Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2017, 08:21 AM   #301
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
Had the fix done yesterday. I'll do some tests this weekend. Temps aren't hot in NY now so I guess I really won't know for sure until next summer.

Curious if the fans are always on and how loud it is? I went into the dealer and they plugged in a new 2018 unit and turned on fridge but fans never came on cuz prob wasn't hot enuf now. Wondering (hoping) the fans with the fix are on a thermostat.
FricknFrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #302
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyH View Post
This may be beside the point since we don’t live in a hot climate, however it might be a useful data point. We have a 2018 that supposedly has the recall already done (haven’t checked for a 2nd battery).

We used our Basecamp this weekend in a mid-40s outside temperature and the fridge got below freezing (30°F on our thermometer) and froze a bag of carrots!

Yeah we had same thing happen - night time temps in southern UT couple weeks ago in high 30s n main fridge box was below freezing...that unit is a friggin yoyo [emoji849]
Old 11-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #303
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Tomball , Texas
We had our first outing in the Basecamp this weekend so I thought I’d report the fridge perfromance. OAT was from 50-85f, we started on AC to get the fridge cooled (too cool at first, but then I adjusted sliding the thermostat and it settled). It stayed in the low to mid 30’sf, then we switched to propane for our long drive. 12 hours on propane with OAT around 80 and it stayed in the 30’s. Same for the trip back. No complaints!
JDKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #304
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
New thermistor temp adjustment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKnight View Post
. . .
. . . but then I adjusted sliding the thermostat and it settled). . . .
. . .
Are you referring to a thermistor device on one of the cooling fins inside the fridge? It was my understanding that earlier model year Basecamps did not have this feature.

"Thermistor" search results: https://www.google.com/search?q=ther...&bih=731&dpr=2

The 2018 Basecamp owner's manual:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf

. . . does not discuss the thermistor on p. 5-15 [PDF p. 43/86], but perhaps your Dometic fridge manual does? What model is the fridge? If your dealer explained the operation of the thermistor during your orientation to the new trailer, please let us know.

Glad the trip worked out!

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #305
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Tomball , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Are you referring to a thermistor device on one of the cooling fins inside the fridge? It was my understanding that earlier model year Basecamps did not have this feature.

"Thermistor" search results: https://www.google.com/search?q=ther...&bih=731&dpr=2

The 2018 Basecamp owner's manual:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf

. . . does not discuss the thermistor on p. 5-15 [PDF p. 43/86], but perhaps your Dometic fridge manual does? What model is the fridge? If your dealer explained the operation of the thermistor during your orientation to the new trailer, please let us know.

Glad the trip worked out!

Thanks,

Peter
Ours does have a clip on thermistor (but no scale sticker like others I’ve seen). The slider looks like the one in this video. https://youtu.be/n6ZYmTanteQ
Old 11-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #306
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Tomball , Texas
We did not get any form of orientation from the dealer. Frankly learned most from reading. Airstream has been great to work with, the dealer not so much.

Our fridge does have the slider like the one in this video, but doesn’t have the scale sticker on the wall.

https://youtu.be/n6ZYmTanteQ
Old 11-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #307
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKnight View Post
We had our first outing in the Basecamp this weekend so I thought I’d report the fridge perfromance. OAT was from 50-85f, we started on AC to get the fridge cooled (too cool at first, but then I adjusted sliding the thermostat and it settled). It stayed in the low to mid 30’sf, then we switched to propane for our long drive. 12 hours on propane with OAT around 80 and it stayed in the 30’s. Same for the trip back. No complaints!

Thermostat?? [emoji15][emoji15]
Old 11-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #308
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks JDKnight.

FricknFrack, is my recollection correct that your 2017 BC does not have the temp-adjusting thermistor inside the fridge?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 11-28-2017, 04:10 PM   #309
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Just confirming that your Basecamps do not have the thermistor inside the fridge for adjusting the temp, as was just reported in a 2018 BC?

Wondering what your dealer has to say about this. Will you be getting a new and improved fridge as part of the "fix?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Miller View Post
Well, true, but until AS comes up with a workable solution, I'll just use it this way :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocIngersol View Post
. . . I will be 2-3 days late posting my temperature and noise level test data - work and normal life is taking priority.
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
Just went out (10:30 pm) and checked the fridge. It has been on shore power since 7:00 pm or 3.5 hours.
. . .
Old 11-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #310
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Thanks JDKnight.

FricknFrack, is my recollection correct that your 2017 BC does not have the temp-adjusting thermistor inside the fridge?

Thanks,

Peter

Nope no way to adjust my 2017 fridge [emoji58]
Old 11-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #311
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Tucson , Arizona
Refrigerator Performance on Electric Only

Hello Basecampers,

RocIngersol here with more data to bury the already dead horse (refrigerator that is).

Please read my prior posts for other background.

I had the basecamp home this past weekend to put finishing touches on the unit.

Anyways, this time I used digital gauges and with electric only, unit outside facing south, temperature extremes from 58 to 88 deg F. - so pretty typical summer temperatures expected most anywhere in the USA.

Please take a look at the attached pictures for data.

Bottom line, after TSB 172 fix on a 2018 BC, with Solar, Refrigerator NOT reliable - will FREEZE food or heat (SPOIL) food whether on propane or electric.

So, I am going to once again send data to Airstream and hopefully they will address the issue.

My conclusions from my previous post are still the same:

Refrigerators need to be smaller to provide more air space volume, A TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER on the refrigerator. Also, replacement of the black propane cover with an aluminum cover spaced properly from the unit would help reduce heat load.

I have purchased two Yeti Coolers to use while Airstream hopefully resolves the issue. What a situation - A $40,000 unit with a refrigerator that doesn't work.

Anyways, totally frustrated with this situation, I am finished with posting or providing additional information on this Issue.

Best Regards,

RocIngersol
RocIngersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:25 PM   #312
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Thanks JDKnight.

Thanks,

Peter
My 2017 BC does have the thermistor device on one of the cooling fins inside the fridge, but adjusting it made no difference.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:07 AM   #313
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Gail, did you give the system time accurately to reflect your moves of the thermistor? [24 hours or more, with careful measuring of the termperatures both exterior and interior]

We have been amazed at how much of an effect even a small adjustment in the thermistor can make in our FC20. Thus, your judgment of "no difference" seems inconsistent with our experience.

Peter
Old 12-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #314
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI the removal of the cover for the propane tanks may have salutary results:

[click on orange arrow in quote to go to the BC Issues thread]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flats View Post
Not being confident that the current fridge fix is the way to go, and understanding that poor circulation may be the culprit, as well as seeing the box as useless, I went with the naked look. Prepped and painted the propane tanks and mounting parts with aluminum colored paint. The weather has cooled somewhat here in the south, but during a recent 5-day outing the fridge functioned perfectly.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #315
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
seattle , WA
Best current advice on fridge fix?

Hi all - thanks for all of your information in the posts. I am taking my 2017 BC to the dealer next week for the fridge fix. I am not yet asked them exactly what they are proposing. Has anyone found a fix that works? What questions should I be sure to ask?

Thanks!

Melinda
lovetosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #316
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
First test with the fridge fix showed quite a variance of temps (both outside and inside the fridge). I was in Charleston SC with peak temps around 65ish degrees. Lowest temps on the trip were 10 degrees (in Luray, VA). Inside the fridge I saw temps ranging from 28 to 40 degrees. I tried playing with the doohickey that slides up and down the left metal fin inside. Nothing ever really froze up but those veggies with lots of water content (carrots, snap peas) did crystallize.

The fan did come on when it was on the warmer side. It was pretty loud. In the early spring, I'll be opening things up and replacing with a proper quiet fan. I am also curious to see what was done inside. The seals on the louver are a little annoying. They're junk and need to be replaced with new once removed.
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:41 AM   #317
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
First test with the fridge fix showed quite a variance of temps (both outside and inside the fridge). I was in Charleston SC with peak temps around 65ish degrees. Lowest temps on the trip were 10 degrees (in Luray, VA). Inside the fridge I saw temps ranging from 28 to 40 degrees. I tried playing with the doohickey that slides up and down the left metal fin inside. Nothing ever really froze up but those veggies with lots of water content (carrots, snap peas) did crystallize.

The fan did come on when it was on the warmer side. It was pretty loud. In the early spring, I'll be opening things up and replacing with a proper quiet fan. I am also curious to see what was done inside. The seals on the louver are a little annoying. They're junk and need to be replaced with new once removed.
Hi

The gizmo that clips on the fin is a thermistor. There seems to be some debate about people having them on their fridge or not. All the way up *should* be the warmest setting. All the way down should be the coldest setting.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #318
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
I thought all the way up was to set at the coldest setting and low was the warmest setting.
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #319
1 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Bob, the video posted in this thread indicates all the way up is coldest setting
slurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:04 AM   #320
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by slurpee View Post
Bob, the video posted in this thread indicates all the way up is coldest setting
Hi

Try it on yours and see what happens ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote