Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WetPaws View Post
Gail,

Thanks for contributing to these threads… you are so funny (and quite knowledgeable)!!! And your photos are very well done, too

Katherine
Thank you Katherine ... I'm a nature photographer, which is one of the reason I wanted the Basecamp.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Georgetown , Arkansas
Spare tire tool

My dealer told me that no spare tire tool was included. You are meant to use the road service they provide. I argued that I didn't want to get stuck somewhere if service was slow or not available. The service guy agreed, but had no solution other than to buy a 4 way wrench. I did, only to find that it doesn't fit. No big deal since I wanted one for my TV anyway. I bought a thin wall 13/16 deep socket and breaker bar so that I can use the trailer now. I wonder if AS is really shipping out tire tools. Has anyone received it yet?
Xrad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:52 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrad13 View Post
My dealer told me that no spare tire tool was included. You are meant to use the road service they provide. I argued that I didn't want to get stuck somewhere if service was slow or not available. The service guy agreed, but had no solution other than to buy a 4 way wrench. I did, only to find that it doesn't fit. No big deal since I wanted one for my TV anyway. I bought a thin wall 13/16 deep socket and breaker bar so that I can use the trailer now. I wonder if AS is really shipping out tire tools. Has anyone received it yet?
I have not received my tire tool yet.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Miller View Post

We called Airstream 2 weeks ago and received the tire tool a few days ago... hope you got yours by now
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Warren , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Miller View Post

Finally got mine today.
Bogy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:20 PM   #26

2016 22' Sport
Bethesda , Maryland
Call Airstream with VIN

Called Airstream and gave them my VIN number. Got the crank in a few days. My dealer was of no help.
MDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Just a note here.....you need to get a thin wall socket (or the actually correct lug nut wrench). My 1/2" and 3/8" drive sockets would NOT fit in there.
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
seattle , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrad13 View Post
All in all, we were very happy with the process and look forward to hitting the road soon.

By the way, on the way home, we stopped at an empty parking lot and practiced backing up the trailer. I recommend it if you aren't already skilled at this. Getting down our long narrow driveway turned out to be relatively easy after this.

I hope that this helps ease some of the anxiety out there.
You eased my mind! We are picking up our BC on Thursday and are very excited. Thanks for the tip about practicing backing-up as I am a newbie to trailers!
lovetosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:56 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
If it makes you feel less alone in the problem world with a new airstream, I took our 2016 purchased new on its first outing a few weeks ago and after the ceiling vents fell out, water poured from the AC vents during the evening rains. Colonial is booked up for 35 days on repairs but agreed to take it in next week for a pressure test. Will say the dealer is very responsive but now I have two 4 hour round trips to drop off and pick up a unit used 1x. We have screwed in a few dozen screws, replaced the batteries. Reinstalled doors and latches, replaced the battery boiler and so forth all before even taking our first trip. Word to the wise, don't buy one in the winter. AS is simply not a quality purchase, it's an emotional one. Colonial is great, AS is no better than any SOB.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:20 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
2006 31' Classic
2008 25' International
Traverse City, San Diego , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
If it makes you feel less alone in the problem world with a new airstream, I took our 2016 purchased new on its first outing a few weeks ago and after the ceiling vents fell out, water poured from the AC vents during the evening rains. Colonial is booked up for 35 days on repairs but agreed to take it in next week for a pressure test. Will say the dealer is very responsive but now I have two 4 hour round trips to drop off and pick up a unit used 1x. We have screwed in a few dozen screws, replaced the batteries. Reinstalled doors and latches, replaced the battery boiler and so forth all before even taking our first trip. Word to the wise, don't buy one in the winter. AS is simply not a quality purchase, it's an emotional one. Colonial is great, AS is no better than any SOB.
No doubt Airstream “mystique” plays a large emotional role in AS purchases. It’s kind of like Chevy and Cadillac or domestic v. foreign. I doubt I would have ever started RVing if it wasn’t in a higher end trailer with a cool modern look. But, having had a few Airstreams now they do have issues like anything else. That’s compounded by the fact the dealer network is smaller and we’re at the top of the market so wait times are long. That’s a pain.

Perception is a strong emotion though. After three Airstreams I bought a 38’ fifth wheel in which I spend winters. In the past I would say I spent the winter in my Airstream. Even if you a person wasn’t an RVr they’d say WOW that’s so cool! Now I say I winter in my fifth wheel and there’s silence. Not the same panache:-). It’s like a step into geezerdom.
4streams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
What's the size of the lug nuts? I did not get a lug wrench and need to pick something up sooner than later. 13/16 as someone mentioned?
Old 05-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
13/16" spark plug sock works.....Click image for larger version

Name:	20170527_212837-1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	286332