Old 01-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Best of luck to you, Gail, may you have smooth roads and fair skies from here on.

If I may point out to the community here that what seems to be at the heart of the issue with the BC is not QC, strictly and narrowly defined, but with something much worse, engineering and design, with is both far more egregious and harder to fix.

If it were merely a series of flaws in assembly, then that is a problem with a relatively quick and easy remedy.

Rather the whole BC fiasco shines a harsh and unforgiving light on the engineering and/or management teams at Jackson Center. When giving birth to a new product, the mantra in engineering circles is "Design, Build, TEST" It seems the unfortunate BC customers were the unwitting test program, only they had to pay an exorbitant and un-reimbursed fee in order to participate.

Shame on AS engineering for failing to design a trailer that would handle the off-road conditions for which is was (CLEARLY NOT) designed.

Shame on AS engineering for designing the fridge to be installed in a location which would not provide adequate ventilation and in the IR heat of the sun.

Shame on AS engineering for selection of materials and inadequate assembly techniques that do not hold up even on highways, much less off-road.

Shame on AS engineering for designing doors and windows (both interior and exterior) that bow, flex and fail after a few trips.

Shame on AS management for deciding to put out such a pile of crap (and that is, admittedly, an insult to perfectly good crap which can serve a useful purpose as fertilizer, at least) without more rigorous and complete testing first.

Shame on AS management for continuing to market, promote and sell to unsuspecting customers a vehicle with KNOWN, but UNDISCLOSED issues for which you still lack a working remedy.

Shame on AS management for doing everything necessary and sufficient to tarnish the brand name of Airstream and putting the company itself at risk of alienating an entire generation (or two) of customers, AND PERHAPS even bring down the whole company.

At least the new facilities currently under construction include a product testing lab, something that should have been there lo these past decades. Will it be enough, or too little, too late?

You folks may disagree, but I must admit it felt good to get that off my chest.

Well said. I agree with almost everything in your post, with one major exception. I've found it's a bit harder to insult a pile of crap than you imply.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***
Sad to see you leave ... not taking any bets on how long before you are back ...!

mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #17
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
After touring my Airstream, when new, my daughter-in-law said it made her SOB look like it was made of cardboard. I guess things can go both ways in today's technology and engineering changing environment. However, I believe aluminum will always be better, or at least look better than cardboard.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
After touring my Airstream, when new, my daughter-in-law said it made her SOB look like it was made of cardboard. I guess things can go both ways in today's technology and engineering changing environment. However, I believe aluminum will always be better, or at least look better than cardboard.
guskmg
I agree with your daughter-in-law. There are a ton of bright shiney new trailers that are barely better than the playhouse my brother and I made from the cardboard box for the family's new GE dryer in the 1950s. It lasted almost 5 months, then was burned on the trash pile.

Why is the 95% of the industry a haven for such shoddy work? Answer - most people dream of having an RV and buy one without testing the water.... two to five outings later, the thing sits in the yard til it rots.

Airstream cutter mohos, and the double deckers were probably even bigger flops than the Basecamp or Nest which is also circling the drain. What amazes me is that the new basecamps are as crappy as version 1. Why do it over?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:35 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Airstream cutter mohos, and the double deckers were probably even bigger flops than the Basecamp or Nest which is also circling the drain. What amazes me is that the new basecamps are as crappy as version 1. Why do it over?
A good question. I think the idea of BaseCamp, i.e. a rugged, lightweight, versatile camper one can take off road, is a sound one and would fill a need in the market. But the execution was beyond inept.

How much of this was Thor's desire to do it as cheaply as possible while leaning on the Airstream brand's (arguably undeserved) reputation for quality?

What I find frustrating is that there are materials and components already developed in the camping and marine industry (Hi-tech fabrics, carabiners, coosa board, carbon fibre poles, etc) that would potentially make a killer remote camping trailer, but seem to have been completely overlooked and ignored in the design of the BC.

Indeed, it begs the question: does AS even have an engineering dept? with real engineers who learned basic engineering from accredited schools, and use, like, you know, math to calculate loads and stuff?

Or rather does it appear that what AS did was assign some guys to see if they could build a cool looking trailer like the one Nissan originally designed with stuff they already had lying around.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:36 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, "RV" means Recreational Vehicle; Did you buy a MOTORHOME?
Yes Rich, the Winnebago 4 x 4 Revel.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
A good question. I think the idea of BaseCamp, i.e. a rugged, lightweight, versatile camper one can take off road, is a sound one and would fill a need in the market. But the execution was beyond inept.

How much of this was Thor's desire to do it as cheaply as possible while leaning on the Airstream brand's (arguably undeserved) reputation for quality?

What I find frustrating is that there are materials and components already developed in the camping and marine industry (Hi-tech fabrics, carabiners, coosa board, carbon fibre poles, etc) that would potentially make a killer remote camping trailer, but seem to have been completely overlooked and ignored in the design of the BC.

Indeed, it begs the question: does AS even have an engineering dept? with real engineers who learned basic engineering from accredited schools, and use, like, you know, math to calculate loads and stuff?

Or rather does it appear that what AS did was assign some guys to see if they could build a cool looking trailer like the one Nissan originally designed with stuff they already had lying around.
Everything you said here is so true. I really questioned where the heck did the AS 'engineers' get their degree!?!?! Too much double stick tape in that thing and the refrigerator!?!?!? AS just continued to say that problems were 'isolated', and not AS's problem. Three windows flying off, isn't isolated. Maybe they are addressing that now. I just gave up. Sad, because I loved the thing!!!!
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Best of luck with any future RV. And have Great trips. Sometimes these threads remind me of the story "The Emperor That Had New Clothes"??
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #23
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
So disappointing to have to go this route. That said, we probably would have done the same, given your experiences with your Basecamp. Can't say we blame you one bit. Best wishes for carefree travel, camping, and revels in your new Revel!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott59 View Post
First off, a Base Camp is an RV, all travel trailers, 5th wheels, and motor homes are Recreation Vehicles.
I also need to inform that most RVís, including Winnebago are not built as well as Airstreams.
I think your in for a rude awakening.
I really hope you didn't mean your comment the way I interpreted it. I'm sure there are many happy Winnebago (and other brands) owners as well as many happy Airstream owners. Conversely I'm sure there are unhappy owners of the many different RV brands. To label most RV brands as inferior to Airstreams is a statement of opinion (which you are entitled too). It wasn't necessary to demean the choice made by the OP. I understand the OP's frustration and ultimate desire to camp in something deemed more reliable.

Susan

sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote