Old 09-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
San Diego , California
Tow Vehicle for Base Camp

Hi! We are new to using a trailer, although we have been car camping and backpacking for years. It's just getting too hard to get dressed and climb out of the tent in the middle of the night when nature calls.

We just bought our first trailer (2018 Basecamp), and we are looking for advice on a vehicle to tow the trailer. We have been looking at mid-size SUVs (Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Kia Sorento) with all-wheel drive and dealer-installed tow package, but one of our friends with experience towing trailers has warned us that he doesn't feel such vehicles are adequate for towing a trailer. What kind of vehicles have you found that are great for towing this trailer? Thanks for your help!

seshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
The Basecamp tops out at 3500lbs, I believe, any mid size SUV should be fine, just check the ratings. Maybe a nice 4 door Jeep Wrangler..

Old 09-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Those would be fine. Definitely install a brake controller and a weight distributing hitch and you'll be golden.
trd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Loveland , Colorado
We have a 2015 Highlander with tow package and a 2017 Basecamp. Weve had no problems going over Rabbit Ears pass in Colorado, or traveling across Death Valley.
Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy!
Camperjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by seshields View Post
Hi! We are new to using a trailer, although we have been car camping and backpacking for years. It's just getting too hard to get dressed and climb out of the tent in the middle of the night when nature calls.

We just bought our first trailer (2018 Basecamp), and we are looking for advice on a vehicle to tow the trailer. We have been looking at mid-size SUVs (Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Kia Sorento) with all-wheel drive and dealer-installed tow package, but one of our friends with experience towing trailers has warned us that he doesn't feel such vehicles are adequate for towing a trailer. What kind of vehicles have you found that are great for towing this trailer? Thanks for your help!
Rear wheel/all wheel drive vehicles with a robust transmission and driveline are best. The Sorrento is, I believe, front wheel/all wheel and I would avoid it.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by seshields View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperjen View Post
We have a 2015 Highlander with tow package and a 2017 Basecamp. We’ve had no problems going over Rabbit Ears pass in Colorado, or traveling across Death Valley.
Welcome! You should have lots of tow options for a tidy, light-weight package like the Basecamp.

How has your fridge been working? You don't mention any problem, so I'm wondering if a fix has been implemented for the problems others have reported here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperjen View Post
We have a 2015 Highlander with tow package and a 2017 Basecamp. Weve had no problems going over Rabbit Ears pass in Colorado, or traveling across Death Valley.

Thanks for your encouragement! We are looking forward to years of great travel! Also, did you ask about our experience with the refrigerator? We have not tried it yet, as we don't have a tow vehicle. We could try it in the driveway, I suppose. . . .I gather that there is an issue with the refrigerator; I've seen several references to it in the forum.

Thanks!

Steve S.
seshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Shortest rear overhang and fully independent suspension. A real variety possible. See CAN AM RV website.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Chester , Vermont
He had a 16 foot sport which is not much heavier than the Basecamp. We tried to tow with our 2005 Highlander with the factory tow package, and it was way too light - we live in Vermont so hills and steep roads are the norm. The new model Highlanders have a much higher tow rating. Anyway I sold it and bought a Tahoe and then traded up to a bigger AS. These things are addictive! Look carefully at tongue weight loads for your vehicle.
frianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
East Syracuse , New York
BaseCamp Tow Vehicle

Ive got a 2917 Airstream BaseCamp and have taken it cross country once and back as well as up into eastern Canada. My tow vehicle is a 2016 Kia Sorento with all wheel drive/ four wheel drive train and a 6 cylinder 3.3 engine with an automatic transmission. I had an after market hitch installed with and equalizer/weight distribution/anti sway hitching system. Combined, my trailer and mid size SUV, is a great set up. The trailer follows my tow vehicle great and I have no issues going up and down fairly steep grades in the road. The advise given you about mid sized SUVs was wrong. With a correct set up (mine was done by Colonial Airstream in Lakewood, NJ) they work great!
TLHough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #11
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have a Nissan 4X4 Extera that tows up to 5,000#, No sweat.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I have a fiend who has towed her 16 ft Bambi across county 3 times with a Ford Edge... factory original fwd no mods
Base Camp and FWD; no problem
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:08 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
TV for Basecamp

We have had our Basecamp for 1 year now and have pulled over 6000 miles. We pull it with a 2013 F150 4x4 3.5 ecoboost. Have had no problems towing on all types of terrain, even the mountains of Colorado this summer. Monarch pass was climbed easily, just go slow on downhill. Forest service roads are no problem either. Whatever TV you choose, check the cargo carrying capacity located on the driver's side door pillar. With passengers, bikes, gen, and all other gear, your weight adds up quick. We have had some issues with the Basecamp, but we like our dealer and that can make or break your experience.
ChrisandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:50 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Ottawa , Ontario
hello - we have a Jeep Cherokkee 4*4, V6, 2019- works perfectly !

Marierca is offline   Reply With Quote