Long Island , New York
Thumbs up

Why read the thread before posting?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #450
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Naples , Florida
First, I want to thank all the participants - especially the long-term ones for many ideas

Second, I have not been a good participant since I left on spring trip in April - and will try to stay more up to date

I am taking BC in for one last try - for me the frig does not work and the back door leaks - both chronic problems

What i would like to try to do is get some counts - and comments either here or private - from those BC owners that experienced frig problems

Do or did you have frig problem

Do you still have frig problem - after how many fixes or was it fixed by one of the numerous times it was serviced

Was it only fixed after frig replacement

If it was fixed one way or the other are you confident of the fix at this point and why

Thanks in advance to everyone

randsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #451
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Why not start a new thread and make it a "Poll" per Janet's instructions? Having everything public would be very helpful IMO.

Peter

[click on orange arrow to go directly to this post]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
OK - to do a poll:
Start a new thread and when the editor box pops up scroll down a little and click on "go advanced".
Then fill out your thread title and ask your question.
Then scroll down a little and select "post a poll" . Follow the prompts.
If you mess up: a moderator can edit your poll or pull it so you start over.

PS -- There are a couple of tire threads which are also polls:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ll-157690.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...oll-76867.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...res-77069.html
Old 11-25-2018, 05:17 PM   #452
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Why read the thread before posting?

Hi

It should be blindingly obvious by now that I never ever do so

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #453
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
We just picked up our 2019 Basecamp X and traveled 850 miles in two days with the fridge running on propane. I did not follow best practices meaning I did not pre-cool it with ice packs nor did I fill it with refrigerated food. We drove with it almost empty. Upon arriving home I immediately grabbed a digital thermometer and the placed it inside the fridge for 5 minutes. It read 37 degrees. I left the fridge running on propane overnight and this morning the thermometer read 33 degrees.
Our 2019 BCX was manufactured in September 2018 and still has the Dometic fridge. It does have the newly designed shroud over the propane tanks which allows for more ventilation of the fridge. According to a conversation I had with Airstream prior to purchasing this unit, I was informed that in December of 2019 Airstream switched to a Norcold fridge in lieu of the Dometic.
abutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #454
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by abutters View Post
. . .
According to a conversation I had with Airstream prior to purchasing this unit, I was informed that in December of 2019 Airstream switched to a Norcold fridge in lieu of the Dometic.
Very forward-thinking of them!

Thanks for the report -- assume you meant December 2018. Is Airstream going to replace all the old Dometic fridges under a general recall?

Old 01-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #455
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
ABQ , New Mexico
Quote:
Is Airstream going to replace all the old Dometic fridges under a general recall?

I really hope they do. The fridge now cools but the temperature ranges are wildly inconsistent. On our trip last Summer from the Southwest, US to Whistler, CA we lost a fridge worth of food because of this. It would spoil during the day and the cool back down in the evening.
YoungishJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #456
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Quote:
Very forward-thinking of them!

Thanks for the report -- assume you meant December 2018. Is Airstream going to replace all the old Dometic fridges under a general recall?

Yes I did mean December 2018 - thanks for catching that. I simply called the factory and asked and they were very forthright about past problems and fixes. And the technician at the dealer in Troy OH was also very upfront about fixes he had done on earlier model BC and how drastically different the design of our propane cover is compared to prior versions. So far so good but it isn't Summer yet so time will tell.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #457
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Quote:
We just picked up our 2019 Basecamp X and traveled 850 miles in two days with the fridge running on propane. I did not follow best practices meaning I did not pre-cool it with ice packs nor did I fill it with refrigerated food. We drove with it almost empty. Upon arriving home I immediately grabbed a digital thermometer and the placed it inside the fridge for 5 minutes. It read 37 degrees. I left the fridge running on propane overnight and this morning the thermometer read 33 degrees.
Our 2019 BCX was manufactured in September 2018 and still has the Dometic fridge. It does have the newly designed shroud over the propane tanks which allows for more ventilation of the fridge. According to a conversation I had with Airstream prior to purchasing this unit, I was informed that in December of 2019 Airstream switched to a Norcold fridge in lieu of the Dometic.
What does the updated propane cover look like vs the old design?
trd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #458
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd09 View Post
What does the updated propane cover look like vs the old design?
I'll post a picture to show what it looks like now. I have not seen the older design, but according to the technician the new design creates a couple more inches of space between the cover and the refrigerator vents.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:32 AM   #459
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Personally I would rather just install the self venting Engel model SR48F-U1 FRIDGE/FREEZER for $720 which runs on 12V and be done with it. We already travel with an Engel 40qt fridge/freezer for added capacity and the thing is awesome.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #460
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .
What were the air temp and sun conditions for this fridge test please?

Thanks,

Peter

PS — Gail Miller, whose many posts helped highlight the BC fridge problems in this thread, has traded in her BC for an RV:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...rv-191374.html

See Post #3 [7/17/17] which was followed by dozens more.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:16 PM   #461
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Quote:
According to a conversation I had with Airstream prior to purchasing this unit, I was informed that in December of 2019 Airstream switched to a Norcold fridge in lieu of the Dometic.
Is the Norcold an absorption style fridge (propane/electric) or AC/DC compressor style? I assume you meant December 2018 not 2019. Thanks for the info.
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #462
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Post #456:
Quote:
Yes I did mean December 2018 . . .
. . .