Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Solar panels not charging battery

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0594.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	286796

We have the factory installed solar panels on our Basecamp, but they don't appear to be charging the battery at all. I've had the BC in outdoor storage for about a month, in full sun, and have been monitoring the battery weekly. It has progressively dropped to 20% (11.2v) while in storage. The solar panel display shows the battery%, and the voltage, but shows "0" for both solar charge amps and total amp hours.

We brought it home today to plug it into shore power to recharge. The dealership can't see us for 3 more weeks. I took this photo of where the panels plug in, hoping someone might have some advice. If you zoom in on the plugs, it appears one of them has gunk on it. (Just noticed when I came in to clarify the photo). Could that be the problem? Also are they plugged in correctly, and should there be anything in the 3rd receptacle?

Thanks for any help, and apologies if I used bad electrical terminology!
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
(Also the panels are dirty, but I don't think that would totally block the charge.)
Old 06-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Check the connections at the controller and at the battery. I had the positive lug at the controller, from the solar panels, vibrate loose and that did in my charging (actually did in my whole controller but that's another story). But it's simple enough to check and see if all the connections to the controller and battery are tight. Along the way check the in line fuses also.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmnhead View Post
(Also the panels are dirty, but I don't think that would totally block the charge.)
Dirty panels can have a significant effect on charging voltage & current
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
Check the connections at the controller and at the battery. I had the positive lug at the controller, from the solar panels, vibrate loose and that did in my charging (actually did in my whole controller but that's another story). But it's simple enough to check and see if all the connections to the controller and battery are tight. Along the way check the in line fuses also.

Thank you, I will try that! I know where the battery is, and hopefully the controller is identifiable and nearby. I am uninitiated in this topic. (If anyone has pictures of what things are supposed to look like, I would appreciate seeing them. The plumbing photos on another thread were so helpful.)
Old 06-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If your 11.2V reading is accurate (it easily could be wrong), you need to find a shore power plug to get things charged up. That's a low enough voltage to prematurely age (damage) your batteries.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If your 11.2V reading is accurate (it easily could be wrong), you need to find a shore power plug to get things charged up. That's a low enough voltage to prematurely age (damage) your batteries.

Bob

Bob, see 2nd paragraph...currently hooked up to shore power. If something is wrong with the set up and my battery is damaged, hopefully the warranty will cover a new battery!
Old 06-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Ok, got to the controller and battery. Everything looks hooked up tight - found pics of that on another thread (this forum is awesome). Checked connections up top on roof that were accessible. Checked back of solar display panel. All that looks ok.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:12 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If the connections are all tight, next thing is the switches, breakers and fuses.

Bob
Old 06-04-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
If all that fails, clean the panels, by the looks of the photo, you should get at 25% boost in efficiency. Also verify none of the cells are shaded. One shaded cell will disable an entire panel.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Thanks Bob and Wayne! All day today has been torrential downpours, thunder and lightning. If this ever stops, I will get up there and check the panels and will also recheck breakers, etc. The rain has been very heavy, so the panels should be much cleaner already!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

... sounds like a good time to go check for leaks

Bob
Old 06-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Rain helps a little but around here tree pollen sticks to the panels after they dry, add some dust that turns to mud and then freaky stuff starts growing on the surface.
Up here in the Northeast I am up there cleaning the panels before a journey and monthly in between.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

... sounds like a good time to go check for leaks

Bob

OMG, don't get me started on leaks. Two have been fixed, if there's another one one I might lose my mind! :-/
Old 06-04-2017, 04:10 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
At this point, don't worry about cleaning the panels. The rain already did it. Also, with no solar output, cleaning, with a 25% increase in output, is still zero output.

A strong possibility is the in-line fuse (probably close to the battery, or in the battery compartment) is bad. Replace it even if it looks good. If you have two 100 watt panels, replace it with at least a 15 amp fuse, and maybe a 20 amp fuse. It could be that it is fused too small and blew, or just a bad fuse.

A year ago I contacted my solar controller manufacturer about my solar controller acting up and he said to actually replace the in-line fuse holder (not just the fuse). Didn't make sense to me, as I am kinda knowledgeable about electrical, but I blew the $2 and replaced it with a new one purchased at Walmart. The system then worked fine.

Good luck!
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
I purchased my AS a few years back from the original owner who had had solar installed when the AS was new.

He told me the solar had never worked even though he had taken it back multiple times.

I took the manual for the controller (different controller than yours) and went through the settings. My controller has four internal dip-switches and the instructions for the dip-switch settings for one of the switches was confusing and depending on how you read it, could be interpreted to be in a different position than they had it in.

I flipped that one switch to the opposite position and instantly had solar!

If you have never got solar out of your system, it is possible the controller isn't set up correctly.
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote