Old 08-04-2019, 10:40 PM   #533
2 Rivet Member

remote , AL

for you basecampers! get up!! dust off ! reload ! recalibrate ! re-engage! go out on the attack.

navathehutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:27 PM   #534
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Amen!!

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:03 AM   #535
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by navathehutt View Post
You're only 7 months in and you are still bitching about a 1000 dollar refrigerator? Why do you condescendingly respond to me? Here you go: In Iraq we had a limit of starting the auxillary power unit in a black hawk helicopter of 53 degrees celcius.. Guess what: we didnt bitch at 55 degrees celcius we started it up. We didn't post on the forums afraid if it was gonna blow up!

How much time do you waste litigating a company when this is a recreational vehicle for camping not glamping? how much is your time worth litigating instead of outdoors?

Do you adapt and overcome? Come up with a better solution? Or have a stupid response to a simple question in my response. You are a fair weather american and I would hate to be near your presence bitching so much.

Suing chrysler over what 1000 dollars? you could have made 200k in 7 months of bitching? Time is money.. I probably paid for 10 airstream in the time it's been in your head fuming.

How much of your time is worth reading my response? You mad yet? Garbage in , garbage out...

I hope you feel better now.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:52 AM   #536
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Kingston , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the report. Was the front of your trailer in shade during most of this time?

Will you be able to test your fridge in hot weather, when it is using only propane -- with the front of the BC in direct sun? Performance on shore power has been less of an issue IMO.

Thanks,

Peter
No problem! Fridge was in direct sun (black plastic propane tank cover on my unit) most of the time. It was on propane during transit and the fan ran continuously. Longest time in transit was 5 hours during middle of the day when it was hot. It also sat in hot parking lots while I was reprovisioning - all on propane. At the campsites it was on shore power. Depending on the evening temps, fan would shut off just after dusk or shortly before midnight.
dgirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #537
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by navathehutt View Post
You're only 7 months in and you are still bitching about a 1000 dollar refrigerator? Why do you condescendingly respond to me? Here you go: In Iraq we had a limit of starting the auxillary power unit in a black hawk helicopter of 53 degrees celcius.. Guess what: we didnt bitch at 55 degrees celcius we started it up. We didn't post on the forums afraid if it was gonna blow up!

How much time do you waste litigating a company when this is a recreational vehicle for camping not glamping? how much is your time worth litigating instead of outdoors?

Do you adapt and overcome? Come up with a better solution? Or have a stupid response to a simple question in my response. You are a fair weather american and I would hate to be near your presence bitching so much.

Suing chrysler over what 1000 dollars? you could have made 200k in 7 months of bitching? Time is money.. I probably paid for 10 airstream in the time it's been in your head fuming.

How much of your time is worth reading my response? You mad yet? Garbage in , garbage out...

I'm afraid you entirely misunderstood my response. The short answer to your question is NO.

And my reference to 7 months is that my situation is minor compared to the owners who have been fighting this fridge issue for over two years.

I sued Chrysler over 15 years ago because I purchased a $35K work van, and it had a recurring failure where it wouldn't start and even given a year's time the dealer network could not identify and fix the cause of the problem. It was almost entirely a waste of time because in the middle of the suit, Chrysler declared bankruptcy. I settled with the dealer for $20K

So moving forward from that discussion, I'm dropping our Basecamp X off at a dealer this week. The service manager says he'll need it for two weeks. I'll see what happens.
abutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #538
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgirvin View Post
No problem! Fridge was in direct sun (black plastic propane tank cover on my unit) most of the time. It was on propane during transit and the fan ran continuously. Longest time in transit was 5 hours during middle of the day when it was hot. It also sat in hot parking lots while I was reprovisioning - all on propane. At the campsites it was on shore power. Depending on the evening temps, fan would shut off just after dusk or shortly before midnight.
What temperature did you record after the five hour drive? That's where we experience the greatest temperature rise - from 33 degrees up to 49 in only 6 hours on the road. And that was here in the east where it's hot, but not like it is in Moab in August where I have traveled before in an rv with a fridge that worked under those conditions.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #539
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Kingston , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by abutters View Post
What temperature did you record after the five hour drive? That's where we experience the greatest temperature rise - from 33 degrees up to 49 in only 6 hours on the road. And that was here in the east where it's hot, but not like it is in Moab in August where I have traveled before in an rv with a fridge that worked under those conditions.
It was about 35F after 5 hours of driving. I'm in the east as well. Was on I-90 near Rochester. High humidity, temps in the low 90s. Wanting (needing?) A/C has kept me on shore power for the past month or so at the campgrounds/SPs.
dgirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #540
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the update.

Driving obviates the need for the fridge to self-ventilate from inside the BC IMO, with all that air moving around the propane tank cover at high speeds.

At your next campsite, put the front of the BC in direct sun in 93F weather, and would probably be disappointing IMO.

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:42 AM   #541
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Recent trip the fridge worked OK. I was actually surprised. Direct sun 100%. Exterior temps in the 80's and low 90's. No shore power so propane only. Temps in the fridge varied from 35 to 45ish. The 45 was when we were going in and out for lunch or dinner. I still may replace with the Novakool R4500. I have one more trip and then will decide.

(Sorry the images are rotated. This forum isn't the best for pictures.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190728_160013.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	348921   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190728_071502.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	348922  

MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #542

2017 Basecamp
Grand Rapids , Michigan
We have had refrigerator replaced, seems to cool adequately but fans keep us awake. I called customer service and they were not helpful. They told me to go back to dealer to get baffles and if that doesn't fix it, the dealership should contact Airstream in Jackson. My husband is looking into some legal recourse. Our previous trailer was a CampInn teardrop and the owners would bend over backwards to resolve any issues and there weren't many.
carolineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:53 AM   #543
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
NA , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
Recent trip the fridge worked OK. I was actually surprised. Direct sun 100%. Exterior temps in the 80's and low 90's. No shore power so propane only. Temps in the fridge varied from 35 to 45ish. The 45 was when we were going in and out for lunch or dinner. I still may replace with the Novakool R4500. I have one more trip and then will decide.

(Sorry the images are rotated. This forum isn't the best for pictures.)
Did you use shore power for the initial cool down? I haven't seen a report, yet, that shows propane-only providing 35-45 degree temps. Yours would be the first.
LABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #544
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
I dropped our BCX off at the dealer this past Tuesday. When asked about the reason for needing service I told them the refrigerator does not maintain safe temperatures below 40 degrees. When asked under what circumstances I replied: "whenever the BC is not under air, which includes all dry camping situations, all 15 or 20 amp shore power situations and all situations traveling over the road."

Because even when running on available 15 or 20 amp 120v power, if the inside temperature of the BC is not kept cool via AC, then the refrigerator struggles to maintain temperatures under 40 degrees.

I did get a look at the 2020 BCX with the new Nova Kool fridge. The vents behind the propane cover are gone and the propane cover has been moved back to within an inch of the aluminum skin. I've attached a picture of the new fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8669.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	348996  
Old 08-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #545
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Naples , Florida
Had whole power system and frig replaced - new solar panels - agm batteries - inverter - marine frig - even added web boost for personal hotspot - all works great now -no cooling problems - a couple days of boondocking possible easily

But as always not complete trouble free - now I have a leak i can’t pinpoint ��
randsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:24 AM   #546
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
NA , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by randsfl View Post
Had whole power system and frig replaced - new solar panels - agm batteries - inverter - marine frig - even added web boost for personal hotspot - all works great now -no cooling problems - a couple days of boondocking possible easily

But as always not complete trouble free - now I have a leak i can’t pinpoint ��
Works great, that's good to hear! Were you on shore power at any point? If you were on propane-only, what temps did your fridge get down to and how long did it take to go from hot to that temp?

LABC is offline   Reply With Quote