Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
Motorcycle Enthusiast

2007 Base Camp
Currently Looking...
Columbus , Indiana
Suggestions for 1st Gen Basecamp to visit Jackson Center

Hello all: We plan to take our 2007 Basecamp in for a couple of minor repairs in June. We have an appointment already. Aside from the repairs I'd like to use the visit to have other services they have available done. For the repairs we have hinges needing replaced on the right-side door and the sliding door under the galley no longer works well. Is the service center a good place to have other things done such as wheel bearing grease, battery inspection, testing, and service? Should I have them wash and wax the trailer?

Also, are there any fixes or upgrades available for Basecamp (1st Gen)? I already have the 3 ton axle option. I think the door controls could be improved over the strap and rivet arrangement it came with.

Any suggestions welcome

"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen
sgtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:41 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Pompano Beach , Florida
Do you mind me asking what the axel upgrade cost?
PapaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Winnipeg , Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJeeper View Post
Do you mind me asking what the axel upgrade cost?

The axle recall should not cost anything as it is a manufacturing correction of an error and covered by Airstream.
teerivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2007 Basecamp. Would like to know more about the upgrade axle to 3 ton. Do all 2007 Basecamps qualify for the recall? Also, do you believe the BC could handle an 800 pound Harley Davidson Street glide? Would it fit?

Thank you,

Riley
RLWardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:44 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLWardd View Post
I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2007 Basecamp. Would like to know more about the upgrade axle to 3 ton. Do all 2007 Basecamps qualify for the recall? Also, do you believe the BC could handle an 800 pound Harley Davidson Street glide? Would it fit?

Thank you,

Riley
I'm pretty sure the recall only applies to the new 2017 Basecamps and not the original models.
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:29 AM   #6
Motorcycle Enthusiast

2007 Base Camp
Currently Looking...
Columbus , Indiana
The Basecamp had this axle when I purchased it from the original owners.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:34 AM   #7
Motorcycle Enthusiast

2007 Base Camp
Currently Looking...
Columbus , Indiana
We carry either a BMW F800GS or a R100S in ours and they fit fine. With a bike as heavy as a Street Glide my guess is it will fit, but you will need to be quite fit to be able to get it in safely. Probably a two person operation. The headroom at the rear entrance is not very high and it can be awkward to muscle the bike up the ramp and over the threshold. Weight-wise it would be about at max and might limit the amount of gear you can stow in the trailer. If you have room for gear in your TV that shouldn't be an issue.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #8

2007 Base Camp
Eugene , Oregon
I recently purchased a 2007 Basecamp to transport my bikes. I'm working on polishing up the exterior and have been looking at the corrosion/filaform posts.
I haven't found any info on the Basecamp roof which appears to be fiberglass. I know to check and repair seals but what do you use on the roof itself? Formula 303 is what I'm likely to use unless there is a better product. Thanks!
DebM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebM View Post
I recently purchased a 2007 Basecamp to transport my bikes. I'm working on polishing up the exterior and have been looking at the corrosion/filaform posts.
I haven't found any info on the Basecamp roof which appears to be fiberglass. I know to check and repair seals but what do you use on the roof itself? Formula 303 is what I'm likely to use unless there is a better product. Thanks!
Gel coat cleaner and polish.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Gel coat cleaner and polish.
What he said....then 303. 303 is a good UV protectant. It will reduce the fiberglass oxidation.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote