Old 03-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #341
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawford , Colorado
At Organ Pipe NM on Arizona _Mexico border. 90 F yesterday and fridge stayed at 40F. Have had fridge fix with 2 batteries and fans

dickgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #342
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Good info. Thanks. How was the fan noise? I am heading to Florida in late April. We'll see!!!

MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #343
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawford , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
Good info. Thanks. How was the fan noise? I am heading to Florida in late April. We'll see!!!
Fan noise was not bad. Actually more apparent outside the trailer than inside.

BTW. Saw my first "other" Basecamp on the road at the Gilbert Ray campground outside of Tucson.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #344
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Naples , Florida
affirmation

1) so is there a official service bulletin - to replace fan with a couple fans and to add a battery (what if you have solar panels)

2) and how many here have had that fix - if i may ask

3) and it appears we have one with a fix that appears to be working
randsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #345
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hermon , Maine
Just dropped off my 2017 Basecamp off at the dealer for this upgrade today
Bullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #346
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickgeo View Post
At Organ Pipe NM on Arizona _Mexico border. 90 F yesterday and fridge stayed at 40F. Have had fridge fix with 2 batteries and fans
Thanks for the good news. Was the fridge’s front exterior vent in the sun or shade? The early posts in this thread made a distinction in this regard.

Also how long was the air temp 90? If the contents were at 40 in the morning, with perhaps cold overnight temps, and the front vent was in shade, these would be good factors to know about.

The jury is still out on this fix IMO.

Thanks again,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:12 AM   #347
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawford , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the good news. Was the fridges front exterior vent in the sun or shade? The early posts in this thread made a distinction in this regard.

Also how long was the air temp 90? If the contents were at 40 in the morning, with perhaps cold overnight temps, and the front vent was in shade, these would be good factors to know about.

The jury is still out on this fix IMO.

Thanks again,

Peter
The camper was parked pretty close to north_south with the front end facing north. Not in the shade but also not in direct sun, however the black propane cover was warm to the touch in midday heat. Nightine temps were in the 70's
Old 04-03-2018, 08:28 AM   #348
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Garland , Texas
We will be doing a week trip to big bend next month that should be the real test! We finall got ours to temp but it took well over 48 hours to get there last time out. May try to put some ice packs in to help speed that time up.
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #349
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Adding blue ice etc. is always a good plan when turning on a fridge for the first trip. We leave a large blue ice in the freezer and fridge if we have room, as cool-sink thermal masses which smooth out the cooling cycles. They also help if you need to turn off the propane for tunnels and bridges.

Look forward to an update after your trip. The BC is such a great overall concept which we have considered for downsizing.

Happy Trails,

Peter
Old 04-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #350
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Park City , Utah
We had the fridge fix on our BC and took it to Zion in February where we were plugged in. It worked the whole time but obviously this was not a true temperature challenge with daytime temps in high 40s and nights in the 20s. Will get a better sense in mid-May on our Moab trip.
FricknFrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #351
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Naples , Florida
frig data - overlander63

i am heading out for long journey - many different climates and elevations - if you want to send private or do more here - give me specifics on where to take temps and when - you want one within the hood outside - and what should i use to get the surface temp of counter

will be having some long driving days, also
randsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #352
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
If you start at the beginning of this thread, you will find a number of posts from Bborzell including the following early one. IMO he posted more detailed ones later, with many parameters and locations detailed.

Have a great trip!

Peter

[click on orange arrow to go directly to this post]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
Just got back from my second 200 mile round trip on the fridge problem; this is not the fix I had hoped it would be. In fact, it is not a fix at all.

First off, the dealer has bent over backwards to get me to the front of the line (given our upcoming 5,500 mile trip). I have no complaints about Bay Area Airstream.

They installed two fans according to Airstream's direction in order to complement the original fan. One new fan serves the lower vent to draw in outside air, the original fan draws air over/through the coils and the other new fan exhausts heated air out the upper vent (and directly into the back of the propane tank cover; more on that later).

The dealer called me after the fridge had been operating on propane for two days in their parking lot and with 95-100 degree heat and was registering mid 30s in the main box. The dealer was excited as was I. By the time I arrived to pick it up, the box had gone up to 56 degrees. There were long faces all around.

The technician had not installed insulation around the box as he believed that the issue was not a loss of cooling in the box but rather an inability to move heated air out of the enclosure. Given the initial results, it would appear that his presumption made sense.

However, something happened between the phone call and my arrival that had underscored, in my mind, that there is an inherent design flaw with respect to the matching of this particular fridge, the limited air space in the enclosure and the passive venting system. That design issue is apparently serious enough to render the triple fan fix ineffective.

Complicating the dynamic is the proximity of the front propane cover to the intake and exhaust vents. I don't see how <1" between the cover and the screens can allow air transfer sufficient to cool the unit while operating with propane. It is possible that operating on shore power also creates heat that could overcome both the original passive venting system as well as the adding two more fans approach. I know that the fridge originally cooled to near zero in the freezer and 34 in the main box the first time I plugged it in, but it also cooled appropriately with the fan fix for a short time.

I plugged in as soon as I got home and will monitor both box temps for the next 24 hours. I also left the propane engaged to operate the fridge on the 100 mile drive home thinking that, perhaps driving might create additional draw out the exhaust vent. But, the box temp had risen 4 degrees by the time I got home.

My service manager is contacting the national Airstream service manager so that we can discuss options. We will be within 150 or so miles from Airstream in Ohio during the second leg of our trip.

In the meantime, it looks like we will need to carry our Pelican ice chest on our trip in order to reliably keep our food safe. To say we are disappointed with this turn of events does not seem adequate.

I should add that the three fans are very loud. Even if they allowed food safe cooling, they would keep us awake on hot nights.

PS -- Bborzell also posted detailed info in other BC threads, which you can find by clicking on his user name, then choosing "Find More Posts By Bborzell" -- which will save you a lot of reading and searching. After you read one such other post, hit your browser's Back button to go to the search results, and check out the next interesting post, etc..
Old 04-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #353
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
randsfl-

I think outside temp and the temp inside the fridge would be helpful. Also if you're on electric or LP. I'll be posting my info as my next trip is in late April to Florida. Thanks.

-Actual Basecamp Owner
Old 04-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #354
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
I have just returned from a 10 day trip from NY to Florida and back. Overall, I am satisfied with the fridge operation. Outside temps did not exceed 85 degrees in Florida. We operated on LP on the road of course and electric at the site. A couple nights, I went with LP only just to try it out. Granted, the temps did vary quite a bit when I opened the door. Not sure if it was just kicking on or what. Temps varied from the high 20's to the mid 40's. Nothing spoiled. Some items froze a little (baby carrots). I think placement is key. I had a few beers in the fridge that never froze and were always cold when I opened them.

The one item I will be addressing is the fan. I will be replacing with something more quiet and properly isolated from the structure of the BC. The other problem is it is controlled via a temp switch. I don't mind if it's on but one night it must have been right on the edge of the set point. So it would come on and go off at random intervals. A little annoying. I'll add a three position switch - temp control, override fan on, override fan off.

I am also going to look closely at the top vent. If you watch your BC when it rains, the water pours down the middle and lands on top of the vent and mount. I can't help but think this is a potential source of water leakage. I think it really needs a drip channel. We'll see when I open things up.

So in summary, I will not be replacing the fridge with a marine style at this time.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:48 AM   #355
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Several of us have reported that the Basecamp fridge will not cool to a food safe level while on propane (which is the only option while driving).
. . .
Thanks in advance.
Thanks again for starting this thread last year and for your detailed performance reports on the fridge. Has it been fixed to your satisfaction? We are thinking of down-sizing to the BC, but would like to know that the fridge will work in all weather conditions, and that other issues like leaks have been resolved [as discussed in other threads like "2017 Basecamp Issues"].

Thanks,

Peter
Old 05-14-2018, 01:16 AM   #356
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks again for starting this thread last year and for your detailed performance reports on the fridge. Has it been fixed to your satisfaction? We are thinking of down-sizing to the BC, but would like to know that the fridge will work in all weather conditions, and that other issues like leaks have been resolved [as discussed in other threads like "2017 Basecamp Issues"].

Thanks,

Peter
Thanks for the kind words. In fact, I decided to hold off on another fix attempt until AS got things straightened out with a “final” fix. I am scheduled to bring it in on May 18th.

Since the most recent fix I got last year worked for all but the hottest days, our subsequent trips were fairly uneventful from a fridge cooling perspective. Then again, we had taken to carrying a Pelican cooler in the Jeep as a “just in case” back up.

I expect that the new fix will allow us to leave the Pelican at home from now on. If that is not the case, I will let folks here know.

We still like how the BC meets our camping needs.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:21 AM   #357
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks, looking forward to your next report.

Happy trails for this season!

Peter
Old 05-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #358
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Garland , Texas
Ok here is our report on the latest fridge fix vs the West Texas heat. We spent a week there with highs at 100 and the lows in the upper 70s and mostly ran off electric. Didnt stand a chance. We stayed between 45 and 58 degrees in the fridge and relied on our cooler for the most part. I really think the only way we got it down to 45 was because we used 2 blocks of blue ice that we swapped out back and forth from the freezer. The freezer compartment seems to work just fine. Lets face it Texas is hot, but if Airstream is going to market in this climate they need to do the testing here too. Its back in the shop, we will see what they come up with next!
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #359
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae and Ann View Post
Ok here is our report on the latest fridge fix vs the West Texas heat. We spent a week there with highs at 100 and the lows in the upper 70s and mostly ran off electric. Didn’t stand a chance. We stayed between 45 and 58 degrees in the fridge and relied on our cooler for the most part. I really think the only way we got it down to 45 was because we used 2 blocks of blue ice that we swapped out back and forth from the freezer. The freezer compartment seems to work just fine. Let’s face it Texas is hot, but if Airstream is going to market in this climate they need to do the testing here too. It’s back in the shop, we will see what they come up with next!
Ugh !!!

Thanks for the update.

Peter
Old 06-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #360
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .

I am scheduled to bring it in on May 18th.
. . .

Wondering how things are going . . .

Thanks,

Peter