Old 12-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Ladera Ranch , California
Now we're cooking with gas. Thanks guys. And Rhyder, see ya there!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Well, she's home. Actually it might be, "he's home" as I've already fielded 5 different questions about what kind of horse trailer the BC is and might decide to name it Trigger.

In any case, some quick thoughts.

-Paid $16,750 (OTD in CO, but not including sales tax and registration which will be another $1,700 in CA)
-Drove it home ~1250 miles across Colorado Springs down 25 and across 40 to Los Angeles
-TV is a Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ Hemi V8. Power was more than sufficient and the trailer tows very nice (a whole lot better than my first tow experience--a UHaul trailer).
-Gas mileage took a huge hit. I lost about 20% in fuel mileage with the trailer (280 vs 360 miles from a 17 gallon tank). Some of this was due to the climbs over the mountains and I had to learn that setting cruise control on mountains with a trailer is a good way to run the tank empty fast. I'd say I'm probably still going to lose about that percentage of fuel economy on average with the trailer though. Even on flat land back to CA I wasn't getting much closer to normal mileage.
-If it weren't for my motorcycle, I'd make a deal on a new Bambi today. I'm happy with the Basecamp as it is purpose built for what I'm doing, but it's a world of difference from a self-contained unit.

Next up, registering it, adding a generator (see question below), adding a ramp (suggestions?), softening up the interior a tad, loading it up and having a good time.

Questions:

-Is a Honda EU1000i enough to keep the batteries topped off regularly? I'm new to the concept of needing to account for every watt/volt used/needed and am not sure where I need to be when it comes to the generator. Would the 1000 be enough, of do I need to pony up for the 2000?

-Would love to know how anyone's worked with a ramp and motorcycle on this unit. Any ramps already built that seem to work best? Or is this a custom deal?

-TV? Unclear if the TV amplifier actually pulls in anything worth watching or if it's network fuzzy TV and bug fights.

Here we are coming across Santa Fe.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
New York , New York
Answers to two of your questions

You are going to enjoy your BC! Outfitting is a learning experience, and fun. The following should save you some time:

Ramp. The original ramp sold for close to $200, but can be had on Amazon for less than $100 - just Google "Highland 11208 Aluminum Bi-Fold Utility Ramp." I've got it (them, there are two), have used it with my BMWs (R90S, HP2 Sport), and recommend it without reservation. To see it in action, go to YouTube and search on "Basecamp+R90S" or "Basecamp+HP2 Sport).

Generator. I you want to run a heater on cold mornings, most are 1,500 Watts, so the 1,000 will be too little. I've got the Honda EU2000i (best price from Wise Industries). This is also highly recommended but with one reservation, which would be applicable to all generators; you will need an external fuel tank to make your life easier.

I found a supplier who sells the most complete 6-gallon unit for about $90.00 including shipping. Go to Ebay and search for "Honda generator fuel tank" then find "jonkers36," who is the seller. Tell him I sent you!

If you need a heater, I found two: the first is a 1,500 watt job from Home Depot for about $20. It was hard to regulate and steamed me right of the BC! The second is the Pelonis 5-disc ceramic job, also 1,500 watts, but it has a thermostat and works great! Found it on Amazon for about $120.

In you want to seep in real comfort, the AeroBed 11812, which is a full-sized bed (74" x 54") that fits beautifully on the connected couches, is a good choice. The motor is built into the unit, so inflation/deflation is a breeze. Got it from dealyard.com for about $120 delivered.

Finally, you can mount the ramp under the trailer (in front of the axle) by using a pair of 1" x 36" galvanized strips (about $5 each at True Value) and a lot of measuring! I drilled holes through the floor to bolt the strips - the bottom of the trailer seemed too "soft" to use screws.

Hope this helps.

Rhyder
Old 12-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Congrats! I really like the BC.. would be nice for mtb trips.. but alas.. no room for the kids. Just by looking at the shadow, it looks like you might want to get a weight distribution setup (with small bars) and sway control.. esp when you load your motorcycle. It'll help make things even calmer in the tow car.
Enjoy!
Marc
Old 12-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Colorado Springs , Colorado
Good luck with your Basecamp. I have sold over 30 units in the last 3 years. Almost everyone that I have sold still own the units. This tells a huge story in itself.

If you do get the tent add a Velcro strip to the top channel. This will help secure the tent in heavy wind.

Hey Rhyder that was an awsome video. Nice quality what kind of camera did you use?
Old 12-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet4sale View Post
Good luck with your Basecamp. I have sold over 30 units in the last 3 years. Almost everyone that I have sold still own the units. This tells a huge story in itself.

If you do get the tent add a Velcro strip to the top channel. This will help secure the tent in heavy wind.

Hey Rhyder that was an awsome video. Nice quality what kind of camera did you use?
That does say a lot. I'm really looking forward to getting it out. I have to say if I didn't have the motorcycle, the BC wouldn't be with me. I'd be onto a Bambi/International in a minute. That said, it's a great trailer for what I'm using it for.

As for the tent, I don't think I'll do the tent, but I might look into making a modification to the tubes or the top channel to allow me to attach a tarp to provide some outdoor space under cover. I'm thinking I could probably just tie off on the roof tubes, but that's a project for after the heat and fridge and generator.

One piece of damage I found is the netting in the door is so stretched it's unusable. Anyone know where a replacement cargo net can be found?

Big thanks to everyone that's given their thoughts and advice on what works in this trailer. It's helping a lot.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Great picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdegroodt View Post
Well, she's home. Actually it might be, "he's home" as I've already fielded 5 different questions about what kind of horse trailer the BC is and might decide to name it Trigger.

Here we are coming across Santa Fe.

What a great shot! Congratulations on "Trigger". I've only seen one Basecamp and I loved it. Enjoy!
Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Cypress , Texas
Ramp for Loading a motorcycle

I bought a heavy duty morotcycle/atv ramp from, I think it was "Ramps.com". It comes in sections and you can tether them together but it then weighs in about 60 lbs if fully assenmbled, or set them in place seperately as

1 center ramp to run the bike up on
2 side runs, so you can walk it/guide it up safely

it fit perfectly onto the BC with straps to tie to the floor rails to hold in place. I store the ramps in the back of my suv, but they could also be stored in the BC.

I carry a Harley Davidson Road King Classic.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
the netting is just super soft. The overhead gear stows are no better. The only thing I can think is to buy some non-stretch webbing and sew your own replacement... The overheads are rivited to the wall though... so that will be some work. Even a sleeping bag in them will sag 2 feet...
Old 01-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Basecamp Now For Sale

I ran into some hitches in the plan and looks like I'm going on the first part of my journey sans Basecamp. Sad to do this, but I can't cover the kind of miles and terrain I'm looking to do internationally with a trailer in tow. So it's back to just me and the BMW (motorcycle) through the end of the year. So, I'm selling my Basecamp. If anyone's interested this is the ad I have for the trailer I just bought. Selling at a loss at $16,000.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Strike that. I'd take down the previous post if I could. In any case, figured out a revised, revised plan and am keeping the trailer. Sorry to disappoint.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #26
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Strike that. I'd take down the previous post if I could. In any case, figured out a revised, revised plan and am keeping the trailer. Sorry to disappoint.
I'm glad to hear you are going to be able to keep the trailer. I think they are great for what they were designed. I am curios where you are going on your trip. It sounds like an adventure.
Regards,
Ken
Old 01-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I'm glad to hear you are going to be able to keep the trailer. I think they are great for what they were designed. I am curios where you are going on your trip. It sounds like an adventure.
Regards,
Ken
First leg was to be south into MX to Central America and South America, but I'm going to keep the first 8 months or so domestic for now. After that I'll probably either sell the trailer or store it for my return. Planning on going 'round the world by motorcycle. For now that'll start with AZ, NM, CO until somewhere around August.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #28
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
First leg was to be south into MX to Central America and South America, but I'm going to keep the first 8 months or so domestic for now. After that I'll probably either sell the trailer or store it for my return. Planning on going 'round the world by motorcycle. For now that'll start with AZ, NM, CO until somewhere around August.
Thanks for the info.
I hope you can post here on you trip so wee can monitor your progess.
Regards,
Ken

Tags
basecamp