Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ladera Ranch , California
Seeking BC and a Couple of Questions

Hey campers,

Just putting the word out that I'm seeking a Basecamp (and have in classifieds and intros as well) and have a couple of questions.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see a Basecamp in person before it dawned on me that it's almost purpose-built for the life I'm moving into, but I hope someone can answer a couple of questions I have on the unit.

-Where is the refer typically located on those models that have one? I've seen lots of interior photos of the Basecamp, but haven't seen any refers in the pictures (or at least nothing obvious).

-I have a BMW R1200 GS-Adventure that I plan on putting in the rear for transport. Has anyone loaded a similar bike into the trailer? I see a couple of Harley guys have loaded up, but those bikes tend to be shorter than the BMW.

-Similar question on tie-downs. Have these proven to be reliable for 500 lbs of cargo tied down, or are they more appropriate for a mountain bike or kayak?

-Has the tent issue of gaps/leaks that seemed to be so maddening to some here been addressed by Airstream?

-Finally, is there any chatter about a Basecamp replacement from reliable sources? It didn't sound like this was a very successful project for Airstream and I wonder if they'll try to recover some of the R&D that went into Basecamp (v1?) by bringing about something similar, but with learning incorporated.

I have some feelers out there with some Airstream dealers, but for units that are nearing 3 years old, I'm a bit surprised by the attempts of some dealers to charge full (or near full) MSRP. Not that they aren't entitled, but I've seen a few sell for less than half MSRP with no miles on them yet. I'm looking for my deal now.

Hope to run into some of you on the road soon enough.

BD
bdegroodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Well, no replies here on any of my questions, but I did pull the trigger and am now the owner-to-be of a used-unused Basecamp. It's just waiting for my TV to hook up to it and pull it home. Probably set out to pick it up not this weekend, but next. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdegroodt View Post
Well, no replies here on any of my questions, but I did pull the trigger and am now the owner-to-be of a used-unused Basecamp. It's just waiting for my TV to hook up to it and pull it home. Probably set out to pick it up not this weekend, but next. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
Very cool, Sorry for the lack of replies but I haven't seen many base camps on the forums. Photos please...

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Congrats on your new baby!
I just looked at the forum listings under basecamp and there is quite a bit of good info there. You should be able to head-off some problems with a little reading.
Not too many people seem to have these ones.
Good luck with your new adventure.
Rich the Viking

P.S. I thought you were looking for Boulder Creek when I first read your header.
Us locals refer to it as BC.
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

@silverleeper Thanks and I will definitely post photos when I get my hands on it. I'm fairly surprised there's such a lack of info on the Basecamp here. I'll try to contribute as much as I can to help build up the knowledge base.

@viking Thanks for the suggestions. I did a lot of reading (and a ton of thinking) before I did the deal. Some of this stuff I'll just have to fix myself and I have a few ideas on making it a little better than the original factory config. BTW, your blog is pretty interesting. I could feel my heart racing and my stress levels going up just looking at your pics of the restoration you did. Nice job.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Thanks bdegroodt, I haven't done anything on the Safari since Burningman but I'll be getting back into it soon.
It's not as bad as it looks!
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
Thanks bdegroodt, I haven't done anything on the Safari since Burningman but I'll be getting back into it soon.
It's not as bad as it looks!
Rich the Viking
Ha! I think I've used that line a few times myself. Of course I always leave off the qualifier at the end--"It's worse!" Good luck on the finish.

Looks like I'm heading out weekend after next to pick up the Basecamp. Pics to follow.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Basecamp

You really didn't give anyone time to reply, before you ran off and purchased one. I had thought about picking one up. (There was one for sale locally) Anyway the reason I did not buy it is, it's basicly is a cargo trailer with no bath, that costs way too much money. Just my two cents.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Bella Bella , British Columbia
Congratulations on your new purchase. Don't worry about all the little problems people have found - you will find solutions to any problems you encounter.

Our BC had all the problems you listed - leaking windows, leaking sink etc. We're working through them and will have it all fixed for the summer. The nice thing is that the leaks aren't a huge problem since the inside is all rubber and aluminum.

We have been careful not to let the doors swing open or closed since some people on this forum have reported that they have had a door fall off. I would suggest being careful with this too since it sounds like a huge pain to deal with.

We had someone weld something to extend the benches so that we can sleep lengthwise. This is a really nice option.
dwahl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwahl24 View Post
Congratulations on your new purchase. Don't worry about all the little problems people have found - you will find solutions to any problems you encounter.

Our BC had all the problems you listed - leaking windows, leaking sink etc. We're working through them and will have it all fixed for the summer. The nice thing is that the leaks aren't a huge problem since the inside is all rubber and aluminum.

We have been careful not to let the doors swing open or closed since some people on this forum have reported that they have had a door fall off. I would suggest being careful with this too since it sounds like a huge pain to deal with.

We had someone weld something to extend the benches so that we can sleep lengthwise. This is a really nice option.
Good advice. I haven't had a chance to look yet, but it sounds like some sort of hook system on the side of the trailer and the doors to keep them from going nuts in the wind (or if you're off camber) might be a good first step.

First additions for me are going to be some sort of custom tent/cover off the back as I didn't get a tent included in my deal. I don't know that I'll necessarily look for a full tent, but rather some way to tie into the trailer to anchor a canopy off the back. And a refrigerator. I think the Dometic line seems to be the best of the options I've seen so far.

I'm really looking forward to picking up my first Airstream soon! Thanks everyone for the replies. Except you BigVenture. No apple pie for you for calling my new home a bathless cargo trailer. I kid.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Sorry - haven't checked into the forum in a while...

- the refridgerator goes in the front center console. I don't have one, but have seen the pictures on Airstream's site.

- tie downs - bolt through two 3/4 inch plywood sheets that make up the floor. I can't see these failing under normal use. If it were my bike, I'd add a wheel chock for the front just to make it easier to secure.

- the tent... we paid $1200 for it, which was a rip-off, but we couldn't find one anywhere. It looks good, but there are several Mini-van/SUV style tents that will fit as well... some of there are cheap. The Kelty unit has issues with the doors interfering with the tent when open... if you aren't careful you can rip the tent. The gap around the side is manageable, but for next season, I am going to look into some magnets or velcro to make it more secure. The gap around the bottom door can be filled with some small pillows. The tent has no fly, but we stayed dry in light rain. We also use a UV blocking tarp (its kind of a mesh tarp) underneath as a ground sheet, and on the inside we use the 2x2 square carpet to make a 6x8 'floor' so we don't wreck it. Like I said... it looks nice...

- Basecamp replacement? I can't see it... the problem is to make this truly a workable concept, it needs to be just a bit bigger... the back door design would be OK if there were some precise alignment and quality workmanship. If they are going to put them together as crappy as mine, they need a 1 piece overhead door. The whole concept of having to lower the rear deck just to get in and out is not good. Sleeping cross-ways is always going to exclude a certain number of people... but, they might not 'fit' in an RV bed anyway. I just can't see them addressing these issues without making it even more expensive - which was the Basecamp's demise in the first place... toomuch money

Airstream is liquidating any leftover Basecamp parts... so I think ressurecting the original design is not likely. I just hope they can get windows and such for many years, as we've broken 1 front window already (another crappy design - tempered glass front windows... with no covers...)

For what it is, we like our Basecamp, it tows nice, and looks cool... but when I see 22 foot Airstreams on eBay for $12-15K, I wonder...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:30 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
New York , New York
Quote:
Glad to see a fellow BMW guy with the good sense to get a Basecamp!

Click the URL below to see a BMW R90S being unloaded from a Basecamp.

Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
New York , New York
The rest of the message!

Quote:
Hey campers,

Just putting the word out that I'm seeking a Basecamp (and have in classifieds and intros as well) and have a couple of questions.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see a Basecamp in person before it dawned on me that it's almost purpose-built for the life I'm moving into, but I hope someone can answer a couple of questions I have on the unit.

-Where is the refer typically located on those models that have one? I've seen lots of interior photos of the Basecamp, but haven't seen any refers in the pictures (or at least nothing obvious).

-I have a BMW R1200 GS-Adventure that I plan on putting in the rear for transport. Has anyone loaded a similar bike into the trailer? I see a couple of Harley guys have loaded up, but those bikes tend to be shorter than the BMW.

-Similar question on tie-downs. Have these proven to be reliable for 500 lbs of cargo tied down, or are they more appropriate for a mountain bike or kayak?

-Has the tent issue of gaps/leaks that seemed to be so maddening to some here been addressed by Airstream?

-Finally, is there any chatter about a Basecamp replacement from reliable sources? It didn't sound like this was a very successful project for Airstream and I wonder if they'll try to recover some of the R&D that went into Basecamp (v1?) by bringing about something similar, but with learning incorporated.

I have some feelers out there with some Airstream dealers, but for units that are nearing 3 years old, I'm a bit surprised by the attempts of some dealers to charge full (or near full) MSRP. Not that they aren't entitled, but I've seen a few sell for less than half MSRP with no miles on them yet. I'm looking for my deal now.

Hope to run into some of you on the road soon enough.

BD

For some reason, the following did not upload regarding the Basecamp and BMW R90S. Here it is!

The original tie downs are supplemented with a Baxly front wheel sport chock. Bike can be in the center of BC or (as I did with mine) offset to the right so one can "nap" on the RS couch while in transit.

Mods I've done include an undertrailer mount for the ramp and cabinet magnet locks on the inside of the cabinet doors.

I've found the included tent to be more trouble than it's worth ... and am currently using a Caravan 10 x 10 (in fire red!). It's the only one I found that is tall enough to fit the tent "gap" on the top of the trailer.

Also added the following essentials:

a top-of-the-line Aero full-sized inflatable bed that is a perfect fit (and wonderfully comfortable) when both couches are down

a 2000w generator

a 26" HDTV/DVD

a spare propane tank (from Airstream at a shocking $221, and not even filled!)

a Polonis heater (w/5 discs) that is excellent for the BC

a Thetford 135 marine port-a-potty (for those 4:00 am #1's)

See you at Bike Week 2010?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Cypress , Texas
I've just listed mine on e-bay, and it's on this forum as well. To auction for 7 days. It's a 2007 model with kelty tent. We've only, and unfortunately, used it 4 times due to many job and schedule conflicts. Have camped in central Texas hill country. Pulls easily with a 6 cyl suv and I had also loaded and carried a Harley Road King Classic with ease. Had early leak issues around the door seals which the dealer repaired under warranty. Have the kelty tent and travel bags. The kelty tent takes about 10 - 15 minutes to set up and adds ample living space. We keep a table and chairs and cooler in the tent. Experienced some heavy rains with just a little seepage in the tent. The key is getting the interface between the tent and the basecamp tight.

We've really enjoyed wat time we've had, hope yours is as fun for you. Really draws a crowd wherever we go. Met alot of nice folks that way.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Now we're cooking with gas. Thanks guys. And Rhyder, see ya there!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Well, she's home. Actually it might be, "he's home" as I've already fielded 5 different questions about what kind of horse trailer the BC is and might decide to name it Trigger.

In any case, some quick thoughts.

-Paid $16,750 (OTD in CO, but not including sales tax and registration which will be another $1,700 in CA)
-Drove it home ~1250 miles across Colorado Springs down 25 and across 40 to Los Angeles
-TV is a Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ Hemi V8. Power was more than sufficient and the trailer tows very nice (a whole lot better than my first tow experience--a UHaul trailer).
-Gas mileage took a huge hit. I lost about 20% in fuel mileage with the trailer (280 vs 360 miles from a 17 gallon tank). Some of this was due to the climbs over the mountains and I had to learn that setting cruise control on mountains with a trailer is a good way to run the tank empty fast. I'd say I'm probably still going to lose about that percentage of fuel economy on average with the trailer though. Even on flat land back to CA I wasn't getting much closer to normal mileage.
-If it weren't for my motorcycle, I'd make a deal on a new Bambi today. I'm happy with the Basecamp as it is purpose built for what I'm doing, but it's a world of difference from a self-contained unit.

Next up, registering it, adding a generator (see question below), adding a ramp (suggestions?), softening up the interior a tad, loading it up and having a good time.

Questions:

-Is a Honda EU1000i enough to keep the batteries topped off regularly? I'm new to the concept of needing to account for every watt/volt used/needed and am not sure where I need to be when it comes to the generator. Would the 1000 be enough, of do I need to pony up for the 2000?

-Would love to know how anyone's worked with a ramp and motorcycle on this unit. Any ramps already built that seem to work best? Or is this a custom deal?

-TV? Unclear if the TV amplifier actually pulls in anything worth watching or if it's network fuzzy TV and bug fights.

Here we are coming across Santa Fe.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
New York , New York
Answers to two of your questions

You are going to enjoy your BC! Outfitting is a learning experience, and fun. The following should save you some time:

Ramp. The original ramp sold for close to $200, but can be had on Amazon for less than $100 - just Google "Highland 11208 Aluminum Bi-Fold Utility Ramp." I've got it (them, there are two), have used it with my BMWs (R90S, HP2 Sport), and recommend it without reservation. To see it in action, go to YouTube and search on "Basecamp+R90S" or "Basecamp+HP2 Sport).

Generator. I you want to run a heater on cold mornings, most are 1,500 Watts, so the 1,000 will be too little. I've got the Honda EU2000i (best price from Wise Industries). This is also highly recommended but with one reservation, which would be applicable to all generators; you will need an external fuel tank to make your life easier.

I found a supplier who sells the most complete 6-gallon unit for about $90.00 including shipping. Go to Ebay and search for "Honda generator fuel tank" then find "jonkers36," who is the seller. Tell him I sent you!

If you need a heater, I found two: the first is a 1,500 watt job from Home Depot for about $20. It was hard to regulate and steamed me right of the BC! The second is the Pelonis 5-disc ceramic job, also 1,500 watts, but it has a thermostat and works great! Found it on Amazon for about $120.

In you want to seep in real comfort, the AeroBed 11812, which is a full-sized bed (74" x 54") that fits beautifully on the connected couches, is a good choice. The motor is built into the unit, so inflation/deflation is a breeze. Got it from dealyard.com for about $120 delivered.

Finally, you can mount the ramp under the trailer (in front of the axle) by using a pair of 1" x 36" galvanized strips (about $5 each at True Value) and a lot of measuring! I drilled holes through the floor to bolt the strips - the bottom of the trailer seemed too "soft" to use screws.

Hope this helps.

Rhyder
Old 12-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Congrats! I really like the BC.. would be nice for mtb trips.. but alas.. no room for the kids. Just by looking at the shadow, it looks like you might want to get a weight distribution setup (with small bars) and sway control.. esp when you load your motorcycle. It'll help make things even calmer in the tow car.
Enjoy!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Colorado Springs , Colorado
Good luck with your Basecamp. I have sold over 30 units in the last 3 years. Almost everyone that I have sold still own the units. This tells a huge story in itself.

If you do get the tent add a Velcro strip to the top channel. This will help secure the tent in heavy wind.

Hey Rhyder that was an awsome video. Nice quality what kind of camera did you use?
Bullet4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet4sale View Post
Good luck with your Basecamp. I have sold over 30 units in the last 3 years. Almost everyone that I have sold still own the units. This tells a huge story in itself.

If you do get the tent add a Velcro strip to the top channel. This will help secure the tent in heavy wind.

Hey Rhyder that was an awsome video. Nice quality what kind of camera did you use?
That does say a lot. I'm really looking forward to getting it out. I have to say if I didn't have the motorcycle, the BC wouldn't be with me. I'd be onto a Bambi/International in a minute. That said, it's a great trailer for what I'm using it for.

As for the tent, I don't think I'll do the tent, but I might look into making a modification to the tubes or the top channel to allow me to attach a tarp to provide some outdoor space under cover. I'm thinking I could probably just tie off on the roof tubes, but that's a project for after the heat and fridge and generator.

One piece of damage I found is the netting in the door is so stretched it's unusable. Anyone know where a replacement cargo net can be found?

Big thanks to everyone that's given their thoughts and advice on what works in this trailer. It's helping a lot.

Tags
basecamp