Old 01-28-2019, 07:38 AM   #463
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
ABQ , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
Is the Norcold an absorption style fridge (propane/electric) or AC/DC compressor style?
I was talking to the service manager at my dealer on Saturday and they said they thought the new fridge is an AC/DC compressor style. We were both wondering if there would be enough amp hours for use over night while boondocking before killing your batteries.

In the next few weeks I'm going to call AS and tell them their last fridge 'fix' for my '17 BC didn't work and see how it goes. It would really be helpful for the community for everyone to call in and make sure AS knows, not just the dealers, that the fixes aren't working.

YoungishJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #464
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Depending a *lot* on exactly which model and outdoor temperatures, average numbers in the 2 to 4A range are not uncommon for compressor fridges. Peak consumption is a bit higher. You don't (hopefully) run the compressor 100% of the time.

The 4A number gets you to about 100AH over a 24 hour period at the high. With two AGM's fully charged at the start you will barely make it a day. At the 2A end, you would make it a day and a half with two flooded cells. If you are running one battery rather than a pair .... it all gets cut in half.

A lot of propane based fridges pull an average of 1A (regardless of temperature). Even with propane there is a limit after a couple of days. An average of 2A isn't doing very bad at all ...

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:41 PM   #465
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
2019 Basecamp
Yulee , Florida
Engel fridge freezers draw between 0.7 and 2 amps. And sometimes zero amps because they do not run continuously unless you leave the door/lid open.
I have used one of their larger models for over 4 years and when traveling power it with a Goal Zero solar generator with a 100 amp hour battery. I get several days of run time between recharging and can recharge via solar, 12 volts or 120 volts.
Go to the Engel website and you’ll find all the specifications. The largest fridge is only 3 cubic feet but you’ll find that rv’s designed for real life off grid use will employ two of the 3 cubic foot models when balancing efficiency with larger fridge capacity is desired
abutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:06 AM   #466
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is always a tradeoff between foot thick walls (with low heat loss and zero space inside) vs skinny walls. What the RV manufacturers are putting in are the "skinny wall" versions.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:37 AM   #467
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
See attached for updated part
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190214-063459_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	333605  
trd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:45 AM   #468
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Thanks for sharing. That's very interesting. It appears they finally threw in the towel. I winder how the vents in the front are? Possible retrofit options for those of us on LP (old style)?
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #469
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hermon , Maine
Refrigerator

I called the company and asked if there were plans to make a 'kit' available for us older owners to upgrade and was told they hadn't heard anything about it.

I think we're replacing the fridge, anyway, with either another Dometic that can run on batteries, or perhaps a top opening Engel.
Kahaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #470
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungishJedi View Post
. . .
In the next few weeks I'm going to call AS and tell them their last fridge 'fix' for my '17 BC didn't work and see how it goes. It would really be helpful for the community for everyone to call in and make sure AS knows, not just the dealers, that the fixes aren't working.
Wondering if you have any new information on this?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #471
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by randsfl View Post
. . .
I am taking BC in for one last try - for me the frig does not work . . .
. . .
Wondering if they fixed it right for you?

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Click on orange arrow in quote to go to that post.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #472
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Have you sold the Basecamp? Given the move by Airstream to a new fridge design, is it possible that AS will retrofit a new fridge for you?

Thanks for the hard work you have put into this thread, as OP and later.

Peter

[click on orange arrow in quote to go to this earlier post]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
I have not posted on this topic because I simply decided to move on. My fridge works well as long as there is no heat outside. Above 80 and it is a food killer. Always has been and I see no reason to believe that Airstream’s decision to nibble around the edges of a fundamental design flaw will ever make things better.

This is easily my biggest RV screwup. I bought into a company that won’t admit that a serious design error is the culprit. The many years that I have looked to Airstream as a company that values their reputation came to an abrupt stop with this experience. How any RV company can sit by and ignore the reality of their customer’s ruined trips because of ruined food is beyond any notion of corporate responsibility.

After nearly two years, none of their tweaks have been effective because they can not overcome the near constant buildup of heat beneath the countertop. This has not been a failure of prescription; it is an abject failure of diagnosis.

The unfortunate reality is that Airstream can count. They know that many Basecamp buyers live is regions where consistent temps above 80 are not all that frequent. They also know that many buyers will not temp check their food and that ignorance is bliss until you start throwing up and/or having diarrhea. As long as Airstream continues to view those of us who have lived with the reality of their design killing our food whenever it gets warm outside, I see no change on the horizon.

Actually, my money is on Airstream waiting until the majority of the warranties expire and then following with a significant design change that adequately vents fridge heat. Better yet, they will quite possibly begin to fit compressor fridges.

The real irony is that Airstream might well have fixed all these issues by swapping out the absorption units with compressors as soon as it became apparent that they could not adequately vent the absorption fridges. That would have been a lot cheaper than the cost of 6 or so trips to the dealer (including one to the factory) that were useless. I wish that they had rather directed the tech time and useless parts toward me with an offer of a compressor fridge that works. Oh BTW, I didn’t rely on wishing, I asked for a compressor swap and was told by the dealer that Airstream would not agree to such a swap, but they would consider giving me another absorption unit (so that I could start a new chapter of this nightmare).
Old 03-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #473
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Hi Peter...

Have not sold it. In fact, we are preparing it for another cross country trip (30 days or so) beginning the end of March.

The Basecamp is still our choice for our needs (who needs to eat, after all?)

I plan on initiating communication with Airstream with a request for them to pitch in on replacing the absorption with a compressor. How they respond will determine our future with Airstream and whether I decide to file a legal claim. God knows that my experience matches, point for point, every element of Californias Lemon Law.

But, for now, we are looking toward the east coast.

...Bob
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #474
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks, Bob, for the update, and have a great trip. Where are you headed?

Peter
Old 03-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #475
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Santa Fe, San Antonio, New Orleans and Inverness, Florida. Should be fun.

Bob
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #476
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Depending a *lot* on exactly which model and outdoor temperatures, average numbers in the 2 to 4A range are not uncommon for compressor fridges. Peak consumption is a bit higher. You don't (hopefully) run the compressor 100% of the time.

The 4A number gets you to about 100AH over a 24 hour period at the high. With two AGM's fully charged at the start you will barely make it a day. At the 2A end, you would make it a day and a half with two flooded cells. If you are running one battery rather than a pair .... it all gets cut in half.

A lot of propane based fridges pull an average of 1A (regardless of temperature). Even with propane there is a limit after a couple of days. An average of 2A isn't doing very bad at all ...

Bob
The datasheet for the NovaKool R3100 which seems like the one Airstream would be using calls out 2.2ADC on a 12VDC system when the compressor is running with an asterisk disclaimer that the compressor will not be running continuously and the current consumption will also vary with temperature. Assuming a duty cycle of 50% for a 24 hr period results in 26.4Ah draw. With 2 AGM's I've got ~160AH of total capacity or ~80Ah of capacity at 50% discharge. This would mean I could run the refrigerator 2-3 days with other accessory loads.

For comparison, my early 2017 had a refrigerator which seemed to work okay (even had consistent temperature!) but during other warranty work the dealer installed the "fix" which turned out to be what my wife and I call the jet engine fan(s) (which still bothers us at night sleeping due to noise). I was doing a spring RV checkout a few days ago and turned the refrigerator on. The solar charger (not factory) was charging 1.9ADC at 14VDC of which 0.2-.3A was being used for absorption phase of the battery. This results in a consumption of 1.6-1.7ADC for the dometic refrigerator and jet engine fans. During the warmer months, the jet engine fan(s) usually start running at 10am and run until 2am the next morning which comes out to 16 hours out of a 24hr period. Using the consumption figure above, that would be 25.6-27.2Ah.

We went for one trip with the "fixed" refrigerator before I completed my solar installation and found the batteries lasted around 2 days, which seems consistent with the math above. Prior to the "fix" we'd been out 4 days on the same battery set. Now that solar is on, and I have an endless power source for 12V, the power consumption doesn't bother me as much as the noise and uneven (sometimes cooling, sometimes freezing). If the NovaKool is quieter and has more even cooling, I'd prefer it. From a power perspective it's probably a wash for me.

ArawayCamper is offline   Reply With Quote