Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2019, 04:42 AM   #541
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Recent trip the fridge worked OK. I was actually surprised. Direct sun 100%. Exterior temps in the 80's and low 90's. No shore power so propane only. Temps in the fridge varied from 35 to 45ish. The 45 was when we were going in and out for lunch or dinner. I still may replace with the Novakool R4500. I have one more trip and then will decide.

(Sorry the images are rotated. This forum isn't the best for pictures.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190728_160013.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	348921   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190728_071502.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	348922  

MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #542

2017 Basecamp
Grand Rapids , Michigan
We have had refrigerator replaced, seems to cool adequately but fans keep us awake. I called customer service and they were not helpful. They told me to go back to dealer to get baffles and if that doesn't fix it, the dealership should contact Airstream in Jackson. My husband is looking into some legal recourse. Our previous trailer was a CampInn teardrop and the owners would bend over backwards to resolve any issues and there weren't many.
carolineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:53 AM   #543
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
NA , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
Recent trip the fridge worked OK. I was actually surprised. Direct sun 100%. Exterior temps in the 80's and low 90's. No shore power so propane only. Temps in the fridge varied from 35 to 45ish. The 45 was when we were going in and out for lunch or dinner. I still may replace with the Novakool R4500. I have one more trip and then will decide.

(Sorry the images are rotated. This forum isn't the best for pictures.)
Did you use shore power for the initial cool down? I haven't seen a report, yet, that shows propane-only providing 35-45 degree temps. Yours would be the first.
LABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #544
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
I dropped our BCX off at the dealer this past Tuesday. When asked about the reason for needing service I told them the refrigerator does not maintain safe temperatures below 40 degrees. When asked under what circumstances I replied: "whenever the BC is not under air, which includes all dry camping situations, all 15 or 20 amp shore power situations and all situations traveling over the road."

Because even when running on available 15 or 20 amp 120v power, if the inside temperature of the BC is not kept cool via AC, then the refrigerator struggles to maintain temperatures under 40 degrees.

I did get a look at the 2020 BCX with the new Nova Kool fridge. The vents behind the propane cover are gone and the propane cover has been moved back to within an inch of the aluminum skin. I've attached a picture of the new fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8669.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	348996  
abutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #545
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Naples , Florida
Had whole power system and frig replaced - new solar panels - agm batteries - inverter - marine frig - even added web boost for personal hotspot - all works great now -no cooling problems - a couple days of boondocking possible easily

But as always not complete trouble free - now I have a leak i can’t pinpoint ��
randsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:24 AM   #546
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
NA , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by randsfl View Post
Had whole power system and frig replaced - new solar panels - agm batteries - inverter - marine frig - even added web boost for personal hotspot - all works great now -no cooling problems - a couple days of boondocking possible easily

Works great, that's good to hear! Were you on shore power at any point? If you were on propane-only, what temps did your fridge get down to and how long did it take to go from hot to that temp?
Old 08-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #547

2017 Basecamp
Grand Rapids , Michigan
They should retro fit all BCs with NovaKool refrigerator.
carolineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #548
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by randsfl View Post

Thanks for the update -- glad you have a Basecamp which finally works right!

Could you please give us an idea of the total cost of all this work? If there is any way to break out the cost of replacing the fridge [including new batteries] that would be appreciated. Did Airstream contribute to the cost of replacing the fridge?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #549
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by abutters View Post
I dropped our BCX off at the dealer this past Tuesday.
. . .
Have you asked for a new fridge not fired by propane?

Curious to know what the dealer's feedback has been.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 08-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #550
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineb View Post
They should retrofit all BCs with NovaKool refrigerator.
A company with a world-class service model would do that. Eliminate the problem for everyone involved. Not only would the Basecamp owners benefit, but Airstream would stop wasting the time of their dealer network.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:11 AM   #551
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Kingston , California
As I’ve reported on this thread a few times, my propane fridge is working well. I’ve used it in temps between 35 and 100F. My only issue is that I’m currently up in Maine, where we’re having very cool evenings, and the food in my fridge is freezing (I’m dry camping and running on propane). Given the larger than average solar (I have the factory pkg) and battery capacity of the BC, I’d prefer if the propane worked so I could stay off grid longer. I just wish it had a thermostat instead of the thermistor for temp control. When i picked up my B.C., I asked my dealer about the NovaKool and he suggested I try out the propane model first. Glad I did, other than the frozen cucumbers this morning! ��
dgirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:22 AM   #552
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update.

Do you have the thermistor at the bottom of its range? [Mnemonic “It is warmer down south.”]

If you can anticipate the overnight temp range, maybe put a large bottle of room temp water in the fridge as a thermal mass to moderate things?

Peter
Old 08-28-2019, 04:23 AM   #553
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Kingston , California
Great question Peter! Right now it’s in the middle so I’ll move it to the warmer ‘southern’ setting Also love your idea about the room temp water and will give that a try as well.

Thanks!

Doug
Old 08-28-2019, 05:15 AM   #554
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
NA , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgirvin View Post
As I’ve reported on this thread a few times, my propane fridge is working well. I’ve used it in temps between 35 and 100F. My only issue is that I’m currently up in Maine, where we’re having very cool evenings, and the food in my fridge is freezing (I’m dry camping and running on propane). Given the larger than average solar (I have the factory pkg) and battery capacity of the BC, I’d prefer if the propane worked so I could stay off grid longer. I just wish it had a thermostat instead of the thermistor for temp control. When i picked up my B.C., I asked my dealer about the NovaKool and he suggested I try out the propane model first. Glad I did, other than the frozen cucumbers this morning! ��
You're reporting that your fridge is keeping your food normal fridge temps when it is 100F outside and you're NOT at all using shore power, it's all propane? I haven't seen a report like that, yet, you'd be the first, but if that's the case I'd definitely like more details if you could.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #555
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Doug for the reply. Also be sure to have enough free air inside the fridge so it can circulate well. FWIW we keep a ice chest in the tow vehicle, so that the fridge does not get too crowded.

Hope the southern route pays off!

Peter
Old 08-31-2019, 01:32 PM   #556
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Have you asked for a new fridge not fired by propane?

Curious to know what the dealer's feedback has been.

Thanks,

Peter
We picked up our BCX from the dealer after a couple of weeks of testing. Not sure if they adjusted the thermistor or what exactly they fine-tuned because the service report is short on details, but it cools down to 32 degrees on propane while sitting outside in 94-degree temps in central Florida.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:37 AM   #557
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Kingston , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABC View Post
You're reporting that your fridge is keeping your food normal fridge temps when it is 100F outside and you're NOT at all using shore power, it's all propane? I haven't seen a report like that, yet, you'd be the first, but if that's the case I'd definitely like more details if you could.
I’ve had the Fridge on both propane and electric in 90-100F all summer and it’s worked well, even to the point of being too cold at times. If it keeps working the way it is currently, I’d definitely like to keep the propane fridge to be able to stay off shore power longer. I just finished a two week trip with the last week entirely on propane and solar. Unlike a previous post suggesting that the NorCool would allow a couple of days of Boondocking, my batteries never got below 70% after 7 days. So, other than water, I could literally be off the grid indefinitely with a propane powered fridge. And, thanks to Peter’s advice, my thermistor is now ‘down south’ and things have stopped freezing on the cool nights we’ve been having over the past week.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:41 AM   #558
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Kingston , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by abutters View Post
We picked up our BCX from the dealer after a couple of weeks of testing. Not sure if they adjusted the thermistor or what exactly they fine-tuned because the service report is short on details, but it cools down to 32 degrees on propane while sitting outside in 94-degree temps in central Florida.
Hi Peter, to answer your question about the dealer feedback, I’d read a number of posts about the fridge prior to picking up my BCX last Spring. He suggested that I try it first as he’d had none come back - my sales rep sold the most BCs in Canada last year so he had a good sample size. To this point I’m very glad I took his advice and tried it. He’s left the door open to replace it if I have any issues.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:17 AM   #559
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good to hear that the southern route was scenic!

Old 09-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #560

2017 Basecamp
Westminster , California
NovaKool

My 2017 Basecamp has been retrofitted with a NovaKool R4500. This is the first one that the dealer has done. They had to order a trim kit and a part to cap off the gas line as this fridge is AC/DC with no gas. They tested it yesterday and today both plugged in and on the battery only. They told me that the freezer got down to 3 deg. and the fridge was below 40 (I don't remember that exact number he told me). I have a 100 watt solar panel and they said it was very efficient when running on battery only. I pick it up on Thurs. I'm hoping we can go 3-4 days without plugging in...we'll see.
TracieWllms is offline   Reply With Quote