Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2017, 05:09 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
brooklyn , New York
Shopping for a Basecamp

Hi all:
I have been looking at small fiberglass trailers like the casita and scamp and then remembered the basecamp and now my search is about to begin. Where do I start looking? Advantages and disadvantages between new and used? What changed over the years? I've seen some issues on newer basecamps are they straightened out? I know patience is a virtue but I am hungry for one this summer. I live in New York and plan on spending a lot of the summer and fall around Burlington Vermont.
aisleofview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ml#post1954106

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 05-25-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
2006 31' Classic
2008 25' International
Traverse City, San Diego , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aisleofview View Post
Hi all:
I have been looking at small fiberglass trailers like the casita and scamp and then remembered the basecamp and now my search is about to begin. Where do I start looking? Advantages and disadvantages between new and used? What changed over the years? I've seen some issues on newer basecamps are they straightened out? I know patience is a virtue but I am hungry for one this summer. I live in New York and plan on spending a lot of the summer and fall around Burlington Vermont.
I'd begin by looking at one and seeing how it fits in with what you want. The newest Basecamp is more like an Airstream than a toy hauler. Colonial Airstream might be a good place for you to start. Patrick was an Basecamp enthusiast of the original and has made a video of the new. I've owned four Airstreams and never bought one there, but they have a good reputation and huge inventory.

There were a number of problems on the early '17 Basecamp. Most notable were a leaking water tank, axle recall and a leaking from vent. They have made running changes on all the items.

I bought my Basecamp, built in late April, and have had no problems other than a slight leak on a plumbing compression fitting on the road side. I noticed it quickly, it was fixed quickly.

Hope that helps.
4streams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
I looked at the Scamps and Casistas as well. I really liked the concept but the interiors were so dated. Brand new trailer and it looks like it was built in 1982 and everything is an afterthought. I feel the Basecamp gives you all the amenities you could want in the smallest package. Plus you can stand up in it! A lot of the larger tear drops (T@B for example) I couldn't even stand up straight.
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:36 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Basecamp Auction + Another Alternative

There is currently a Basecamp for sale on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/201934292846 ). I think the auction ends in approximately four days. Another one sold on eBay earlier this month. I think it's sold for about $15,600.00. About three weeks ago there was also one advertised for sale in Oregon asking $19,000.00 at the time. The phone number listed in the ad was +1 (541) 332-6720. It all depends what you're going to use it for. I was seriously on the hunt for a vintage Basecamp untill I came to realize my primary purpose was to haul a Harley around with me and although I remain a loyal Airstream advocate, I finally decided that for my particular application to have a custom all aluminum M/C trailer built with overnight accommodations that could carry two or three motorcycles for a lot less money… Good luck in your search and your final decision. Let me know if I can provide any additional information. Here is a photo of another alternative for your consideration. If you're not trying to haul Harley-Davidson motorcycles you'll never go wrong with Airstream!
Attached Images

RLWardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:11 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Beautiful trailer RLWardd!!!
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Pompano Beach , Florida
Do your research, there's a lot of issues with the base camp that are not resolved yet.
PapaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJeeper View Post
Do your research, there's a lot of issues with the base camp that are not resolved yet.
Or just make sure you buy it from Can-Am, Andrew said today, the ones they've delivered haven't had any leaks or issues...
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote