, rather than repeating it every few days.

Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:11 AM   #170
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Since you're the one pushing the issue, perhaps you should go to a dealership and answer the question for yourself, rather than repeating it every few days.
I would love to see one in person, but the nearest dealer is a two-day trip away [R/T], and we are not really in the market to buy another new trailer at this time. Having also owned a 25' in the past, the new Basecamp is an intriguing entry into the marketplace, and fills an empty niche, albeit at a hefty price IMO.

Given the unavailability of a nearby Basecamp, it therefore seems fair to ask the dealers to post their observations after receiving their first demo models, even if they need to be reminded a few times. It bears noticing IMO that the two dealers who posted early in this thread have not replied -- after being quoted twice -- to the questions raised.

In my book, a good sales person will honestly acknowledge the limitations of any product, even if it means a sale is less likely. I trust sales people who follow this path, in their dedication to establishing a long-term relationship based on honesty and trust.

Silence is often the first sign of something else, in my personal opinion. I continue to hope that the dealers who showed an early willingness to participate in this thread will reply soon, with their honest assessments of the new Basecamp.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #171
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Dealers and Commercial Members here have restrictions on what they can post on threads outside of Classifieds, so I don't believe that silence in response to your questions should be interpreted as secrecy or the otherwise withholding of information from interested readers.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/misc...ork&page=rules

It would seem to me that the best way for anyone really interested in a Base Camp to get the
full flavor would be to go and look at one, or perhaps call a dealership with questions.

Maggie
Old 10-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #172
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks Maggie, I was not aware of that part of the FAQ.

In the middle of the section on commercial members, however, is this exception which seems to apply to the questions I have asked IMO:

"Commercial Members may not use any section of the forum except the Commercial Posts Forum to discuss their product, service or company unless answering a direct question from another member, and even then may not quote prices outside the Commercial Posts Forum." [emphasis added]

Hopefully the dealers are still monitoring here, and will fill in the requested details about ground clearance, a crucial selling point for the new Basecamp.

Peter
Old 10-16-2016, 07:17 AM   #173
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Personally, I wouldn't belabor the issue, Peter, as I think opening a discussion with the dealers on a thread could be a very slippery slope.

I don't know, just my opinion.

Maggie
Old 10-16-2016, 07:22 AM   #174
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks. I was done with it yesterday morning, after the last dealer "nudge," and was only replying to cameront120 this morning.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #175
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Personaly after honest attempts to contact dealers with questions and not getting answers I would contact Jackson Center directly either by email or phone. They have always been very responsive to any questions that I had.

https://www.airstream.com/service/customer-support/
Old 10-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #176
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
I was the show on Friday and had a look at the Basecamp. Really liked it.

I had a look at the ground clearance and it did seem a little low for what the trailer purports to be, (which is a bit more off road than the others?). The drains appeared to be ABS, so they should take some abuse. But I'm new to RV's so I don't know how that works.

The exposed copper propane line was a but more of a concern actually. I'm sure it's legal, but a conduit shield over it would make me feel better.

They had just received the unit, and the salespeople were still familiarizing themselves with it, so I'm not sure you would get much of an answer regrading the undercarriage even if you were to ask them. It may be better to contact Airstream directly about that.

I really liked how it was laid out. Some may want a little thicker cushioning on the bed/benches though.

I come from sailing a small 27 cruising boat, where I much prefer to sleep and wake up in the larger salon area than the v berth. I like the light in the morning and the feeling of not being cocooned. This was one of the aspects of the Basecamp that had me hooked over the Bambi 16. Very open and airy! Love the fact you could leave the back and side door open with screens for ventilation and the sounds of the outside while sleeping/waking.

The rear door did not appear to have a latch to keep it open, relying on a bit of gravity instead. It would probably slam shut in a cross breeze. There may be a latch that I was unaware of.

Overall I loved it. My only wish was for a little more ground clearance.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:47 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
FYI there is a new video on the Fans thread, and it shows the dump valve and rear corner skid plates a little better per my recent post there:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...mp-157390.html

FYI
Old 10-16-2016, 05:04 PM   #178
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario1 View Post

The exposed copper propane line was a but more of a concern actually. I'm sure it's legal, but a conduit shield over it would make me feel better.
Propane lines are run outside the trailer because you don't want them leaking inside the trailer. My '72 (and other Airstreams even older than mine) still had the original copper propane line running nearly the full length of its underside with no issues. Some people will cover them with a protective sleeve of some description, but I've not witnessed anything indicating it's really necessary.
Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #179
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Cover the copper tubing with wire loom used on cars and trucks and available at any auto parts store.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #180
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
What would be a reasonable lead time for delivery of a new one? I've heard anything from 6 months to 1 year, which is a pretty broad range, although I do understand this is a new model for them and hard to anticipate demand.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #181

Currently Looking...
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario1 View Post
What would be a reasonable lead time for delivery of a new one? I've heard anything from 6 months to 1 year, which is a pretty broad range, although I do understand this is a new model for them and hard to anticipate demand.
We put down the refundable deposit to hold our name on the waitlist at Airstream Adventures NW. Unfortunately, I think the answer to this one is "it depends". My sense is that they'll start delivering them around the holidays, and I don't know how many they'll produce monthly. The bigger dealers get more inventory, so it might depend on where you go to purchase yours. In order to get a specific delivery date, I think we have to put down another 500 and then it becomes non-refundable. We're waiting to do that until we can get over to the showroom and take a look in person.

We're a family of 4 (5 really, but the oldest is out of the house) with boys that are 10 and 12. This is the bridge for us between tent camping and taking your house on the road. We still like to camp, but really like the idea of having most of the camping essentials in a neat, mobile package where you can sleep up off the ground but don't limit your destinations too much based on the size/accessibility of camping spots. The boys will sleep on cots in one of the side tents. We understand that we could get this in a pop up trailer for much less, but consider this a gateway for us into a larger airstream in the future. It seems like AS put a lot of thought into the BC, and we're hopeful that it works out for us.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #182
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Thanks Hose,

It's a great little trailer. I wasn't expecting to like it so much until I saw it in person.