Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #181

Currently Looking...
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario1 View Post
What would be a reasonable lead time for delivery of a new one? I've heard anything from 6 months to 1 year, which is a pretty broad range, although I do understand this is a new model for them and hard to anticipate demand.
We put down the refundable deposit to hold our name on the waitlist at Airstream Adventures NW. Unfortunately, I think the answer to this one is "it depends". My sense is that they'll start delivering them around the holidays, and I don't know how many they'll produce monthly. The bigger dealers get more inventory, so it might depend on where you go to purchase yours. In order to get a specific delivery date, I think we have to put down another 500 and then it becomes non-refundable. We're waiting to do that until we can get over to the showroom and take a look in person.

We're a family of 4 (5 really, but the oldest is out of the house) with boys that are 10 and 12. This is the bridge for us between tent camping and taking your house on the road. We still like to camp, but really like the idea of having most of the camping essentials in a neat, mobile package where you can sleep up off the ground but don't limit your destinations too much based on the size/accessibility of camping spots. The boys will sleep on cots in one of the side tents. We understand that we could get this in a pop up trailer for much less, but consider this a gateway for us into a larger airstream in the future. It seems like AS put a lot of thought into the BC, and we're hopeful that it works out for us.
hose91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #182
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Thanks Hose,

It's a great little trailer. I wasn't expecting to like it so much until I saw it in person.
Ontario1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:35 PM   #183
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
Southland RV in Norcross, GA just got a basecamp today!
Jhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:05 PM   #184
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Electrical power availability

We have put in a refundable deposit on a Basecamp mainly to stay in the queue. Looking to get some questions answered before diving all in.

The Airstream web site lists a 1000W inverter. Also lists cable and sat TV. The brochure lists those features but has a hash tag (-) instead of STD or OPT. Dealer says no inverter from the factory and that no TV wiring as in web site is wrong.

Since the Basecamp is marketed as a back country/off grid trailer, it seems odd that none of the electrical outlets or USB outlets work unless you are hooked to shore power. I'm hoping that the interior lights are on 12 volt. Maybe the battery is for the water pump only🙄.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:11 AM   #185
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
We have put in a refundable deposit on a Basecamp mainly to stay in the queue. Looking to get some questions answered before diving all in.

The Airstream web site lists a 1000W inverter. Also lists cable and sat TV. The brochure lists those features but has a hash tag (-) instead of STD or OPT. Dealer says no inverter from the factory and that no TV wiring as in web site is wrong.

Since the Basecamp is marketed as a back country/off grid trailer, it seems odd that none of the electrical outlets or USB outlets work unless you are hooked to shore power. I'm hoping that the interior lights are on 12 volt. Maybe the battery is for the water pump only🙄.
I would hoped the USB ports would at least work off 12 volt. That's disappointing.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:57 AM   #186
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
The USB ports should not require an inverter so I'd be surprised if those only work with shore power or generator. The lights definitely will work on battery only.

We had a deposit on a basecamp and waited to see one. Came in to dealership and we were disappointed. Something about seeing it in person made us realize it is just not as functional or practical as the Sport, so we're getting a 2017 22 ft Sport instead! Your mileage may vary. Goood luck!
Jhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:10 AM   #187
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhess View Post
The USB ports should not require an inverter so I'd be surprised if those only work with shore power or generator. The lights definitely will work on battery only.

We had a deposit on a basecamp and waited to see one. Came in to dealership and we were disappointed. Something about seeing it in person made us realize it is just not as functional or practical as the Sport, so we're getting a 2017 22 ft Sport instead! Your mileage may vary. Goood luck!
Welcome to the forum! Glad you saw one and made a choice good for you. Did you notice the skid plates which stick down under the rear corners, near the spare tire? Wondering if -- in your judgement -- they could be snagged by a high rock, curb, etc.? Are they designed to break away easily if they catch something? Also the dump valve in front of the street-side wheel -- does that look like about the safest location, even if boondocking?

Thanks, and have fun with the new 22' Sport! We recently got our Flying Cloud 20' for similar reasons.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #188
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 19' International
Santa Margarita , California
Electrical on the Basecamp

I asked our rep about both these questions and here is his answer:

Does the Basecamp come with a cable or satellite TV connection?
No. With the target buyer for the basecamp and the growth of “on demand” video & audio it was determined not to install an external cable of satellite connection. That’s also why there is no television and radio in the unit. The unit is supplied with a Bose portable speaker. It connects via Bluetooth to pads, phones, etc.

Does the Basecamp come with a 1000 watt sine wave inverter?
It does not have an inverter or the capacity to install same. It does have a converter.

He went on to say that he agreed the brochure might be a little difficult to understand, and he was going to pass that on.
Santa Margarita, CA
works at SkyRiver Airstream Paso Robles
www.facebook.com/CentralCoastAirstream/
www.facebook.com/AirstreamSB/
ellenbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #189
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenbelle View Post

No. With the target buyer for the basecamp and the growth of “on demand” video & audio it was determined not to install an external cable of satellite connection. That’s also why there is no television and radio in the unit. The unit is supplied with a Bose portable speaker. It connects via Bluetooth to pads, phones, etc.

It does not have an inverter or the capacity to install same. It does have a converter.

He went on to say that he agreed the brochure might be a little difficult to understand, and he was going to pass that on.
Thanks Ellen. What is a 'converter'?
Old 10-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #190
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Video - New Base Camp Unveiling

Great info. I think your rep is pretty much correct. I hang out online (outside this forum) with a bunch of (much!) younger full-timers and boondockers, some of whom also have Airstreams of various sizes. They have zero use for cable or satellite TV. Any DVDs they used to own have long since been converted to digital form so they don't need to power a DVD player. Their computer / TV monitors run on 12 volts. Power supplies for their laptops run on 12 volts. Most have some form of an "unlimited" wireless data plan (e.g. the cap for a VZW UDP appears to be roughly 200GB). They power everything possible via 12 volts and use inverters infrequently (e.g. Inverting is a huge battery suck and they studiously avoid doing so whenever possible). Nearly all of them also have large solar installations (e.g. 400-800 watts), many have lithium battery banks, and most of them have generators as backup...but only as backup.

So, if you cast that forward into a basecamp, which is not something you'd see folks living in full time, I'd say Airstream kinda figured it out for that audience. Good job not putting in a bunch of features for which they would have little use. Folks here who want a basecamp with an inverter and cable / satellite TV connections are not the target market, and there's a good reason for that. With respect to this particular unit, you are severely outnumbered. You should go get a nice small Airstream Bambi or Sport, or if you're handy (or know a good RV mechanic), hack in the features you want.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #191
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario1 View Post
Thanks Ellen. What is a 'converter'?
A converter converts AC power (from plugging in) to DC, for charging and running DC appliances.

An inverter converts DC power (from batteries) to AC, for running AC appliances.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #192
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
In the context of Airstream trailers, the "converter" usually also charges the batteries, in case that is not clear Ontario1.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenbelle View Post

In contrast to your last sentence above, ellenbelle, there is nothing difficult to understand on the AS company site for the new Basecamp IMO.

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...camp/features/

Under Exterior Features in the right column is says "STD" [for Standard IMO] for both Cable and Satellite TV hookups.

Further down under Interior Features, again in the right column, it says a "1000 Watt Pure Sine Inverter" is STD.

Perhaps you could double-check on these specifications. If the online specs and the brochure differ, the company should correct the conflict ASAP.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

Peter
Old 10-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Perhaps you could double-check on these specifications. If the online specs and the brochure differ, the company should correct the conflict ASAP.
Peter
I politely suggest you call Airstream directly to tell them of your concerns WRT their marketing material.

She's just telling us what she learned by speaking directly with Airstream, and I appreciate her sharing what she learned.

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #195
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
She also works for an AS dealer, so it would be helpful for her to stay in the loop on this issue IMO, and help to correct any inaccuracies in the AS literature.

ellenbelle also referred to talking with "our rep" suggesting that he/she was perhaps in-house at the dealer, or yes maybe with the AS sales force.

In either case, further clarification of possible inaccuracies would be appreciated, Ellen.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 10-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #196
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
She also works for an AS dealer, so it would be helpful for her to stay in the loop on this issue IMO, and help to correct any inaccuracies in the AS literature.

ellenbelle also referred to talking with "our rep" suggesting that he/she was perhaps in-house at the dealer, or yes maybe with the AS sales force.

In either case, further clarification of possible inaccuracies would be appreciated, Ellen.

Thanks,

Peter
Good lord, you do like to delegate, don't you?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #197

Quote:

Thanks,

Peter

Yes, of course, Ellen works at an Airstream dealer, but as you're not buying a rig from her, she does not work for you. Neither does anybody else on this forum. Delegation will not work here.

Also, from my years in customer-focused organizations I can tell you that management generally listens to potential customers far more closely then they do to their own employees and affiliates (e.g. Dealers). So, the best way for you to get this "fixed" is to get on the phone or email to Jackson Center and tell them exactly what you think. (Same for your concerns about the Basecamp's skid plates and sewage connections, btw.)

So, given how important this is to you, I again respectfully suggest you contact Airstream directly about your concerns and questions, and let us know what happens.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Just asking a poster, who works for an Airstream dealer, to clarify a possible inaccuracy in her Post #188, that's all. Seems like a fairly simple request that ellenbelle would want to correct, if needed.

She has a direct connection to Airstream and can resolve this apparent inconsistency far more efficiently than someone who is an unknown to the company.

[??? PS -- Isn't this rather obvious ???]

Old 10-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #199

Video - New Base Camp Unveiling

Quote:
[??? PS -- Isn't this rather obvious ???]

Sorry, no. I explained above why it can often more effective when a potential customer calls directly to press the point on a particular issue. Again, if you care deeply about this, it is really on you to reach out to the company vs. complaining about it here and asking others to fix it for you.

BTW, once you've spoken to them, I'm quite confident folks here will be interested to know what you have learned and accomplished.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:58 PM   #200
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Just spoke to Airstream customer service.

The web site features list is in error. There are no TV hookups, no inverter and no never lube axle feature.

In addition, the USB charge ports that are not on the galley counter are directly run off the 12v system. The USB ports at the base of the two 110v receptacles on the galley stalks might be hooked up to the shore power circuit only. That question is still being checked out.

As for a retro inverter install, that would require installation of additional dedicated inverter to 110V recepticles as the current 110V recepticles are set up for shore power only and Airstream does not recommend including any switching mechanism that would allow the shore power 110V recepticles to swap from shore to inverter.

Just to be clear, my original question about the existence of any or all of the features in question was specifically related to the fact that the Airstream web site described the features in a manner that was not consistent with what the dealer beleved to be the case. Since the "Features" had been on the web site for some time, it was unfortunate that no one at AS had followed through with the later decision to omit several listed features by updating the product listing on the web site.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote