Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
The military reduces pressure in tires after raising weight off them - 15psi for storage is what I've read for 'mothballing' vehicles...
Old 08-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Bob,

Have you considered putting the trailer up on jack stands when you park it to get the tires up off the ground. You wouldn't get flat spots that way and it would save you towing it around every couple of weeks.

Barry
No, I haven't. Being realistic here for a second, just how often should we HAVE to tow our trailers (have v. want). There is no reason in the world that I can think of that I should "have" to hitch up every two weeks and tow for ten or twenty miles to prevent flat spots on my tires, much less keep the trailer up on stands if it's going to sit a couple of weeks.

I'm thinking it would be better to get rid of the 20" rims and 275/45 tires and going with "standard" 15" Airstream rims and Marathons. I called Airstream this afternoon to discuss just that with them (as a warranty issue), but they were not receptive to the idea. The person I spoke with claimed that they use a different axle for the trailers with 20" rims than the ones with 15" rims. Since there is a difference in 1.5" in tire diameter between the two (28.3" for ST225/75R15 and 29.8" for P275/45R20 according to the Goodyear website), I find it impossible to believe the lowering of the chassis 3/4" would require a different axle.

From all of the reading I've done in the past couple of days, those tires (275/45R 20 Goodyear Eagle GT II) are not designed to be used on trailers. I'm going to bring it up with Colonial and see if they can get Airstream's attention more than I could. If the problem is indeed the brake drums/wheels/tires (and I'm pretty sure the root cause is there), the problem won't go away by itself. I'm perfectly willing to bring the trailer back to the dealer after every rainstorm to get the leaks fixed if that's what it takes. Sooner or later, someone will get the message and FIX the problem.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #23
_

. , .
hi bob

yea that was my point about the 20s...

they aren't much good for trailers OR tow vehicles...

as noted in posts #12 and 20 here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ize-25739.html

isn't the bcamp available 2 axle options +/- 500 lbs?

perhaps therein lies the difference...

even if the running gear isn't the cause of d'leaks....

opting for 15s or 16s on the trailer is wise.

once again the ONLY functional reason for 20s is to accommodate bigger brakes.

did the bcamp come with a spare tire or a roll of tape?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
As I've said before in other threads, most (if not all) 20" tires are not rated for trailer use, either towing or being towed. I know Airstream's idea was to help make the trailer more high-performance, thus the low pro tires, but low-pro tires RIDE ROUGH. They will transmit more road sock to the trailer than higher profile tires, as there is less sidewall to flex and absorb impacts.
If you don't want the low-pro tires on your basecamp, try finding a pair of LT 16" tires and wheels that will be of a comparable height. You will notice two things: 1- the trailer will ride more smoothly, and 2- the trailer will tend to sway more.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Bob

I was wondering why you were towing your trailer every now and then. If you knew something about the 20" tires I have yet to learn (I do have a lot to learn about a lot of things , some of them I knew once and have forgotten)

I have several vehicles, some with low profile tires. They sit around, a lot more now than when I was the primary driver but anyways, they sit for sometimes months at a time till I convince the lady of my life to take me for a toot in one. I hook up the battery and off we go. Nary a problem with flat spots on the tires. The last time I had a flat spot happen with a radial was better than 20 years ago and I attribute part of that to the fact that the tire was sitting on dirt and not cement or gravel for several years between moves.

Anyway, I do lift my trailer up for the winter but for a different reason. After raising it to re-grease the wheel bearings, grease the axle/spring Zerk's, and check everything underneath for tightness and to ensure it's nicely sealed up from critters for the winter I'm too lazy to take it back down. It may as well sit in the air for the winter, after all, it is an Air stream .

That's my take on it at least for what it's worth.

Barry
Old 08-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
It may as well sit in the air for the winter, after all, it is an Air stream .
Groan...
I have found the flat-spotted tires, at least around here, come from months of not moving, and the air slowly coming out of them. Once they get to a certain point, the tires will take a 'set', kind of like the old bias tires did. Unlike the bias tires, though, they seem to remain unround (is that a word?) for quite a while.